The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

TracKey Has Arrived - Ford’s Email to All Ford and Lincoln Dealers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The email I posted is the same email Ford will be sending to all Ford and Lincoln Dealerships Monday morning.

This email does escalate some interesting questions about the warranty on our Boss.

Will this be available indefinitely? If someone decided to purchase after 5 years, for example? Kind of disappointing. I would be careful of relying on your own interpretation of warranty conditions, as I have personal experience with having to dig up my owners manual to prove that something was covered(Nissan), and still got attitude and argument. Better make sure is all I'm saying.

Yea I was going to get it, now I'm having second thoughts. I don't want to void my extended warranty. I'm going to wait and see what the Dyno shows first. Looks like I'll be tracking the M3 for a few more years.

I believe there is alot of confusion here if it does any type of warrantee voiding it has to say this product voids the existing warrantee I think everyone on here is wrong about this the warrantee should be only on the track key not the entire cars drive train this will be interesting to see the outcome of this so called warrantee change. And from what I remembered ford only gives 3 year 36 thousand mile warrantee to begin with.

Forgot to ask where the letter was recived from or was this made up not calling anyone a trouble maker but I really dout ford made this letter so soon being the wording is not even professional I dont believe this is a true letter from ford at all. Nov 2 will be the annoucement that is it so enjoy waiting a bit more.

Jeff Quinn said:
The way that I read it is, that there is a 3/36 warranty from Ford Racing when the CAUSE of failure is related to the Trackey program, and that problems not related to Trackey are covered by the original warranty.

Jeff Quinn

That's the way I read it too. The failure has to be caused by the TracKey in order to void the standard warranty. I really don't think this is a big concern.

I'd still like complete clarity on this and will try and call Ford next week.

The LW replaces the factory warranty on engine, suspension, and driveline. What dealer is going to say that accelerated wear or failure are unrelated to hard use? Have you seen the price of the crate motor? 10k plus change. Might wait a bit longer to see what the ZL1 offers.

BLAZN BOSS

Are you contemplating buying a chevrolet? Talk about wishing for trouble?..........

Just making the point that if the Nurbergring special has all the performance advertised and is backed by the full Chevrolet warranty, it might be worth a look.

Hmmm,

I think I will wait and see how much HP/TQ gains are to be had from the TrackKey before I invest my $300 plus labor. I really don't see it being worth it if there is not at least 25 HP or TQ gain to be had. I definitely don't want to pay $300 for just a cool sounding idle. I already have that in my other Mustang. Also if it shortens my warranty in any way, personally I am not touching it.

Dallas_Dude said:
Hmmm,

I think I will wait and see how much HP/TQ gains are to be had from the TrackKey before I invest my $300 plus labor. I really don't see it being worth it if there is not at least 25 HP or TQ gain to be had. I definitely don't want to pay $300 for just a cool sounding idle. I already have that in my other Mustang. Also if it shortens my warranty in any way, personally I am not touching it.
Ford has said all along there will be no gain in HP. It's supposed to raise the TQ in the lower rpm range, add launch control, lopey idle, more aggressive throttle, more aggressive engine braking, and hopefully get rid of the car throwing codes on a track. It should also lower gas mileage on the street and make it less smooth driving around town. The Boss I drove at Track Attack had TK installed and I can confirm most of what Ford is promising.

Whammer said:
Jeff Quinn said:
The way that I read it is, that there is a 3/36 warranty from Ford Racing when the CAUSE of failure is related to the Trackey program, and that problems not related to Trackey are covered by the original warranty.

Jeff Quinn

That's the way I read it too. The failure has to be caused by the TracKey in order to void the standard warranty. I really don't think this is a big concern.

The problem is that by installing TracKey it gives Ford an out. Lets say 4 years from now your trans craps out. What to keep Ford from saying that the increased engine braking of the aftermarket software caused the failure? There's a reason Ford didn't include the TracKey software with the car. They don't want to be financially responsible for any problems it causes.

Installing TracKey, in Fords eyes, is the same as installing any aftermarket tune. The only difference is that Ford Racing is covering anything that Ford claims broke because of the performance software for 3yr /36K miles. The fact that Ford Racing is not willing to offer the full 5yr / 60K powertrain warranty says to me, they expect Ford to be denying warranty repairs due to TracKey, and they don't want to be on the hook when things start wearing out.

Boss-man said:
The LW replaces the factory warranty on engine, suspension, and driveline. What dealer is going to say that accelerated wear or failure are unrelated to hard use? Have you seen the price of the crate motor? 10k plus change. Might wait a bit longer to see what the ZL1 offers.

Only in cases where TK is deemed to have been the cause of the failure- that's how I read it.
I really don't think this is going to be much of an issue.

If the terms on the letter are correct, I'll have my dealer order it a week from Monday, install it Tuesday, and weather permitting have it on a dyno by the end of the week.

jeepinocala said:
Forgot to ask where the letter was recived from or was this made up not calling anyone a trouble maker but I really dout ford made this letter so soon being the wording is not even professional I dont believe this is a true letter from ford at all. Nov 2 will be the annoucement that is it so enjoy waiting a bit more.

This is not a letter it is an email sent from Ford to all its Ford and Lincoln Dealers.

It was sent to me via a delership GM.

Boss-man said:

Let me save you some real crap in your life chevy of well just had a ss 6.2 I know the zl1 is different but look it up the internals for chevy are nothing like the Boss at all all of the chevy motors have crap for internals the whole reason why I got away from them for the Boss the Boss has all forged internals chevy does not keep adding power that chevy will fail If you dont know a whole lot about this read up on it the most value is straight from the factory the 302 Boss is built right and ready for whatever you decide not full of cast parts or powder metal rods or standard crank and bearings these are all just the beginnings of it do your homework cause youll be going down the road in your badass moded chevy and get spanked from a pretty plain Boss. I work with castings , forgings and alot of other metal products and will just say read about them you will be impressed of the Boss more than you think.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel