The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

TracKey Has Arrived - Ford’s Email to All Ford and Lincoln Dealers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Look at it this way regarding all this consternation over the TK warranty. The TK tune was developed by Ford with hundreds of hours of engineering. It will be very safe for your engine. It has most of the drivability removed and is intended for track use. You won't want to regularly drive it on the street because it will be tiresome after a while and kill your mileage while providing little benefit for street use. Therefore:

TK use and a non-covered issue = minor risk
Tracking your car = moderate risk
Racing your car = high risk

So bottom line is being worried about the warranty and having TK are really mutually exclusive if you're going to use it for what it was designed to do.

Below is my email to Ford Motor Company’s North American Customer Relationship Center about my concerns on the 3 years or 36,000 miles warranty after the installation of TracKey.

I will keep the forum updated when I get an answer from FMC.

23 October 2012

Mary Anne
Ford Motor Company
North American Customer Relationship Center

Thank you for the information I requested on the emission ratings for the 2012 Boss with and without the use of TracKey. The data you provided me from Ford’s Plant Vehicle Team/Performance/Racing Engine Calibration has indicated there is no difference between the emission ratings between the 2012 Boss with or without the use of TracKey.

Some of my requests about the Boss TracKey were addressed; others were not. Below is my original email to Ford Motor Company (FMO) about issues I have concerning the Boss TracKey program.

Ford Motor Company
Main Topic: Community/Environment
Email Questions:

What is the difference in the emission ratings between a 2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302 driving with TracKey and driving without TracKey?

Please include the Global Warming Score, Annual Greenhouse Gas Emissions, Smog Score, Emissions Certification Standard and Annual Smog Emissions for the following vehicles:

2012 Ford Mustang Boss Coupe without TracKey
2012 Ford Mustang Boss Coupe with TracKey
2012 Ford Mustang GT500 Coupe

Also, I would like to know what issues Ford is having before they can release TracKey to many anxious 2012 Boss owners.

V/r
Warren Martin

I contacted Lisa Chiladakis at CARB for the emission ratings for the 2012 Boss and the 2012 Shelby GT500. Below is CARBs comparison between the 2012 Boss and the 2012 Shelby GT500:
2012 BOSS COUPE 5L, 2012 GT500 COUPE 5.4L,

Emission Ratings

Global Warming Score: 4* 5*

Ranked 1-10 Ten is the cleanest Score*

Annual Greenhouse Gas Emissions: 12563 lbs. 13885 lbs.

Smog Score: 4* 6*

Ranked 1-10 Ten is the cleanest Score*

Annual Smog Emissions: 1650 grams per mile 2400 grams per mile

There are many online forums, i.e. The Mustang Source.Com and the Boss Mustang Online, for the 2012 Boss owners’ to vent their opinions about their 2012 Boss.

I am certain some if not all forums are monitored by FMC. Deysha, is a representative at Ford Customer Service Division that monitors The Mustang Source.Com. She has been very helpful answering some of our questions about most anything but TracKey.

The main topic of discussion on every forum, to no one’s surprise, is the release of TracKey. Why is it taking FMC so long to release TracKey? There has been a lot of finger pointing to CARB for TracKey not being released.

After I contacted CARB for the emission ratings for the 2012 Boss and the 2012 Shelby GT500 I find it hard to believe CARB was the reason for the long delay releasing TracKey. The emission ratings for the 2012 Boss was much lower than the 2012 Shelby GT500.

FOC first announcement of TracKey was on 11 November 2010 via “Media.Ford.Com. It was every Mustang owner’s dream or was it? We waited and waited for more information on TracKey.

The production of the Boss was announced but nothing on about TracKey. We place our orders with our Ford dealerships; they knew as much about TracKey as the future Boss owners did – NOTHING!

We have been driving our Boss for months and the only information we have about a delivery date for TracKey has always been the same answer; it will be here – SOON!

After nearly a year of virtually total silence from FMC about TracKey - the very long awaited announcement about the release of TracKey has arrived. However, the release date of TracKey at SEMA next month will keep all the forums very hot with new questions.

As a Boss owner I have many questions I feel that needs to be addressed by FCO so I may make an informative decision about having TracKey installed on my Boss.
The first announcement FOC released about TracKey was on 11 November 2010 via “Media.Ford.Com which read in part:

2012 MUSTANG BOSS 302 LETS LOOSE WITH TRACKEY; CHOOSE STOCK OR FULL-RACE CALIBRATION

• TracKey, available for 2012 Mustang Boss 302 owners through Ford dealers, adds TracMode powertrain control software to the car for track use, providing full race calibration and two-stage launch control in addition to stock calibration, without compromising factory warranty

• Using a dual-path powertrain control module (PCM), TracKey software is installed after the vehicle is purchased; accessed by a specially programmed vehicle key, new code coexists with stock Boss software, allowing drivers to choose between street or track use simply by selecting a key

• No aftermarket chips or permanent modifications are made when TracKey is used, allowing owners to return to the stock setting by starting the car with a regular key

It is my understanding: TracKey is warranted for factory-supplied material or workmanship, when installed on a Boss 302 or Laguna Seca by an authorized Ford or Lincoln Dealer, beginning upon dealer installation and registration of the part(s) with Ford Racing for the balance of 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the start date of the manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

This Limited Warranty replaces the existing manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty for engine, driveline and suspension parts, when the warranted Ford Racing Part is identified as the causal part of a warrantable concern.

Marry Anne, the new 3 years or 36,000 miles warranty now has me and other Boss owners with many issues about TracKey that needs to be addressed promptly by FMO.

What happened to: TracKey, available for 2012 Mustang Boss 302 owners through Ford dealers, adds TracMode powertrain control software to the car for track use, providing full race calibration and two-stage launch control in addition to stock calibration, without compromising factory warrant?

1. Does the installation of TracKey reduce your current Ford driveline warranty to the balance of 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the start date of the manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty?

2. How does TracKey affect owners that purchased an extended warranty from FOC?

3. Why is TracKey only installed after the purchase; is it to give the owner the option of 5 year 60,000 mile warranty without TracKey or 3 year 36,000 mile warranty with TracKey?

4. Would TracKey be the blame for premature T-86 transmission failures and not covered by the warranty?
If any of these TracKey concerns are true it is my opinion FMC has not been forth coming about TracKey and has used misleading marketing to promote TracKey.

V/r
Warren

From: Customer Relations, Nacrc (.) [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2011 10:16 AM
To: Martin, Paul W Civ USAF AFMC WR-ALC/GRNAAA
Subject: Ford Motor Company - Emission Ratings - 2012 Mustang TracKey

Hi Warren,

Below is the information obtained from our Plant Vehicle Team/Performance/Racing Engine Calibration contacts. I hope it is helpful.

Thank you for taking the time to write us. Have a great day!

For TracKey, here are the emissions numbers as determined by CARB at their lab:

Sincerely,
Mary Anne
Ford Motor Company

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
Of course my local dealer, who I didn't buy my Boss from, didn't even know about track key when I stopped in to ask about setting up an appointment.... this makes me feel confident.

I do look forward to the install of the key and very happy this is getting to a close a few more weeks had a really good weekend went to an event and got nothing but ducks around my car all day alot of wows feels good to have something worth showing off at times not once did this happen with my camaro ss tradein:) Oh for you who dont know what ducks are it is a person whon puts their hands together behind their back and leans forward walking around your car going wow

I know what you mean. Driving around town, People seeing my BOSS fall in 2 catagories. The first don't have a clue what you're driving, the second see & hear you coming & are truly amazed. What's really funny is I get alot of "nice car" comments & thumbs up from kids, say 8 to 12 yrs old, maybe it's the comp orange color that grabs their attention.

The rumor about FMC changing the warranty after TracKey is installed in no longer a rumor – it is TRUE!

Below is a message from Dysha at Ford Customer Service Division. She is on the forum at themustangsource.com

Originally Posted by marcs93
If I read it correct it only over-rides the 5/60 if it is the "Ford Racing part"that fails.Any other problem not related to Track-Key would keep the 5/60.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jza1736

"This Limited Warranty replaces the existing manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty for engine, driveline and suspension parts, when the warranted Ford Racing Part is identified as the causal part of a warrantable concern. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammer
As in many warranty claims it helps to have a good relationship with the dealer
This info is correct, guys. I'll explain below... Also, I agree with Whammer. It's always good to have a nice relationship with your dealership in general, not just for warranty claims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06GT
Do note the Powertrain Warranty coverage drop from 5/60 to 3/36 w/ TracKey install...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss2X
Looks like Deysha has some more investigation to do for us now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jza1736 I'm not sure about this 1. For something I will use 3/4 times a year. All the dedicated track rats will love it. But I think a no-go for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby08 ...now they're limiting the one you have for getting a product designed for your vehicle in particular......oh well.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs I was very curious to see what Ford would do about warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyfigfam
...Hmmmm, what if one buys the Ford ESP Premium Care 100k warranty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby08
Aren't all warranties voided anyway if something goes wrong from running it on the track????

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlues9108
Very sharp eye! Our current drivetrain warranty is 5 years 60,000 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiggs54
Does the ECM record what octane is used? I would doubt it, but if so any speculation on how running race gas might affect the warranty?

Quote:
Thanks!
I feel we are getting a ... if TracKey decreases our manufactures driveline warranty from the 5 year/60,000 miles to 3 years 36,000 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss man
Having the warranty pulled out of under you after promoting the car without compromising factory warranty is just the over the top and cannot be legal.

Hello my awesome members!!

So, great news about the TracKey coming out!! Now, to clarify on the warranty questions… This will be like any other FRPP aftermarket part that you add to your vehicle with one exeption; the repairs will be covered longer than 12/12. The 5 yr/60K mile Powertrain warranty will stay in effect. If the the TracKey programming causes any concern, that specific repair will be covered for 3yrs or 36,000 miles. This is great coverage for an aftermarket part on your vehicle. If you have any ESP, the same rules will apply.

Let me also mention the fuel changes: You’ll be using 91 octane fuel or higher to avoid any engine damage. Please note: damage caused by low octane fuel will not be covered under the Ford Racing limited warranty.

Please continue to enjoy your Bosses!!! If you guys ever need anything, just PM me. Have an awesome day!!

Deysha
Last edited by FordCustomerService; Today at 9:53 AM.[/color
]

Really not getting your beef here. What other after-market tuner is going to give you ANY warranty on a tune? Ford Racing giving a 3yr/36k mile warranty is THREE times what they normally give on an after-market tune, power pack or part. TK was never sold as OEM and has always been an after-market tune available from FRPP.

You don't HAVE TO buy TK. Most people do mod their Mustangs, but as soon as you do it changes the game, FRPP or Steeda or whoever.

I called my dealer this am, and sent him copy of email you posted here, He had the tech guy order my TK program today, and said he got confirmation.
My Boss is their only allocation, but he stays up on most of the super cars they get. He emailed me immediately when he got confirmation.
Hope to get it in, and installed in a week, or two. He even said they would work with me on install cost, I told him thanks since I gave them 3k over MSRP. LOL.

This was posted on TheMustangSource.com

So, great news about the TracKey coming out!! Now, to clarify on the warranty questions… This will be like any other FRPP aftermarket part that you add to your vehicle with one exeption; the repairs will be covered longer than 12/12. The 5 yr/60K mile Powertrain warranty will stay in effect. If the the TracKey programming causes any concern, that specific repair will be covered for 3yrs or 36,000 miles. This is great coverage for an aftermarket part on your vehicle. If you have any ESP, the same rules will apply.

Let me also mention the fuel changes: You’ll be using 91 octane fuel or higher to avoid any engine damage. Please note: damage caused by low octane fuel will not be covered under the Ford Racing limited warranty.

Please continue to enjoy your Bosses!!! If you guys ever need anything, just PM me. Have an awesome day!!

Deysha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordCustService @FordMustang @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordMustang facebook.com/Ford
Last edited by FordCustomerService; Today at 9:53 AM

Deysha,

If TracKey has been installed on my Boss and the troublesome T-86 transmission fails at 41,000 miles will my transmission be covered 100% by FMC warranty?
Quote:

Deysha,
If TracKey has been installed on my Boss and the troublesome T-86 transmission fails at 41,000 miles will my transmission be covered 100% by FMC warranty?

I would honestly be guessing if I answered that question, TheBlues9108. If you do experience any concerns and have questions on what repairs will be covered as they come up, the dealership will be the one to answer that since they will have to diagnose the cause.

