The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Wheels Set Up

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have a GT350. I do a few HPDEs per year. I want to get a set of dedicated track wheels.
I don’t want to break the bank. I have adjustable front camber plates and stock suspension. Which is better handling on a race track for our cars.
Looking at maybe Apex wheels or others.
Square set up with 19x11” with 305/30/19 Nito NT01 on all fours.
Or
Front 19x11” with 305/30/19 NT01
Rear 19x11.5” with 325/30/19 NT01

What’s you experiences?

Also for those that purchased Apex wheels on their last group buy. How much did you save? They’re offering 20% now but i think they always offer that year round. Looking for good deals.
Thanks

Apex Wheels

Race Proven, Street Approved
Supporting Vendor
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Bay Area, CA
Also for those that purchased Apex wheels on their last group buy. How much did you save? They’re offering 20% now but i think they always offer that year round. Looking for good deals.
Thanks

Hey Ronald, we usually do not have the SM-10 wheels discounted as they are a poopular seller year round. They are currently 20% through the end of this month however, which we are doing instead of a Group Buy this year. The 20% off saves about $400 off the set, which is the same as a max Group Buy discount would be, just without the waiting period.

As for square vs staggered, it really comes down to whether you want to rotate or not. Some people prefer to, some people don't. Being able to rotate will provide better tire wear and generally makes the car more balanced as well. 19x11" ET52 square with 305/30-19 NT01s all around is a really good track day setup. It will require 25mm spacers and extended wheel studs up front.

Cory

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
The Nitto NT-01 isn't the fastest tire when compared to its non-slick peers. That said, it is perhaps the most consistent, and longest lasting of them, where it's not uncommon to see 20+ heat cycles, compared to others that become a literal hot-mess anywhere past 10. If you're doing HPDE for fun and trying to keep the cost of consumables down, it's hard to beat the bang/buck as they're really not terribly expensive either.

The Nitto NT-01 isn't the fastest tire when compared to its non-slick peers. That said, it is perhaps the most consistent, and longest lasting of them, where it's not uncommon to see 20+ heat cycles, compared to others that become a literal hot-mess anywhere past 10. If you're doing HPDE for fun and trying to keep the cost of consumables down, it's hard to beat the bang/buck as they're really not terribly expensive either.
Hi Patrick have you tried Hankook R-S4 ? How do they compare to NT01 or others similar?
I am the one that sold you your APR wing this weekend.

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Hi Patrick have you tried Hankook R-S4 ? How do they compare to NT01 or others similar?
I am the one that sold you your APR wing this weekend.
I have not, I was playing with Michelin Sport Cup 2's ("180" TW) and Nankang AR-1 (100TW). Your desire for 325 out rear starts to really thin out the usual trackday herd as the Bridgestone RE-71R and BF Goodyear Rival S 1.5 both go no wider than 305/30/19 and are rather popular with the auto-x crowd and rather fast.

Pleasure chatting with you, and thanks for spoiling my build thread update for today.

I have not, I was playing with Michelin Sport Cup 2's ("180" TW) and Nankang AR-1 (100TW). Your desire for 325 out rear starts to really thin out the usual trackday herd as the Bridgestone RE-71R and BF Goodyear Rival S 1.5 both go no wider than 305/30/19 and are rather popular with the auto-x crowd and rather fast.

Pleasure chatting with you, and thanks for spoiling my build thread update for today.

How has your experience with the AR-1 been?

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
How has your experience with the AR-1 been?
Loved them, shame that in 20's they only go 285 wide. Recommended to run them at a much lower pressure (29) but liked how they got to temp and grip very quickly. From that, I'd wonder if they're then better targeted to a Auto-X/Time Trials driver with RE-71r/RivalS in mind. These have got lots of great press with the smaller BRZ/Miata folks, beat out the usual Maxxis and Toyos faves. Being that they are "100" TW (I'd guess more like 40/80) they don't last all that long on our heavier cars, lasting me 4 full track days, although, one of those sessions was a 1 hour enduro at Willow which alone might have been equivalent of a 5th track day. Hope this helps.

edit - SUNOVA -- According to Phil's, they now go 305/30/20 , as if they read my e-mails begging them so, as I went 285/305 staggered, and at $360/tire compared to a PSC2, I'd take one of these.
edit2 - oh wow, and they've got 315/30/18. I will definitely be doing a set of these after I kill the NT-01's and thoroughly check my house for spy mics.

Last edited:
I have a GT350. I do a few HPDEs per year. I want to get a set of dedicated track wheels.
I don’t want to break the bank. I have adjustable front camber plates and stock suspension. Which is better handling on a race track for our cars.
Looking at maybe Apex wheels or others.
Square set up with 19x11” with 305/30/19 Nito NT01 on all fours.
Or
Front 19x11” with 305/30/19 NT01
Rear 19x11.5” with 325/30/19 NT01

What’s you experiences?

Thanks

my street rims are klassen 19x11 305/30/19 and 19x11/5 325/30/19 BECAUSE i bought apex’s19s11 square so i could rotate them. Plus 305s are much more abundant than 325’s. Everytime i look325’s are back ordered or 315’s

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel