The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track wheels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am having a blast in this thing. Took the Boss with me to Miller then over the hill to Laguna Seca. Car was incredible and I know I might be an old guy but it keeps me young and the cork screw at Laguna is awesome. . Had a roll bar (don't plan on using it) and harnesses put in to keep my a** in the seat. As this time I don't plan any under hood or suspension mods but want to replace the wheels with something black and lightweight. I want to use the stock tires (on the track) because it handles so good. I'd like some recommendations on lightweight 19" wheels.

Many people who track the car go with 18" wheels over 19" because the wheels and tires are lighter and less expensive. You have to be careful to get the proper offset and that the wheels clear the Brembo brakes. Many wheels do not clear.

There are BBS/Boss 302s forged wheels 18x9.5 for $6-700 and there are Vorschlag and Forgestar F14 18x10 wheels for $310-340 each. All three are relatively light.

Light 19" wheels that clear the brakes and have the correct offset are tougher to find.

drano38

Wayne
Agree, if you want dedicated track wheels, go 18".
I've got Enkei 18x9.5 on all 4 corners. replace one our both sway bars to a Stano bar, and you're set.
If you want to stay staggered, Enkei 18x10.5 (don't remember offset) works well.
The stock tires are ok, not great. I've got Nitto NT-05, and they are way better than stock. Other good 18"choices also.

Edit: 18x10.5 38mm offset for the rears.
Fronts 18x9.5 (or all 4 for square setup) are either 45 or 35 mm offset (black in 35mm only, and moves tire away from strut a bit).

I have been looking at some track wheels also, I know a lot of people are running the PFO1's and a few other options. But, I was wonder if anyone was using or could give me any feedback, good or bad on the Steeda Pentar (Black) wheels 18x9.5 or the Ford Svt 2010 GT500 wheels that are also, 18x9.5 not for sure about the weight of the wheels. Any info would be appreciated.. Thanks.

I run the Steeda Pentar black wheels with street tires for street use. I originally bought them for 06 Steeda Mustang for track use. The look great on the LS and really like them but they are street wheels and not light weight. I don't remember the weight but Steeda shows it on the web site. They look and work good and I just might get another set for track use instead of the stock wheels. I would just have to buy new track tires.

drano38

Wayne
The Enkei are light. So less unsprung mass for track use, which is good (in theory anyway).
Since I use stock wheels for street, and change to track, and bring spare Enkei to track, I'm throwing around wheels quite often. Since I'm not Superman, I like that the Enkei wheels are about 1/2 the stocker weight. Several times in and out of the pickup bed for the spare set made them worth it for that only, even if I don't really get any better track performance.
D-Force and others that are light are great track options also.
If you want 2 sets, its best to buy 2 track sets that are the same. But the checkbook may balk at that.

I went with SVT Drift 18x10 wheels from Late Model Restoration. Think I paid $149 a piece for them. They weigh 24lbs so they aren't as light as other options but you can't beat the price. I've done a couple of events with them and happy so far.

frosty said:
I went with SVT Drift 18x10 wheels from Late Model Restoration. Think I paid $149 a piece for them. They weigh 24lbs so they aren't as light as other options but you can't beat the price. I've done a couple of events with them and happy so far.

hey frosty,

do you have any pictures by any chance?
i like how the 19"s look, would like to see the 18"s as well.

I'm so jealous! I love Miller Motor sports park! Not say I don't love Laguna Seca!
For 19" track wheels I use Forgeline.18LBS EACH and strong.They are a true forged monoblock wheel.Used on many race teams for those exact reasons.
Not cheap ,but worth it! If you think their price is high,you should see their standards!

drano38 said:
I've got Enkei 18x9.5 on all 4 corners. replace one our both sway bars to a Stano bar, and you're set.
Which Enkei exactly do you use front and rear? Do you have any pics of them available? I am also looking for some track day wheels.

Many of us have Enkei PF01's in either 18x9.5 square or 18x9.5 and 18x10.5 staggered.

Sesshomurai

Since you said you want to use the stock tires ill recommend 19" wheels. Look at the ford racing 302s wheels. 19x9, 19x10. Also RTR 19x9.5.

roketman said:
I'm so jealous! I love Miller Motor sports park! Not say I don't love Laguna Seca!
For 19" track wheels I use Forgeline.18LBS EACH and strong.They are a true forged monoblock wheel.Used on many race teams for those exact reasons.
Not cheap ,but worth it! If you think their price is high,you should see their standards!

And now I have roketmans forgelines. I have yet to run them, still learning on the stock setup but they are light!

drano38

Wayne
Orange said:
drano38 said:
Which Enkei exactly do you use front and rear? Do you have any pics of them available? I am also looking for some track day wheels.

Enkei 18x9.5. Black set is +35mm offset. Silver set is +45mm offset.
Either offset works fine with my Nitto NT-05 tires in 275/40 or 285/35.
At first, they were only available 45mm offset and silver, and I bought that set used. Later, they started making 35mm offset in black. If you're buying new, get black.
Here's where I got my black set: http://www.oakos.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=355&Product_Code=ENK-460-895-6535BK&Category_Code
Here's a pic of the black set.
20120726105609922.jpg

Here's silver, with a Boss with black Enkei's in the background
20120406153005.jpg

Could anyone explain to me why in the Ford Racing description for their BBS 18" wheels, it says "For Track Use Only", or "not for street use"? Why wouldn't a top notch racing wheel be good for street use?

Fixy said:
Could anyone explain to me why in the Ford Racing description for their BBS 18" wheels, it says "For Track Use Only", or "not for street use"? Why wouldn't a top notch racing wheel be good for street use?
Maybe they haven't been DOT certified since they were manufactured for Ford's race cars. I wouldn't let that stop you though. FYI TracKey also says for track use only right on your dash and that hasn't stopped me. ;D

BTW welcome to BMO. Nice collection of cars you have there. You should start a separate thread and post photos of your cars.

Sesshomurai

Fixy said:

One guess might be: Streets can be dangerous places for wheels: pot holes, curbs, snow/ice. speedbumps, etc...these wheels are extra light and maybe not designed to endure hard bumps and holes as well as heavier, harder material wheels.

TMO Supporting Vendors