The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

track time

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I live in the tampa bay area of Florida and have had my new boss since October. I have never taken a car out on at track before, but I am looking forward to getting started. can anyone help me out with some suggestions? I assume car clubs in the area offer track time, but I would like to hear from you guys. how do I get started?

http://www.trackweekend.com

HOD is a good club to start with

http://www.hookedondriving.com/hooked-on-driving-region/Florida

Palm Beach is a good starter track in IMO. Any questions let us know.

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
Chin Motorsports and NASA Florida are also good groups that run in FL and both go to Sebring which is close to Tampa. Also might be a good idea to go to an Autox or 2, Gulf Coast Autocrossers in Ft Myers has a great site and long courses.

Peter

NASA will put an instructor with you the first time you go, might be helpful since you have never been on the track. Not sure what other groups do that.

OLOABoss said:
Chin Motorsports and NASA Florida are also good groups that run in FL and both go to Sebring which is close to Tampa. Also might be a good idea to go to an Autox or 2, Gulf Coast Autocrossers in Ft Myers has a great site and long courses.

Missed that, thanks Peter. CHIN would be a great group to start with also. Very structured and from what I have seen good instructors. I always think HOD because of the laid back atmosphere but still keeping an eye on safety. Another good thing about HOD is the liberal policy if you can not make the event for some reason and the run time in normally more then the other clubs. I have never ran NASA, mostly because of the limited track time, so I don't know about them.

One reason I suggested PBIR is that I was lost my first time out on Sebring. The PB layout is easy to learn as a first timer and can be fun, three esses, long sweeping turns with room for error and the longest straight to get the need for speed out of your system before learning how to negotiate turns.

GA
I have done a few track weekends with NASA-SE. The track time was about 8 x 20 min sessions over the weekend, which is not a whole lot for the money. This time can get cut even shorter by a couple of bad incidents, since there is DE, Time Trials, and WTW racing going on the whole weekend. They have great structure and instruction, and if you want to time trial or race that is the reason to stick with them.

Groups like CHIN and HOD will give you a lot more track time for usually not much more money, and they have some good instructors; these kinds of groups are best for the driver who wants to drive on a track but has no interest in competing. Some of the regional Mustang clubs also put on driving events for a good price with lots of track time, so check the MCA web site at www.mustang.org.

Another one to look out for in Florida is the annual Camp Steeda at Sebring. This year it is May 26-27 and you register at www.trackguys.motorsportreg.com, info at http://www.trackguys.com/?page_id=184

thanks guys, alot of good information here. I'll start checking into it, and look forward to posting about my first track experience. It will be nice to wind this Boss out a little bit without johnny law running me down :D

GA
BOSS2058 said:
thanks guys, alot of good information here. I'll start checking into it, and look forward to posting about my first track experience. It will be nice to wind this Boss out a little bit without johnny law running me down :D

I will be running at a weekend at Road Atlanta with HOD in a couple of weeks. It has a nice long back straight to open up on. ;D

Just to give you an example, with NASA you get 160 minutes of track time for $399, and with HOD I will be getting 210 minutes of track time for $475. That works out to about $2.50 a minute with NASA versus $2.25 a minute with HOD. The event is also being shared with a vintage car racing group, so there will be a lot of cool cars there (probably including some Trans AM Bosses)

HOD is sometimes more expensive though- it just depends on the track. NASA has a high participation rate to help reduce the overall costs, which generally makes it more affordable. If HOD or others are a single day event, then you usually get a little less track time but you save by not having to spend another night in a hotel. NASA normally only runs full weekends.

160 minutes of track time - 210 minutes of track time. That works out to about $2.50 a minute with NASA versus $2.25 a minute with HOD.

I only see 50 minutes more track time ;D I would rather pay more for the time, loading the car, tires, gas then driving to the event and gas for that etc is where the work and money is. I'm not going through all that for three runs even if it is cheap. Besides it takes me three runs to remember how to drive after a month off :(

At first I had mixed feelings about HOD here. However as time has gone on I really like the way Henry and Adam run things. They really look out for the drivers and getting as much from the day as possible. Henry has cancelled dates when bad weather is coming, once it was bad move but the other times it rained all day and we would not have been able to run. Other groups will not refund money if there is a hurricane.

Lately Henry has made low turn out dates into two run groups, 30 on and 30 off, I love it. Plus you get more clean laps at a HOD event then any of the others. In the end I always pick HOD over the other groups unless they are running HMS or PBIR and another group is at Sebring.

BTW, Peter I just signed up for Sun the 25th, you going?

GA
2012YellowBoss said:
160 minutes of track time - 210 minutes of track time. That works out to about $2.50 a minute with NASA versus $2.25 a minute with HOD.

I only see 50 minutes more track time ;D I would rather pay more for the time, loading the car, tires, gas then driving to the event and gas for that etc is where the work and money is. I'm not going through all that for three runs even if it is cheap. Besides it takes me three runs to remember how to drive after a month off :(

At first I had mixed feelings about HOD here. However as time has gone on I really like the way Henry and Adam run things. They really look out for the drivers and getting as much from the day as possible. Henry has cancelled dates when bad weather is coming, once it was bad move but the other times it rained all day and we would not have been able to run. Other groups will not refund money if there is a hurricane.

Lately Henry has made low turn out dates into two run groups, 30 on and 30 off, I love it. Plus you get more clean laps at a HOD event then any of the others. In the end I always pick HOD over the other groups unless they are running HMS or PBIR and another group is at Sebring.

BTW, Peter I just signed up for Sun the 25th, you going?

Pussies - what's a little wind and rain? ;) That's good that HOD can do that down there. They must have a very good relationship with the tracks. It looks like most of their events are on two tracks, Homestead and Palm Beach. You need to come up this way and experience some elevation changes. ;D

The tracks like Road Atlanta, AMP, Barber, and VIR are very expensive to rent, so unless the group caters to people with big bucks they need more run groups and drivers to make it affordable. HOD couldn't do a weekend at RA for $475 by themselves. There are only 2 run groups to make the most of the available track time. They have dates at Roebling that are cheaper with more track time, but it ain't no Road Atlanta. Dave Auer, guy that runs HOD Southeast, is a really nice guy and runs the program well. I like their one-day events because they seem to be the most bang for the buck and effort.

It is a question of whether it is worth it for me too sometimes. RA and AMP are expensive, but they are only a little over an hour away from me. Barber is expensive and 2 1/2 hours, but still worth it. CMP and Roebling are 1/2 the price and are 4-5 hours away, so they are once-a-year events for me (Roebling is only if I have an excuse to go to Savannah like the SMC car show since it didn't thrill me). VIR and Summit Point are about 8 hours away and definitely worth it. I have to do NJMP, Watkins Glen, Road America, Autobahn CC, Mid Ohio, Leguna Seca, Thunder Hill, Infineon, and Willow Springs at least once in my life.

RA will spoil you for other tracks, so maybe you should stay in Florida. ;)

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
Yep I will be at Sebring the 25th with Chin

I also like HOD both FL with Henry and Southern States HOD.

NASA FL is not as crowded as NASA SE, which is a victim of it's own success.

Road Atlanta is a good track but it isn't the end all of tracks. ;)

Tracks I have time on
Homestead
Sebring
PBIR
Daytona
Roebling Road
CMP
VIR Full, North, South
Beavrun
Mid Ohio
Road America
Autobahn South
Road Atlanta
Barber
No Problem
Hallett
Pueblo
High Plains

Peter

GA
OLOABoss said:
Yep I will be at Sebring the 25th with Chin

I also like HOD both FL with Henry and Southern States HOD.

NASA FL is not as crowded as NASA SE, which is a victim of it's own success.

Road Atlanta is a good track but it isn't the end all of tracks. ;)

Tracks I have time on
Homestead
Sebring
PBIR
Daytona
Roebling Road
CMP
VIR Full, North, South
Beavrun
Mid Ohio
Road America
Autobahn South
Road Atlanta
Barber
No Problem
Hallett
Pueblo
High Plains

Peter

Yep, agree on the NASA-SE comment. They still run a great operation given the size.

Regarding Road Atlanta, I bet there are better waiting to be experienced!

Hmmm...Beaverun. :D

My bro and his friends track bikes, I do cars along with some of our other friends. We have rented out Thunderhill for a day a couple times, have like 6 planned this year, and it usually works out to about $500 for one day. Expensive, but we get a lot of track time in that one day as it is 2 groups and the car group usually only has 3 people. I personally prefer going with a bigger group to practice passing, etc in my E30, but the Boss is going to be just for giggles so not having to deal with traffic will probably be fun. Usually it is me, a GT3RS, and a Rousch Mustang so the E30 is pretty well outgunned. Hoping to be a little more competitive with 3x the hp next time ;D

I don't know how much other tracks cost, but if you guys have groups of friends who track cars you can see about doing the same thing. The $500 includes corner workers, safety crew, etc.

CaliMR said:
My bro and his friends track bikes, I do cars along with some of our other friends. We have rented out Thunderhill for a day a couple times, have like 6 planned this year, and it usually works out to about $500 for one day. Expensive, but we get a lot of track time in that one day as it is 2 groups and the car group usually only has 3 people. I personally prefer going with a bigger group to practice passing, etc in my E30, but the Boss is going to be just for giggles so not having to deal with traffic will probably be fun. Usually it is me, a GT3RS, and a Rousch Mustang so the E30 is pretty well outgunned. Hoping to be a little more competitive with 3x the hp next time ;D

I don't know how much other tracks cost, but if you guys have groups of friends who track cars you can see about doing the same thing. The $500 includes corner workers, safety crew, etc.
Please keep me posted on these days if you can invite others.

I can, but you have been warned on the price. It fluctuates a bit depending how many people we get. Plus I would have to meet you at some point beforehand so I know we aren't getting a squid crashing the event ;)

Henry has a good relationship with HMS and PBIR, the days canceled this year were from Hurricanes and tropical storms. One was Sebring and the the Hurricane never came close but I guess the track agreed. I know he has had a hard time getting any good dates at Sebring and that is why none are scheduled there - yet.

Every group down here is about the same price $300 for all tracks ($400 Daytona). The only cheaper group is ERME but the last time I was there the drivers scared me too much. Roebling is the next closest to me and someday I will hit that along with RA. The truth is, I have a long way too go and a lot to learn. Making the trip there next year I think will be a lot more fun with better skills.

As far as NASA goes I am not putting it down but for where I am at now the other groups just make more sense considering the time and money.

Peter, see you there. I am also planning the PCA this month and other CHIN dates at Sebring. Last year I went to the Trackguys but did not run, this year I will.

PJ, have you ever ran with Rezoom up that way?

2012YellowBoss said:
Peter, see you there. I am also planning the PCA this month and other CHIN dates at Sebring. Last year I went to the Trackguys but did not run, this year I will.

Are you talking about the Track Guys at Sebring this May? I'm thinking about going, and there are two other 302Ss from Texas that are going.

TMO Supporting Vendors