The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

TracKey use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

302 Hi Pro said:
Interesting TracKey observation: it seems to me that the harder I run the Boss with TK, the more pronounced my TK idle becomes. Conversely, I used TK for a docile run to the Marina, 120 mile round trip, and while parking the Boss in the garage, TK idle seemed very tamed and not as pronounced.

I always run Sunoco Ultra, 93 Octane, so petrol is not a variable.

Is this my imagination?

302 Hi Pro

Your car is "learning" a much different mode of operation than mine. I too use sunoco 93 exclusively. I know I'm using more fuel because my track key idle speed is about 900 rpm red, and 725 silver. This smoothes outs any changes in cam profile and fuel maps at idle. The fuel contamination in the oil is higher as is the soot in my exhaust.
We all know Ford embellished the fuel maps in track key. IMNSHO Ford is not idiots, I believe part of the warranty and CAFE compromise is rich fuel maps for a touch cooler mixture as a detonation suppressor as the altered fuel maps don't have huge power differences. You also have the correct engine mods to get the most out of your track key tune.

My point with all kidding aside is that my car doesn't particularly like using track key in grandpa drive mode. The drive ability is the same. It drives fine either way. All it does is waste fuel!l

302 Hi Pro said:
Interesting TracKey observation: it seems to me that the harder I run the Boss with TK, the more pronounced my TK idle becomes.

I "think" I notice the same thing. I remember test driving the car with Trackey prior to purchasing it and I was pretty mellow on the accelerator. When we pulled back into the garage, the idle did not seem significantly more aggressive.

After purchasing the car and going for a spirited canyon run with the Trackey, I did notice that at idle, the car seemed to have a more pronounced lope and sounded a bit more aggressive.

302 Hi Pro said:
Interesting TracKey observation: it seems to me that the harder I run the Boss with TK, the more pronounced my TK idle becomes. Conversely, I used TK for a docile run to the Marina, 120 mile round trip, and while parking the Boss in the garage, TK idle seemed very tamed and not as pronounced.

I always run Sunoco Ultra, 93 Octane, so petrol is not a variable.

Is this my imagination?

302 Hi Pro

Absolutely not, the more I beat on my car the lumpier the idle is.

TMSBOSS said:
Where did you find this??

Back to our regularly scheduled subject....

eBay. Needed something for the TK and don't want to use or lose the keychain in the Owners kit. $10 well spent ;D

Back to the topic...I'm curious, but does the TK actually add power to the car or does it primarily just change the idle sound, increase engine braking, and provide better throttle response? With 300+ parameters changed, I would assume some gains should/would be seen.

Sydewaysix said:
eBay. Needed something for the TK and don't want to use or lose the keychain in the Owners kit. $10 well spent ;D

Back to the topic...I'm curious, but does the TK actually add power to the car or does it primarily just change the idle sound, increase engine braking, and provide better throttle response? With 300+ parameters changed, I would assume some gains should/would be seen.
I read somewhere that Ford engineers claimed it was the programming for the Boss 302R race cars.

No power is added. Over laying dyno charts for silver and track key will show that. There may be very small gains low in the rpm band, but peak values definitely don't get improved with the track key.

It's really just a feature set.

It's not the true 302R tune. It's just been 'inspired' by some of the elements of the 302R tune.

I got this keychain on ebay last month for the track key. It's a heavy, quality keychain. It ships from Australia so it took a while. I removed the chain so the keychain wouldn't hit me in the knee.

BossKeychain_zps0ic6utm0.jpg

Berol said:
No power is added. Over laying dyno charts for silver and track key will show that. There may be very small gains low in the rpm band, but peak values definitely don't get improved with the track key.

It's not the true 302R tune. It's just been 'inspired' by some of the elements of the 302R tune.
I don't know about that. My car made more hp and torque with the track key over the silver key. Minor mods: axle backs, side pipes uncorked, Airaid intake with the baffle and an Accufab 83mm throttle body. I'll have dig up the dyno charts. It only picked up a few hp but the peak torque increase was surprising.

cholmes1

400lb Gorilla
Denver, CO
Given the conversation, is there a way to turn off the lopey idle when using the red key?

To better contribute I have not noticed any issues with me using the red key on a more regular basis however the miles per gallon does seem to drop by 1 to 1 1/2 miles per gallon if I take the same route to and from work vs the gray key.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
cholmes1 said:
Given the conversation, is there a way to turn off the lopey idle when using the red key?

No, the TK idle is programmed in as a TK feature, so there is no option to turn this feature off.

302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro said:
No, the TK idle is programmed in as a TK feature, so there is no option to turn this feature off.

302 Hi Pro

Could've sworn you could enable/disable lopey idle with pressing a few buttons. Could be mistaken though. May have to read the track key instructions to find out.

F.D. Sako said:
Could've sworn you could enable/disable lopey idle with pressing a few buttons. Could be mistaken though. May have to read the track key instructions to find out.

You are correct. Hold the "off" button on the steering wheel while starting the car and for five seconds after the engine starts. The tach will sweep to 9k and then back to normal. This indicates that all features except for lopey idle are activated. This only works with the track key only of course.....

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
BigTaco said:
You are correct. Hold the "off" button on the steering wheel while starting the car and for five seconds after the engine starts. The tach will sweep to 9k and then back to normal. This indicates that all features except for lopey idle are activated. This only works with the track key only of course.....

I have a 2012 and I guess with an "old school" electronic Drivers aid package, Sorry I missed this at first glance.

This is good information for 2013 Boss 302 Owners, thank you for posting.

BT: Do you know of any similar electronic features like this that might be available on a 2012?

Thanks again,
302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro said:
I have a 2012 and I guess with an "old school" electronic Drivers aid package, Sorry I missed this at first glance.

BT: Do you know of any similar electronic features like this that might be available on a 2012?

Thanks again,
302 Hi Pro

This should work on your 2012 as well...

302 Hi Pro said:

Thanks again,
302 Hi Pro

Pit road speed and launch control should work too, if that's what your asking.

http://s36.photobucket.com/user/2012Bosswhite/library/?sort=3&page=1
Berol said:

Found this Roush-Yates Dyno Sheet online. Shows a modest increase with track key. I hope this link works.

TMO Supporting Vendors