The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Weekend at Brainerd International Raceway - We're outnumbered

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looks like we'll have a big crowd at BIR this weekend. There are 82 cars registered so far and only four domestics, all Mustangs, 3 of them in my run group. There are two Boss 302s and two heavily modified 2011 GTs. There are 23 cars in our Experienced run group including a GT3RS and an R8 :eek: There are a couple 997 GT3s, a really fast 996 GT3, several 911s, a 987S, 951S and Cayman Ss, a 335i and some older 944 turbos. The front straightaway could be interesting. It's a mile long and could look like an autocross course since passing is allowed on either side. Should be fun with that many cars on track at the same time. I really wish I had my new suspension :-\

Looks like a fun weekend. Is the R8 a V10? If it's the V8 it will be another rolling chicane for you. If it's the V10 it will be some compitition. Have fun!

5 DOT 0 said:
Looks like a fun weekend. Is the R8 a V10? If it's the V8 it will be another rolling chicane for you. If it's the V10 it will be some compitition. Have fun!
I'm not sure. It's listed as a 2008. Looks like they didn't introduce the V10 until December 2008 so probably a 2009+ MY? Wouldn't the V8 still be extremely formidable for a $40k Mustang? ???

cloud9 said:
5 DOT 0 said:
I'm not sure. It's listed as a 2008. Looks like they didn't introduce the V10 until December 2008 so probably a 2009+ MY? Wouldn't the V8 still be extremely formidable for a $40k Mustang? ???
In a word...no. ;D Check the lap times for Laguna Seca. If this link doesn't work google "fastest laps laguna seca" and it should be the first hit.

http://www.fastestlaps.com/tracks/laguna_seca.html

5 DOT 0 said:
cloud9 said:
5 DOT 0 said:
In a word...no. ;D Check the lap times for Laguna Seca. If this link doesn't work google "fastest laps laguna seca" and it should be the first hit.

http://www.fastestlaps.com/tracks/laguna_seca.html
But it looks menacing :eek:

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
cloud9 said:
5 DOT 0 said:

It's a V8. You will take it unless the guy is Mario Andretti (I'm assuming you are ;D) or he is not stock. The V8 can be faster than the V10 in a high-turn course, the V10 is a little bulky but damn quick on the straights. I know my Audi's ;D

PeteInCT said:
cloud9 said:
5 DOT 0 said:

It's a V8. You will take it unless the guy is Mario Andretti (I'm assuming you are ;D) or he is not stock. The V8 can be faster than the V10 in a high-turn course, the V10 is a little bulky but damn quick on the straights. I know my Audi's ;D
Interesting that you say that. If it's the same guy that was there last year, he was tough on the 2.5 mile short course but no match on the big course. I was surprised I was separating from him through Turns 1 and 2. Of course, entering Turn 1 at a buck fifty you have to be somewhat willing to ball up your ride to go flat out, and at well over six figures one could see some hesitation in doing that in an R8 :eek: Turn 2 is probably worse, but I would think better for the R8 being all wheel drive. It's an 80 degree right hander with no banking and it's a little rough. Enter at 140, brake to 110, floor it just before the apex and if you carry it all the way to the exit curbing without sliding off you're doing over 130 again. The track is pretty bumpy going through there so you're never quite sure it's going to stick. Never mind looking at the chain link fence or the trees either since you'll go where your eyes go ;D

5 DOT 0 said:
cloud9 said:
But it looks menacing :eek:
Look for the light and do not be afraid. The light being the R8's tail lights as you get ready to pass. I haven't heard a V8 but the V10 is a sweet sounding motor especially as you shift at 8,500 RPM's. 8)
Hahaha I'll just try to keep it on the track. It's a high speed rough track and really rough if you go four wheeling. No smooth alfalfa pastures to mow there.

Audi claims the new TTRS is faster around most tracks than the V10. My bro is thinking about getting one if they bring it here, so I was reading some articles on it.

According to the link, the Boss should be almost 8 seconds faster than my old car. It certainly feels like it, even not pushing it as hard.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
CaliMR said:
Audi claims the new TTRS is faster around most tracks than the V10. My bro is thinking about getting one if they bring it here, so I was reading some articles on it.

According to the link, the Boss should be almost 8 seconds faster than my old car. It certainly feels like it, even not pushing it as hard.

NFW - And you know what that means. I'd like to see where Audi says that - they would be shooting themselves in the foot big time. I owned a TTS that was modded to the hilt and equaled or bettered a TTRS in 0-60 and 60-0 times. Slightly less HP but more torque and a paddle shifting DSG tranny. Huge Stop-Techs up front and a slammed suspension. That platform understeers terribly, it's basically a front heavy FWD car (which the R8 is not on both accords). It takes MONUMENTAL effort to rotate that platform, they constantly want to go straight. My car was quick and it used to give M1's, Cayman's and Cayman S's fits - but that's as far as it goes. Even if you ignore the engine differences, the balance alone of the Boss's platform puts it's handling light years ahead of a TTRS on a road coarse.

Here it is on it's last run before it was sold. You'll see me passing a Cayman S and and M1:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETRFWtRORhI[/youtube]

Might not get to play with the Audi. There are 26 cars in group 3 now so they asked me to move up to the racer's group 4. Great now it's going to be a bunch of gutted Cup cars and I'll probably be crying for mommy ;D. Maybe the R8 will get moved too.

drano38

Wayne
cloud9 said:
Hahaha I'll just try to keep it on the track. It's a high speed rough track and really rough if you go four wheeling. No smooth alfalfa pastures to mow there.

Glad I got insurance for this event . . .
Just in case I trade paint with a fence, car, etc.

drano38 said:
cloud9 said:

Glad I got insurance for this event . . .
Just in case I trade paint with a fence, car, etc.
Just stay off the VHT on the drag strip if it rains! ;D

drano38

Wayne
Pickup loaded (wow, a Dakota Quad cab fills up fast!), trailer hitched up.
Break away from work at 11:00 on Friday, load up the Boss, and push for BIR.
Looks like we'll need rain gear Sunday. :mad:
Once again, glad I got insurance for this event.
As Gary said -- Don't look at the trees, don't look at the fence. Look at the track.

Survived session 1 on a cool track. Started in the back and passed about half the field but let the GT3RSs start ahead of me. Ran 2 1:55.01s in 48the degree temps. For comparison the fastest I ran in the GT500 was 1:55.10. A friend of mine who placed 7th at the roundup ran 2:06. My other buddy in the modded GT ran about 1:56 in my group so we are at least not getti. embarrassed :D It's Four Mustangs and 90 Porsches.

TMO Supporting Vendors