The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

TracKey is here! Those that are installing - please post!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cajundao said:
Ok, $300 for software and 1 hour labor ($80) for installation? thanks for your reply.

Here's my advice and few things to look out for... after having to make two visits to the dealer myself.
1. Purchase the "tune" online, the "tune" should go for around $210 + shipping. Check AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake parts department (formely Tousley Ford). You may find other online dealer parts dept. links within this thread as well.

2. Check if the dealer has performed a Track Key installation before, because they need to have the right equipment, software, and operating system. If they haven't, I'd look for another dealer, unless you really trust them. (downside to having an experienced dealer is that they may charge you for two hours for labor, since they really know how long the install might take)

3. Make sure the dealer hardwires the laptop to their network and not wireless. If connection drops, they have to start over again.

4. Be prepared to leave your car at the dealer for a whole day, because the PCM might encounter errors during the install, and the process has to be restarted multiple times while they call Ford Racing.

5. Once you're ready to pick up the car, check that tune and features have been completely installed. Check the FAQ section of the paper work for the step-by-step to installation confirmation (you may also find the steps in this thread. Note 2012 and 2013 have different ways of confirming the installation).

6. Enjoy the red key everyday lol

F.D. Sako said:
Here's my advice and few things to look out for... after having to make two visits to the dealer myself.
1. Purchase the "tune" online, the "tune" should go for around $210 + shipping. Check AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake parts department (formely Tousley Ford). You may find other online dealer parts dept. links within this thread as well.

2. Check if the dealer has performed a Track Key installation before, because they need to have the right equipment, software, and operating system. If they haven't, I'd look for another dealer, unless you really trust them. (downside to having an experienced dealer is that they may charge you for two hours for labor, since they really know how long the install might take)

3. Make sure the dealer hardwires the laptop to their network and not wireless. If connection drops, they have to start over again.

4. Be prepared to leave your car at the dealer for a whole day, because the PCM might encounter errors during the install, and the process has to be restarted multiple times while they call Ford Racing.

5. Once you're ready to pick up the car, check that tune and features have been completely installed. Check the FAQ section of the paper work for the step-by-step to installation confirmation (you may also find the steps in this thread. Note 2012 and 2013 have different ways of confirming the installation).

Thank you

F.D. Sako said:

Sidenote, I had the restrictor plate removed today. Simply wow...beautiful sound. Also what are the benefits of Trackey if my driving will be on road, not track?

SouthJerseyBoss said:
#494 got her split personality installed this morning. For anyone in the NJ area looking for a knowledgable shop to do this, I highly recommend speaking with Ryan at Winner Ford in Cherry Hill. The guys is awesome and a Ford factory sponsored racer (drag). He let me observe the entire process standing next to him while talking racing. He has a '13 CJ on order which should arrive in a week or two. He went with me as I test drove the car after the install and he was smiling as much as I was!!

Anyway, wow is this a cool option! ;D The throttle mapping is more drivable IMO, and the engine braking is really noticeable. Can't beat the popping on decel either! The lopey idle is absolutely noticeable, I can see and feel the car 'shake' at stop lights.

:D

Cool man - I had mine done at Downs Ford in Toms River - they were done in about 2 hours. I dealt with Rick and they service all of the NJ Stangers club here in Jersey too.

TMO Supporting Vendors