The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Trackey Discontinued

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have heard numerous positive statements about the AED "Tune" over the past couple of years on this forum. Can someone enlighten me as what exactly the advantages are? And what parameters are being tuned/ modified? Obviously this will vary greatly depending on vehicle mods. IMO, driving any car at track events is quite different from tuning achieved through dyno pulls. I am sincerely asking here, not trying to start a forum battle with anyone. Thanks for any input. Everyone have a great 4th... USA!!! 8)

576 said:
I have heard numerous positive statements about the AED "Tune" over the past couple of years on this forum. Can someone enlighten me as what exactly the advantages are? And what parameters are being tuned/ modified? Obviously this will vary greatly depending on vehicle mods. IMO, driving any car at track events is quite different from tuning achieved through dyno pulls. I am sincerely asking here, not trying to start a forum battle with anyone. Thanks for any input. Everyone have a great 4th... USA!!! 8)
My friend Paul with the white Boss added Kooks LT headers, Airaid CAI and 84.5mm TB and wrapped it with an AED tune. I've driven it and it runs great and is really smooth. He's had it on track and his car is mostly track driven. @Shaun@AED has a well deserved reputation for tuning the coyote. His dyno chart is posted in the thread below. Please use the thread below for further AED discussion.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=10920.msg157039#msg157039

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss
576 said:

I had Shaun, Main Tuner at AED, Tune my Boss with a remote tune. I have a base tune, a road race tune and have the base tune for a conversion to E 85. Shaun can give you most all the added features of Track Key.....except the lean portions of the tune. The Ford Racing Track Key Tune has areas of lean tuning. I still have the Track Key stored on my SCT tuner.....but will tell you.....I will never use it again. Shaun has tuned my Boss remotely, to perfection on my fuel and environmental conditions. He can also include ghost cam tuning for those who desire a Lopey Idle...........which I never could understand since this is a modern 4 cam high tech motor. I do not have that tuning from AED and I'm very happy. Not that single dyno numbers matter......with the CF AirAid intake, FRRP TB, O/R X pipe and FRRP 47lb injectors.....we achieved 425 rwhip and 400 ft/lbs of torque. The dyno owner said stock Boss's had between 380-390 rwhp. He had never seen a Boss break 400 rwhp with simple bolt ons.......So huge Kudos to Shaun!!

If I was worried about getting a Track Key tune at this point........I'd recommend contacting Shaun at AED and not look back at Ford Racing.

Wayne

I just did a chat session with a guy named Mike at Ford Performance. I asked him what happens if you already have TracKey activated, but you lose your key. He said the dealer could "marry" a new key to the TracKey tune, so no worries. You only have an issue if you don't already have the TracKey flash.

I guess you might also have an issue if your ECU went bad.

As an IT guy it's really sad they can't manage to get their new system to load the trackey software. A company as big as Ford should not have a problem like this.

I don't think it is a case of Ford not being able to work a patch out to make TrackKey work with the new diagnostic package, it's a case of Ford (not Ford Performance) not wanting or willing to put any recourses into making it happen. It was inevitable that this would only be available for a few years. I'm not tying to be a jerk, but for those that purchased a boss new or used, I'm surprised to see complaints about it being canceled. The car has been out for a few years and for anyone that was willing to pony up (pun intended) and had any interest at all in getting track key, they would have done it.

I'm sure a lot of the complainers that are coming out of the woodwork never would have purchased the calibration any way.

Guys, I'm just happy the car ever came into existence. This car was created and approved during one of the worst downturns in automotive history. It was a combination of insane dedication of a few Ford insiders that spent many hours making the business case (to be honest, the percentage of Boss to all other mustangs made per year was so low, I'm still not sure how this was accomplished given the economic climate at the time of approval) and utilizing all recourses to minimize compromising of the finished product.

As a mater of fact, because of the downturn in automotive sales at the time, it was a service providers willingness to perform the CNC procedure of the Boss heads at a super low cost just to keep from laying off staff and shuttering their plant that made it possible. It was that close to not happening. The track key itself was made possible by a couple of guys that utilized the MyKey/Security pathway and not re-invent the wheel to get it into production. Let's not forget how hard it was to get TrackKey CARB approved. They did it.

TrackKey was/is a true calibration that was a full and comprehensive approach to giving the customer a durable performance enhancement that does not sacrifice durability. No "tuner" can even come close in this regard. Yes, there are "tuners" that can point to a dyno chart and show high horsepower improvements but none can ever really prove reliability. This was a huge driver having TrackKey installed in my Boss as soon as I could.

I can fully understand how some Boss owners are disappointed but no one got "screwed" here. You should all know that the Ford Performace team tried their best to keep TrackKey available, but they lost.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Agree. If a toy is available for 4 years and you missed it...Are you being screwed?? Nope. Lets face it, TK is a toy.

Ford appears to have moved on with their computer architecture. Ancient in the IT world starts where...3-5 years?? XP is much older than that. Where would the return in investment be in Ford engineering TK compatibility into their new systems?

It appears ford will continue to service this product. We will have to send the module to Ford and wait for a return shipment....oh well. I have waited a week for brake pads and two for rotors. This too shall pass.

Dollar for Dollar the Boss was one hell of a great buy!! Glad I bought mine and have zero plans to ever sell. Wife and daughter are worrying they will need to find a cemetery plot for me and the Boss. Not likely. Cars like the Boss are meant to be driven. Cant drive it after I am gone. Someone else can. Don't tell my daughter. She loves the car and will likely have a part in caring for me later on. No need to influence here one way or the other. LOL ::)

Grant 302 said:
Well, nobody is ''screwed" just yet. Just wait until the first person needs to have their TracKey-flashed ECU serviced. I guess we'll see.

There is contingency for this: the ECU would need to be sent out which would add down time, but you will be taken care of. I have a cover over my OBD port that indicates "Do not Flash" to help insure that the dealer is talking with me before any updates are performed......

I do agree that the boss owners need to be careful in this regard. Don't ever assume the person working on the car is always fully aware of what re-flashing a bosses ECU may do....

BigTaco said:
There is contingency for this: the ECU would need to be sent out which would add down time, but you will be taken care of. I have a cover over my OBD port that indicates "Do not Flash" to help insure that the dealer is talking with me before any updates are performed......

I do agree that the boss owners need to be careful in this regard. Don't ever assume the person working on the car is always fully aware of what re-flashing a bosses ECU may do....

Smart. Hadn't thought of that.

TMO Supporting Vendors