The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track video microphone type and placement?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've been watching GT350 videos and noticed the sound is awesome in several (voodooboss, black boss, Russ and adam's garage, plus some others). I gather that you are using some type of remote microphone probably down by the exhaust somewhere. Please tell me what kind of microphone you use (and where you purchased it), and where did you place it.
Thanks
Jim

I have an Olympus mic I purchased on Amazon with a GoPro adaptor and a 15' cable. I taped it to my rear bumper. I was looking for a permanent mount location but I'm going to stick to using tape. It held fine at 130+ mph.

I played with the GoPro external mic and extension cable, but mounted inside the trunk. You can easily get the cable between the rear seat cushions (there is a small seam). I get the same good exhaust note, but there is no wind to contend with. Worked great IMHO. Only minor mistake I made was letting the mic dangle from the trunk, so it would hit the top or side when I was in a tight turn (slight pop sound). Some painters tape would have fixed that.

Here's my street 'test run'.
My track run has music overdubbed (cant find the raw footage right now), so I thought the 'test run' allows you to get a better idea of what it sounds like.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel