The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

TracKey instructions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you verified if the instructions work yet? ;D

5 DOT 0 said:
Have you verified if the instructions work yet? ;D
Nope but maybe my dealer has? ??? Waiting on the call....starting to question whether install will go through today or drag on due to this post on another site, and my dealer saying they've been on the phone with Ford over install issues............

"At dealership. Tech says there is a problem using PTS to enable key. Ford is aware of problem and is working on it. No estimated time of fix."

jas427

BOSS LS #469
Yes had to leave mine there over night. The tune won't take. I was there with the shop forman trying to connect to ford web site. It would connect but would not connect to the program. it came up with a error code saying it was down and no ETA for it to be working. Maybe tomorrow they will get it together. If not the car is coming home with out it. It really doesn't do any changes I need. The Speed limiter is still active. And so is the Advance traction control from the info I read. DON"T KNOW WHY THEY CALL IT A TRACK KEY!!!!!!!!
Sorry Just a little tight over this. WHERE Is JON LUND?????

Sorry to hear you "First String" guys are having to deal with these setbacks getting TK installed. Hopefully you'll clear the way for the second wave to have no problems. I can't understand why there would be any problems since TK has already been installed on non production BOSSES . IT must have something to do with sending the right tech stuff to the dealers? Hopefully tomorrow we'll hear something more positive!

jeepinocala said:
I think it has something to do with their tunner haveing an old version of software?
All the Ford dealers use the same software. Ford discovered an issue with how their tool communicated the TK tune to the car's PCM so they updated the software. All dealers will have to download this update before installing TK.......

jas427

BOSS LS #469
Re: TracKey instructions INSTALLED AND WORKING

OK I got my call a picked up the BOSS with the new track key installed. Took it for a joy ride up and down the interstate. All seems good did notice a little more engine braking but for the price of it I'm completely satisfied with the one change and thats the lower engine TEMP!!!! Beat on it hard and it stayed at 200 and let it cool off it would drop as low as 180. Well more to come after this weekend.

Re: TracKey instructions INSTALLED AND WORKING

jas427 said:
OK I got my call a picked up the BOSS with the new track key installed. Took it for a joy ride up and down the interstate. All seems good did notice a little more engine braking but for the price of it I'm completely satisfied with the one change and thats the lower engine TEMP!!!! Beat on it hard and it stayed at 200 and let it cool off it would drop as low as 180. Well more to come after this weekend.
You really did not notice the engine braking? I did right away before even leaving the lot it was sweet and I think that it takes a bit of driveing before everything kicks in they drove mine a bit until they knew it was all done and let me tell you it is everything exactly what ford said I can fell and tell everything different and when switched back to the regular key I was amazed the difference.

There's a new version (1.1) of the customer instructions available at www.trackey.ford.com. One change is that early cars say "TRACKEY ENGINE ENABLRD" while later cars say "TRACKEY IDLE ENABLED"

ChuckP said:
Mine says "TRACKEY ENGINE ENABLED" (after it warms up). Does that mean they gave me an old version?
Nope you're just fine Chuck. At some point in the build they made a running change and the PCMs read TRACKEY IDLE ENABLED. I saw some post that had cars in the 1200 range with TRACKEY ENGINE ENABLED. I'm not sure which build # had the message changed to TRACKEY IDLE ENABLED, but it's obviously higher than 1200. The tune is the same, it's just the displayed message that was changed.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
What do they have to do to get the thing to install? This is the third time I've scheduled an appointment and third time they've failed. :mad:

ufnavy06 said:
What do they have to do to get the thing to install? This is the third time I've scheduled an appointment and third time they've failed. :mad:
If they tried three times I would search around for a dealer that has done it before a tune is not for a beginner even make them call someone to come to their dealership that knows how it needs to be done hard wire not wireless internet also they need to have their tool up to date ahead of time the battery charger is importante to. make them call someone who has done it already with no problems FIRST.

#369 was programmed on Saturday. No problem and process took just under one hour. An improvement in low end torque; engine breaking; lopey idle and overall performance. Thanks Ford for an innovative idea. Anyone put a TracKey car on a dyno yet?

TMO Supporting Vendors