The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

TrackEVsOnline

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bay Area
Im just going to put this here.

https://www.zeromotorcycles.com

The only reason(s) I don't have one. When I first saw them in 07 or 08 at Laguna Seca when Moto GOP came back they had no data on the battery lifecycle or a cost for replacement. Another issues was being street legal. Now the times have changed (charged) and it's been worked out but the price point hasn't worked out for me. I did a calculation and good old fossil fuel still wins but Im in the market for a wheelie machine.

I’m surprised nobody has gotten the EV MX bike figured out. To me it’s one of the most obvious applications.

We had a Gen 1 Leaf living in the SF Bay back when getting one was a big hassle. Loved it. Wife found a 220v outlet at work; had the EVSE modified for L2 charging and made a swappable pigtail to match the oddball plug she found. Haven’t bought another EV due to living in a rental and not having good access to power for now, but it’s the perfect city commuter.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Not to be out done by other states when it comes to Taxes. The state of Illinois has proposed a $1000.00 annual registration fee for all EV's. The concept is that Motor Fuel taxes only apply to fossil fuel powered vehicles. As such, Illinois cannot collect usage taxes on EV's Because of this a "Special Class" tax will be created. Not in tax code yet, stand by.

What I envision is that, at least here in CA, we move to an annual mileage reporting and verification. That seems to be the most equitable thing to do. I don't mind the free ride we're getting with our Tesla at the moment but we know it won't last forever.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I don’t disagree. Will the politicians agree? If I live and am taxed in state A while working and driving in state B. How does State B get their share of tax money to maintain the roads I actually drive on? The answer, more taxes. Uggg

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Update from the 2019 Solo Nationals which finished this Friday in Lincoln ,Nebraska. In the B Street Class the new National Champion is Dave Marcus , who beat out Mark Daddio ( many time National Champion in various classes ) in his Tesla 3. Mark would have had the win but his best run on Thursday included a cone penalty so when the dust settled the Tesla took a 7/10ths of a second penalty against Daddio's GT 350. Mark and I chatted and the car was completely stock except for running BFG Rivals , squared. The BFGs seem to be the ticket on alot of the bigger cars and Daddio was hauling the mail. Ironic the Tesla won over our beloved GT350, and a faster raw time does not win the crown, but interesting to see how well the Tesla can handle , though a Road course event is much tougher due to heat generation and the distance per charge.

Interesting note for all here, I felt , and the GT 350s were strong in this Class, with Mustangs dominating the upper trophy spots over Camaros.

Glad to see Mustangs taking it to the Camaro's!

Regarding the Model 3 they have been doing very well in AX and TT events. They still can't handle more than one full 20 minute session on track before the battery pulls power. Super Chargers will be needed at tracks before they can reach their potential on road courses for HPDE.

An interesting note that leads to their good handling characteristics is on the Model S over 50% of the weight of the car is below the centerline of the wheels. I'm not sure on the Model 3 but I suspect it's the same. They don't have a lot of body roll and do have a bit of the Kart feel due to the weight being so low.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
The two ( Tesla 3s ) that ran in F Street ran quite strong, and compared to the machines in that Class the body roll was not much more than many others. The cool part was watching the back end drift out on some tight sweepers. Easy to see the Tesla would not keep up with the GT 350 on a road course, but on a tight Autocross , the instant torque is impressive.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Will be interesting to see how soon SCCA gets a pure EV Class? My son and I ran A Street Prepared at the Midwest Divisional this month and though Ryan ( my son ) won in his EVO 9 , it was shocking watching the Tesla 3 (. with Performance mods ) come out of the corners and go down the straights -- insane. There will be at least 4 drivers running EV in ASP at the Nationals this year , so it should be interesting, but in the future with the constant changes and no way to really police computer updates a Class or two or three will be in the near future for the shockingly fast battery beasts!

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Will be interesting to see how soon SCCA gets a pure EV Class? My son and I ran A Street Prepared at the Midwest Divisional this month and though Ryan ( my son ) won in his EVO 9 , it was shocking watching the Tesla 3 (. with Performance mods ) come out of the corners and go down the straights -- insane. There will be at least 4 drivers running EV in ASP at the Nationals this year , so it should be interesting, but in the future with the constant changes and no way to really police computer updates a Class or two or three will be in the near future for the shockingly fast battery beasts!
That is going to be interesting how they class them in autocross. I've been saying that drag racing will be where EVs shine, but autocross makes a lot of sense too. I'm planning on launching a dedicated site for EV track cars this year. Makes sense to give those people a good resource and community to use, as this site isn't really the best place for it.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Currently they are running in Super Street , B Street and A Street Prepared , but more classes will need to come ( and I might even be missing some at present for the slower EVs ). The differences in Autocross to Road Racing ( more point and squirt ) , mean the EVs currently are insane with their rapid power engagement. The disadvantage , at present, is they do not tend to have the superior handling ( suspension set ups ) of conventional machines. Rumor is that 2022 will see the cars going to more specific classes , likely EV based , but the challenge is there are not that many actually running the roads/streets of America at the present time.

Regarding Bill’s comment on body roll: probably in late 2015 a Tesla service center opened close to me so I stopped by for a test drive in a Model S. They had a chassis with the battery pack sitting on the showroom floor so you could see the layout. I was told over 50% of the 4,000+ pound weight of the car is below the centerline of the wheels. I was impressed with the handling during my test drive and it was hard to believe how little body roll there was for such a large and heavy car.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
No argument on the low center of gravity, but the weight is part of the issue , transitioning quickly in an autocross is it's minor weakness ---minor is noted as they will likely win Classes again at this year's Nationals. The instant power and insane 0-60 times is hard to overcome with many cars.

Went to Holley's High Voltage EV fest at Sonoma a couple weekends ago and it was a fun time. Here in the Bay Area the market for EV's is strong and it was fitting to hold this type of event here.

There were a lot of Tesla's, a few Rivians and a TON of custom builds. Pretty fun stuff.

Saw this cool S197.1 there.

IMG_2418.jpg
IMG_2419.jpg

Recap

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Went to Holley's High Voltage EV fest at Sonoma a couple weekends ago and it was a fun time. Here in the Bay Area the market for EV's is strong and it was fitting to hold this type of event here.

There were a lot of Tesla's, a few Rivians and a TON of custom builds. Pretty fun stuff.

Saw this cool S197.1 there.

View attachment 78124
View attachment 78125

Recap
Damn, I was at the last one, didn't make it to this one. Could have met up with you. It was fun chatting with Lawson at AEM when I was there to get his perspective on how these EV swaps might play out in the market.

Damn, I was at the last one, didn't make it to this one. Could have met up with you. It was fun chatting with Lawson at AEM when I was there to get his perspective on how these EV swaps might play out in the market.
Hey Chris, I'll hit you up the next time I go to an event. Everything seems to be very last minute these days.

I spoke with the AEM guys in the booth there and I know the guy that did their drift presentation. Pretty cool stuff.
I really like how the aftermarket is supporting these cool projects.

-T

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Hey Chris, I'll hit you up the next time I go to an event. Everything seems to be very last minute these days.

I spoke with the AEM guys in the booth there and I know the guy that did their drift presentation. Pretty cool stuff.
I really like how the aftermarket is supporting these cool projects.

-T
Definitely hit me up. I've been swamped with an intense in-laws quarters build lately but that is finally wrapping up, so I should hopefully have more free time.

It's always fun chatting with passionate car guys, whether it's internal combustion or EV related stuff :)

TMO Supporting Vendors