Deysha

Just got a call from my dealer. They have successfully placed my order for TracKey and were told it could take "up to a week" to arive. 8) Stopped by the dyno shop and with winter approaching, their schedule is pretty flexible. Should have comparative dyno charts and datalogs by the end of next week ;D

cloud9 said:
Just got a call from my dealer. They have successfully placed my order for TracKey and were told it could take "up to a week" to arive. 8) Stopped by the dyno shop and with winter approaching, their schedule is pretty flexible. Should have comparative dyno charts and datalogs by the end of next week ;D
Leading the way once again. :D I look forward to the data.

cloud9 said:
Really not getting your beef here. What other after-market tuner is going to give you ANY warranty on a tune? Ford Racing giving a 3yr/36k mile warranty is THREE times what they normally give on an after-market tune, power pack or part. TK was never sold as OEM and has always been an after-market tune available from FRPP.

You don't HAVE TO buy TK. Most people do mod their Mustangs, but as soon as you do it changes the game, FRPP or Steeda or whoever.

Cloud9 here is my beef:

As I read it the instillation of TracKey gives FMC the option after the 3 years 36,000 miles to deny warranty claims if they say the failure was due to TracKey.

Deysha

Last edited by FordCustomerService; Today at 9:53 AM

Deysha,

Quote:

Deysha,

I would honestly be guessing if I answered that question, TheBlues9108. If you do experience any concerns and have questions on what repairs will be covered as they come up, the dealership will be the one to answer that since they will have to diagnose the cause.

Deysha

p: 800.392.FORDt: @FordCustService @FordMustang @Ford

I just received this email:

Hi Warren,

The Trackey calibration will be available for purchase and installation beginning on November 2, 2011. Dealers will have all the necessary information on how to obtain the calibration, install the calibration, etc. Dealer will recieve the information on Trackey the week of 10/24/2011.

The delay in getting CARB approval was due to their concerns with the misfire monitor portion of the OBD II regulations. Specifically they were concerned that the midfire monitor would not be able to detect a misfire when Trackey was enabled. Ford had to prove that the misfire monitor was robust in detecting a misfire per OBD II requirements.

TracKey is warranted for factory-supplied material or workmanship, when installed on a Boss 302 or Laguna Seca by an authorized Ford or Lincoln Dealer, beginning upon dealer installation and registration of the part(s) with Ford Racing for the balance of 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the start date of the manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty. This Limited Warranty replaces the existing manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty for engine, driveline and suspension parts, when the warranted Ford Racing Part is identified as the causal part of a warrantable concern. Installation of these select Ford Racing parts by an authorized dealer does not nullify the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. All engine, driveline and suspension warranty issues not related to installation of Ford Racing parts remain subject to existing manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

I hope this addresses your concerns. Have a good day!

Sincerely,
Mary Anne
Ford Motor Company

Dang, I wish I could get it for $350 like a lot of you guys. Every place I call says the same thing:
1) $302 for the "part"
2) Tax (~$30)
3) One hour of "labor" (ie - plug it in and let the computer do all the work).

So the total is about $430.

And most places won't do it as they aren't Ford Racing Authorized....

- Scott

That's curious about the hangup with CARB over the misfire monitor. I wonder if that's related to "loosening" up that parameter to alleviate the P0300 code we are seeing on track.

farmboy90 said:
Dang, I wish I could get it for $350 like a lot of you guys. Every place I call says the same thing:
1) $302 for the "part"
2) Tax (~$30)
3) One hour of "labor" (ie - plug it in and let the computer do all the work).

So the total is about $430.

And most places won't do it as they aren't Ford Racing Authorized....

- Scott

Scott, FRPP is selling this part direct to all dealers not just FRPP dealers. Same cost same shipping. A non FRPP dealer can order directly and install. if you paid MSRP or higher for your Boss I would certainly get the sales department involved in negotiating a price for part and install.

As I suspected up here in Canada the two dealerships that I deal with seem to have no clue about the Track key program. It seems I have to beg them to check into it so I can spend my hard earned money.

As to the fuel octane whats the big deal I always use as a minimum 91 octane

I went to my dealer to see if I could have an order placed so it could be installed next week when it ships. First the guy told me "ya know, the car's ECU goes out of transport mode by itself at 25 miles." Then I said, "no, you can program the ECU to run the differently with the red key." He said "they all come with red keys, just use it to drive the car."

I convinced him to look it up (on this website) and he printed out the info and directed me to parts department.

The service guy was uninformed, but willing to help, which counts for a lot. The parts guy couldn't be bothered to get off his A**. I gave him the part number and he still wouldn't even look it up. Told me just to come back.

How can an organization so poorly train it's employees and stay in business?

TMO Supporting Vendors