The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

TracKey is here! Those that are installing - please post!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The loss of your warranty was also not as advertised and you still bought. Good luck with your complaints to Ford

I am sure warranty wont be an issue. And from what I understand the program from Ford Racing is covered for 3 years compared to 1 year for most of the aftermarket programs.
Besides how can you have a feature in a car like that and not activate it.

Not sure yet. I'm not hearing too many great things about. Lucky for me car is in storage and I get too hear all about it and decide next year. I also have a list of Mods too do and TK is sliding down every day I read the forums

Re: TracKey Warranty Registration

5 DOT 0 said:
I just read through the blue paper TracKey Voucher that came with the installation package. At the bottom is states to register for Ford Racing Limited Warranty. Is this necessary and has anyone done this?
I called Ford Racing a few days ago and they said mine was already registered. I think he said it got registered when the dealership entered the VIN to activate the key. It would be nice to get something in writing indicating the warranty was activated.

in order to download the program it is necessary to enter your warranty information including address and name. that is also necessary for them to mail you the CARB exception sticker. In other words no registration no installation

A watered down version to clear CARB was my fear, and I think a very real one since it took so long to clear CARB and there was so much pressure on Ford to get it out to market as promised. If anyone has an inside line on what actually happened to get CARB to finally clear it and if it is, in fact, a watered down tune because of that, I'm sure we'd all like to know.

After three trips to the service dept. and persistence on the phone telling them I knew all the parameters that had to be met blablablabla, Was told today by ford performance parts engineer email that the programming in the video posted by Ford was a prototype car and our trackey programming is different and won't sound the same. Would have been nice to know ahead of time so people could have made their minds up whether worth the money and loss of warranty. Definately false advertising in my opinion to leave that video and sound bite up if its not accurate. I doubt mine will see a track, so the idle was the key for me literally. Really disappointed.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
Dropped the car off at 7am and had a call by 8:30 am that the car was done and ready to go. $302 + one hour labor.

Drove it home last night (31* outside). Once the car hit 180* on the aeroforce gauge, the display changed to TracKey Engine Engaged and lopey idle started at each stop. From inside the car, you can feel a 'miss' once in a while, but the sound is not that much different. Put down the windows though (it was 31*) and you can hear it. Idled it in the garage and you can tell the difference. I don't think it idles as 'hard' as Todd's did at MPH, but there is probably some PCM learning that still needs to occur.

I will tell you, driving it in traffic sucked. You guys can tell me you couldn't tell the difference in engine braking. That was crazy in first / second gear in stop-n-go traffic.

I got mine installed yesterday. Took 2.5 hrs, $420 with tax etc. Only glitch was the dealer finding the right computer to use, they had to try two different ones. Calling ahead and making sure they looked up the recent patch etc also helped.

Feels stronger to me, the idle is fun. The warmer the car, the more you notice. Sitting at a stop light the whole car rocks back and forth occasionally. Idle is deeper sounding and very noticeable.

When I put the regular key back in, the throttle response feels mushy. I don't see why I'd use the regular key anymore except to back out of the garage to wash the car.

I personally applaud Ford for doing this. No one else has. How much R&D money had to go into this for what, maybe 2000 cars? A tune you'd get for another car wouldn't give the flexibility of just swapping keys to restore to stock, would have cost double the money and voided any warranty you had.

If the idle isn't as aggressive as the video...so what. The real bonus is in throttle response and engine braking.

Information from a Ford Customer Service Rep:

"The following info should answer some of your questions. I did some digging and this is what I found from FRPP and the TracKey:

1) Lopey idle is significantly more pronounced with the side exhaust plates completely removed. It is also more pronounced with the A/C off. Combustion stability increases with increasing engine load, so anything that increases engine load (such as A/C) will decrease the "lopeyness" of the idle, which is created by increasing cam overlap at idle to simulate the "racing cam" sound and feel of 60's muscle cars. This is purely the physics of the way internal combustion engines work.

2) One of the videos in circulation shows a prototype level of TracKey software that was not emissions legal. No claim was made as to that being the final product. The level of cam overlap was slightly reduced to pass emissions. We worked very hard to meet emissions regulations and provide the industry-first lopey idle feature, and we feel we've reached the optimal solution that satisfies both criteria.

Please continue to enjoy your Bosses!!! Have a good one!

Deysha"

I FINALLY, Took my car in today #1029, 8am My SECOND TRIP, the Tech LET ME HELP HIM, closed down everything, hard ethernet cable to computer, windows xp, all pop up blockers off, etc. turned off everything, doors closed, windows down, and locked so no one would open the doors, GOT TO LINE 22, AND PART NUMBER SHOWED UP, clicked it, nothing, typed M (someone else suggested that here)worked, went to tire size, typed 1st number, whtn second, went to it, went to rear end, and typed in 1st number3, then . then 7 it poped up. Program download perfectly, went through on off, key changes etc. only took about 20 minutes and WE/I was done.
He even left me while he answered a call, download was done, and ready for him to complete when he got back.
ONLY CHARGED ME 345.68 total.
I noticed idle loupy sound , and some little responses. Nothing to drastic.
JUST GLAD ITS DONE................

Congratulations! Yep, there is a price to pay for being early users for almost anything. Sounds like you're all systems go at this point.

jec246

I think I'm going to wait a few more weeks to install. I'm worried about the detonation issues I have been reading about on here. I have it and I am going to install it, but I think with fords admission to the issue I'll wait just a little longer. :p I hope not many people are affected by that problem. :-[

I had mine programed yesterday. Green Ford did a great job. Had one little hangup, but after they downloaded the software everything went great. I was the first one they did and they are good to go now if anybody else is in the area, go for it. I totally love it and after all, it WAS one of the selling points and is only a complete Boss after getting the trackey programed. Believe it or not if I drive it like normal, which is hard to do now, I get better gas mileage. Simply love the result.

1024 is done. Installed 1 week after 1st failed attempt. The service mgr is a mustang freak, so I told him and the tech that did the work to take it out for a spin and report back (he's been my service mgr for years). When they came back in he asked if I was going to remove the exhaust plates. I told them at some point I would- and they replied with "how about now?". So- TK in, plates out, big smile on. Total cost $0 (part of the deal when I ordered the car... at $100 below msrp... love my dealer), execpt a couple Apple Bee gift cards for the service mgr and the tech.

M81b said:
1024 is done. Installed 1 week after 1st failed attempt. The service mgr is a mustang freak, so I told him and the tech that did the work to take it out for a spin and report back (he's been my service mgr for years). When they came back in he asked if I was going to remove the exhaust plates. I told them at some point I would- and they replied with "how about now?". So- TK in, plates out, big smile on. Total cost $0 (part of the deal when I ordered the car... at $100 below msrp... love my dealer), execpt a couple Apple Bee gift cards for the service mgr and the tech.
Nice :D It's great to develop a good relationship with your dealer and take care of your techs. They are often as enthusiastic as the owners about special cars like the Boss. I'm sure they appreciated the gesture on the gift cards.

cloud9 said:
Nice :D It's great to develop a good relationship with your dealer and take care of your techs. They are often as enthusiastic as the owners about special cars like the Boss. I'm sure they appreciated the gesture on the gift cards.
I wish I had a long term relationship with a dealer. The one that installed my TK is supposed to have the best service department in town and is a FRPP dealer. I'll focus on them but I wish they were closer to me. They were smart enough to order ten TK's and sold out the first week. They sold several to other dealers in the area. I like their thinking. ;)

Maui
LING952 said:
I FINALLY, Took my car in today #1029, 8am My SECOND TRIP, the Tech LET ME HELP HIM, closed down everything, hard ethernet cable to computer, windows xp, all pop up blockers off, etc. turned off everything, doors closed, windows down, and locked so no one would open the doors, GOT TO LINE 22, AND PART NUMBER SHOWED UP, clicked it, nothing, typed M (someone else suggested that here)worked, went to tire size, typed 1st number, whtn second, went to it, went to rear end, and typed in 1st number3, then . then 7 it poped up. Program download perfectly, went through on off, key changes etc. only took about 20 minutes and WE/I was done.
He even left me while he answered a call, download was done, and ready for him to complete when he got back.
ONLY CHARGED ME 345.68 total.
I noticed idle loupy sound , and some little responses. Nothing to drastic.
JUST GLAD ITS DONE................

Congratulations! It's nice they let you help out.

LS #282 instaled on the 1st try. The idle reminds me of my 64 289. It had a 460X292 cam the lope is a bought the same as much as I can remember. This is cool, the streets are wet and when they dry it's going for a ride. Will report back after.

TMO Supporting Vendors