The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

TracKey software approved. Now what.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: TracKey software approved!!!!!

Here's the content of the email.

Dear Boss Mustang Enthusiast -

Thank you for your interest in our new TracKey technology.

Ford Racing and the California Air Resources Board (CARB) have been working closely to ensure that TracKey achieves certification as quickly as possible.

We are happy to report that the testing is completed and Ford Racing will announce the availability of TracKey at the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) show in Las Vegas on Nov. 2.

We recognize that there is great anticipation for this exciting product and wanted to share this news with you ahead of the SEMA show.

Thank you for your patience,

Ford Racing Performance Team

Thanks 5 DOT for the thread.

There is a previous thread that mostly debates when the software will be released.

However, I thought a new thread would be appropriate to discuss exactly what the TracKey is and how it works.

A couple of questions, does anybody know if this is an actual update to the a chip or the update is a key that unlocks software already in the car?

I saw a speculation that maybe they are waiting until Nov 2nd because maybe they have to water down the original.

If that's the case it would be interesting if we could figure out how it works. If it's like I perceive then possibly figure out if there is a way to save or export the settings from existing cars where the TracKey work.

Then I wonder if there is a way to "backup" existing settings and then restore your own settings.

Obviously that may cause some warranty issues.

Anyway, if nobody knows, I would think that Ford would patent this correct? If so are patents available to the public?

I'm just talking off the top of my head solely if CARB made them water down the update as I'd be curious as if there would be a relatively "Safe" way to undo what they mandated, (If anything) for those that don't live in CA.

Of course then again, maybe the changes are trivial. It would still be fun to understand exactly how this all works.

My guess is that the key has a transmitter in it and sets a condition that the software checks for when it initializes.

Our cars have a dual path system so the software will be a separate path and the red key has a unique chip in it to unlock the path. I'd be surprised if Ford is not trying to gain a patent on the technology.

We do know Ford did not get TK approved at their first go around with CARB. My bet is the lopey idle did not pass CARB in it's original state and had to be detuned to pass. My understanding is the lopey idle is caused by overrun which is unburnt fuel. With cars running so clean these days any unburnt fuel is going to cause a car to not pass emissions.

We do know the following:

*Lopey Idle
*Launch Control
*More aggressive throttle
*More aggressive engine braking
*Somewhere between 200-600 parameters have been changed
*Improved torque at lower RPM's (like it needs it ;) )
*Others?

Having driven a TK equipped car at Track Attack I can confirm the more aggressive throttle, although I didn't think it was that aggressive, the more aggressive engine braking, I thought it was more noticeable, and the lopey idle. The car I drove felt slower than mine but I'm at sea level and MMP is at 4,500 feet so the elevation was robbing HP. We did not get a chance to pretend to be John Force with Launch Control. ;D

I thought frosty's post was asking:

Did the cars come equipped with BOTH programs already residing in the computer? If so, is there a way to download both programs from the car before taking it in to Ford - at which time Ford will activate TracKey and reflash the onboard TracKey program with the dumbed-down CARB version? Then, after the chip in the key is activated, take the saved original TracKey program and upload it to the car's computer, overwriting the dumbed-down version?

Maybe someone can get a hold of the Track Attack program before it's too late.

Pretty disappointing if the end result is a watered down version...then especially it begs the question if it is worth $302. I really think Ford should give us the tune for free...

[quote author=5 [/quote]Most dealers will charge an hours worth of labor to install it.
[/quote]That would not surprise me at all.

Too much speculation going on here.

We have waited this long, everyone relax we can wait another month.

I say enjoy what we have, it's still the best thing going, software or not.

well I just hope they get it done no more promisses I have had contact with ford all I kow is they told me sometime this month thats it but as for rough idle well I just got some Quicktimeperformance electric exhaust parts in today would post a pic but cant get it to take a pic yet they are very nice well built and this is comming from a medical tool maker I am very picky these are great and go good with the new laser intrceptor i just got in now add the track key and idle should be pretty good.

jeepinocala said:
well I just hope they get it done no more promisses I have had contact with ford all I kow is they told me sometime this month thats it but as for rough idle well I just got some Quicktimeperformance electric exhaust parts in today would post a pic but cant get it to take a pic yet they are very nice well built and this is comming from a medical tool maker I am very picky these are great and go good with the new laser intrceptor i just got in now add the track key and idle should be pretty good.
You need to use an external photo hosting site and use the IMG link or paste into the Insert Image from the Post Reply screen.

At the dealer where I bought my Boss, there is a employee that deals mostly with Mustangs. He says that there are 2 different TracKey programs. One for what he calls the Street Boss and a more aggressive one for the LS cars. Does anyone know if this is true.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
BOSS STANG said:
At the dealer where I bought my Boss, there is a employee that deals mostly with Mustangs. He says that there are 2 different TracKey programs. One for what he calls the Street Boss and a more aggressive one for the LS cars. Does anyone know if this is true.

Completely untrue altogether, sounds like he should go back to reading his sales brochures. LS and "regular" Boss both have the same calibrations for regular PCM and TracKey PCM.

BOSS STANG said:
Incorrect. Both cars have the exact same engine and will have the same tune.

MoscowBoss

BOSS 771
NC USA
jeepinocala said:

Pictures will be great and would also appreciate info on how you ran the wires under the floor and got them into the cab and made the power connection. Did you use the new wireless remote? I will be getting a set as soon as I am back in country.

Thanks in advance.
Ed

Thinking about this a little more and reading up on tuning for about an hour last night. It appears that a lot of the custom tunes out there, you purchase a device that can store 3 to 4 tunes. You save your existing tune and then plug in tunes you order when you want them.

If I'm understanding the TracKey, as has been discussed, it's going to add set of codes to the stock ECM. I would think if tuners can save out the stock ECM then there may be a way to save out both.

So now you would only want to modify the code bank that stores the code activated by the red key. It would be nice if they could save original TracKey software and then give you options for 2 or three more.

All the while they are initialized when the tracKey is used.

All this is theory but it would seem it would be possible.

P.S. The Quick Time Performance cut outs sound interesting. However, what about if we start a new thread to discuss them?

TMO Supporting Vendors