The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Kind of curious why so many are going with such small sizes? Squared up guys are going with 295s with no sweat, and alot of us are using the Continental Slicks ( used ) in 285 fronts and 305 rears on 18s. The Nittos are a decent tire, but they will not stay up with a set of Hoosiers, though will admit they will last longer. Not being critical, just wondering why so many appear to be getting smaller sizes when this is the main issue to many of why the Boss was a bit behind in some tests against the Camaro 1LE.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the guys running 275s are trying to square up the tires on a set of the stock 19" staggered rims. I guess you can stretch them onto the rears and just barely squeeze them onto the fronts?

-Nick

Sent from the tiny computer in my pocket.

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
Bill Pemberton said:
Kind of curious why so many are going with such small sizes? Squared up guys are going with 295s with no sweat, and alot of us are using the Continental Slicks ( used ) in 285 fronts and 305 rears on 18s. The Nittos are a decent tire, but they will not stay up with a set of Hoosiers, though will admit they will last longer. Not being critical, just wondering why so many appear to be getting smaller sizes when this is the main issue to many of why the Boss was a bit behind in some tests against the Camaro 1LE.

I agree, more is better to a point, like everything in life . Lets face it, the Boss is not a 50/50 weight distribution car or even close. This is why a staggered set up works well for the Boss or just big all the way around. The car will still be fast and fun with 275s at four corners. But as we move up the food chain we need more rubber on the road not the same or less. I will be running this 2014 season 275 /18 up front with 305/18 out back , Nitto NTO1s. With that said nothing compares to Hoosiers, I have run them in the past on different cars, oh my God, but they wear out quick. The Nittos like the Toyo RA1s just last a long time. For me that matters as I do not have unlimited funds for this compulsion called motorsports.

TMO Supporting Vendors