The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track tire options/input

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've been thinking about what tire and setup to go with. I just ordered a set of the R-spec wheels, and with those wheels there are many options. Unfortunately though, there are very limited options in the OEM 315/30 size. On the fronts you could go with a 295/30 or 305/30, and on the rears you could go with a 305/30 to a 325/30. For me, it seems I will likely either go 305 squared or 305/325. My goal is to stick with a treaded R-comp so I have the option of driving to and from the track. I'm leaning toward 305 squared because initial reports say the non-R has a bit of understeer. I'm concerned a 305/325 setup would continue to promote the understeer tendency, whereas a 305 f/r may neutralize the understeer. I do like the performance and price point of the R888, and the NT01 is also a good budget option. I could run both of those tires in either 305 squared or 305/325. What would you do?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
I have run both the NT01 and R888 in a 305. They are different but similar at the same time. The NT01 requires almost no heat in the tire before it gets full grip where as the R888 takes a little longer to get to max grip. The NT01 is also a very soft tire, both the tread and the sidewall. I didn't like this feeling because it gave me less feedback through the steering wheel, the car felt like it was moving around a lot, and it will make you feel like you've installed a softer set of springs on the car. The R888's will give you more feedback and my R888's lasted longer than the NT01's. If you have a set of tires side by side to compare this is the best analogy I can give...the tread on the NT01 feels like an eraser where as the R888's tread feels more like a traditional R compound or non-DOT slick. The grip levels are pretty comparable and I know many will say the R888's don't stand up well to heavy cars because they get greasy. I will argue that both tires fall off around the same point when they get too hot. I would go with whatever is more readily available and cheaper. You can drive both of them to and from the track legally but they are not going to be a good road tire and definitely be careful in the wet. Hope this helps.

Adam

Flyboygsxr said:
I have run both the NT01 and R888 in a 305. They are different but similar at the same time. The NT01 requires almost no heat in the tire before it gets full grip where as the R888 takes a little longer to get to max grip. The NT01 is also a very soft tire, both the tread and the sidewall. I didn't like this feeling because it gave me less feedback through the steering wheel, the car felt like it was moving around a lot, and it will make you feel like you've installed a softer set of springs on the car. The R888's will give you more feedback and my R888's lasted longer than the NT01's. If you have a set of tires side by side to compare this is the best analogy I can give...the tread on the NT01 feels like an eraser where as the R888's tread feels more like a traditional R compound or non-DOT slick. The grip levels are pretty comparable and I know many will say the R888's don't stand up well to heavy cars because they get greasy. I will argue that both tires fall off around the same point when they get too hot. I would go with whatever is more readily available and cheaper. You can drive both of them to and from the track legally but they are not going to be a good road tire and definitely be careful in the wet. Hope this helps.

Adam

Thanks for the reply. I have experience running both tires and could not have put a comparison into words any better than you did. I absolutely agree with your assessment of the two. However, my main question is whether to run 305s all around or 305/325, given the initial reports of the non-R cars having a bit of understeer. In speaking to Paul at N4S, he is confident a 325 will fit the rear, but I wonder if that will exacerbate the bit of understeer already there? I'm not a fan of understeer. With the 305 in the rear on an 11.5 wheel, my contact patch in the rear should be a bit more than the front on 11s. Does anyone think going this route will make the car a bit more neutral vs. the mindset of throwing as much rubber at it that you can?

FWIW, I am planning to run 305 square bcos I like running a shorter tire and with this setup car should be pretty neutral. But Im only running DOT tires in HPDE, so no where near maxing out with tires you've mentioned.

CSL said:
Thanks for the reply. I have experience running both tires and could not have put a comparison into words any better than you did. I absolutely agree with your assessment of the two. However, my main question is whether to run 305s all around or 305/325, given the initial reports of the non-R cars having a bit of understeer. In speaking to Paul at N4S, he is confident a 325 will fit the rear, but I wonder if that will exacerbate the bit of understeer already there? I'm not a fan of understeer. With the 305 in the rear on an 11.5 wheel, my contact patch in the rear should be a bit more than the front on 11s. Does anyone think going this route will make the car a bit more neutral vs. the mindset of throwing as much rubber at it that you can?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel