TrackEVsOnline

Discussion in 'Track EVs Online' started by VoodooBoss, Nov 29, 2018.

1. byronj

byronj TMO Addict

Im just going to put this here.

https://www.zeromotorcycles.com

The only reason(s) I don't have one. When I first saw them in 07 or 08 at Laguna Seca when Moto GOP came back they had no data on the battery lifecycle or a cost for replacement. Another issues was being street legal. Now the times have changed (charged) and it's been worked out but the price point hasn't worked out for me. I did a calculation and good old fossil fuel still wins but Im in the market for a wheelie machine.

2. Bouncing Soul

Bouncing Soul TMO Intermediate

I’m surprised nobody has gotten the EV MX bike figured out. To me it’s one of the most obvious applications.

We had a Gen 1 Leaf living in the SF Bay back when getting one was a big hassle. Loved it. Wife found a 220v outlet at work; had the EVSE modified for L2 charging and made a swappable pigtail to match the oddball plug she found. Haven’t bought another EV due to living in a rental and not having good access to power for now, but it’s the perfect city commuter.

VoodooBoss likes this.
  3. TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS TMO Addict

Not to be out done by other states when it comes to Taxes. The state of Illinois has proposed a $1000.00 annual registration fee for all EV's. The concept is that Motor Fuel taxes only apply to fossil fuel powered vehicles. As such, Illinois cannot collect usage taxes on EV's Because of this a "Special Class" tax will be created. Not in tax code yet, stand by.

Bill Pemberton likes this.
  4. Bill Pemberton

Bill Pemberton TMO Addict

Sounds shockingly fair and equitable!

5. TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS TMO Addict

That was the surprising part.

6. VoodooBoss

VoodooBoss Rick Moderator

What I envision is that, at least here in CA, we move to an annual mileage reporting and verification. That seems to be the most equitable thing to do. I don't mind the free ride we're getting with our Tesla at the moment but we know it won't last forever.

7. TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS TMO Addict

I don’t disagree. Will the politicians agree? If I live and am taxed in state A while working and driving in state B. How does State B get their share of tax money to maintain the roads I actually drive on? The answer, more taxes. Uggg

8. Bill Pemberton

Update from the 2019 Solo Nationals which finished this Friday in Lincoln ,Nebraska. In the B Street Class the new National Champion is Dave Marcus , who beat out Mark Daddio ( many time National Champion in various classes ) in his Tesla 3. Mark would have had the win but his best run on Thursday included a cone penalty so when the dust settled the Tesla took a 7/10ths of a second penalty against Daddio's GT 350. Mark and I chatted and the car was completely stock except for running BFG Rivals , squared. The BFGs seem to be the ticket on alot of the bigger cars and Daddio was hauling the mail. Ironic the Tesla won over our beloved GT350, and a faster raw time does not win the crown, but interesting to see how well the Tesla can handle , though a Road course event is much tougher due to heat generation and the distance per charge.

Interesting note for all here, I felt , and the GT 350s were strong in this Class, with Mustangs dominating the upper trophy spots over Camaros.

9. VoodooBoss

VoodooBoss Rick Moderator

Glad to see Mustangs taking it to the Camaro's!

Regarding the Model 3 they have been doing very well in AX and TT events. They still can't handle more than one full 20 minute session on track before the battery pulls power. Super Chargers will be needed at tracks before they can reach their potential on road courses for HPDE.

An interesting note that leads to their good handling characteristics is on the Model S over 50% of the weight of the car is below the centerline of the wheels. I'm not sure on the Model 3 but I suspect it's the same. They don't have a lot of body roll and do have a bit of the Kart feel due to the weight being so low.

Bill Pemberton likes this.
  10. Bill Pemberton

The two ( Tesla 3s ) that ran in F Street ran quite strong, and compared to the machines in that Class the body roll was not much more than many others. The cool part was watching the back end drift out on some tight sweepers. Easy to see the Tesla would not keep up with the GT 350 on a road course, but on a tight Autocross , the instant torque is impressive.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    VoodooBoss likes this.