The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tracking the Boss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boss1 said:
cloud9 said:
boss1 said:
Yes through the wheels works fine. I always feel like I am messing with the alignment with the front straps crossed....
Are you going straight backward and forward with the through the wheels method? I was planning on tying it down that way and it's how Mac's showed them on their website too. I got their Pro Pack through the wheel kit for my new trailer. I just hope the car won't bounce side to side at all but since it's ratcheted down firmly I guess it shouldn't.

I have always crossed the fronts and the backs....... Maybe Ive been doing it wrong but my car never moves....
Oh I thought from your earlier comment you didn't like crossing them being concerned about messing with the alignment. I've always crossed mine too, but this is my first enclosed trailer. When I asked my buddy who has a similar trailer, he said he crosses them and has the through the wheel straps. He also said it showed them straight forward and backward on Mac's site. :shrugs:

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
cloud9 said:
boss1 said:
cloud9 said:
boss1 said:
Yes through the wheels works fine. I always feel like I am messing with the alignment with the front straps crossed....
Are you going straight backward and forward with the through the wheels method? I was planning on tying it down that way and it's how Mac's showed them on their website too. I got their Pro Pack through the wheel kit for my new trailer. I just hope the car won't bounce side to side at all but since it's ratcheted down firmly I guess it shouldn't.

I have always crossed the fronts and the backs....... Maybe Ive been doing it wrong but my car never moves....
Oh I thought from your earlier comment you didn't like crossing them being concerned about messing with the alignment. I've always crossed mine too, but this is my first enclosed trailer. When I asked my buddy who has a similar trailer, he said he crosses them and has the through the wheel straps. He also said it showed them straight forward and backward on Mac's site. :shrugs:

This is new to me also this season. I was planning on straight up front and crossed in the rear. I can't recall what others have done when I'm sititng in the paddock. My concern was crossing the fronts wasn't cool for the front end also.

I cross the rears, may help with the car bouncing side to side but in reality the car moves little and the straps are more for an emergency. I run the fronts straight forward from the LCA's, mainly because there is a set of good tie-downs on my trailer for them and main force the front straps would help with are acceleration while on the trailer. If this is true I would guess running them straight forward is the best way.

JMO but if you consider the forces these are under on the track I think it would be hard to put enough pressure with some straps to change the alignment.

2012YellowBoss said:
JMO but if you consider the forces these are under on the track I think it would be hard to put enough pressure with some straps to change the alignment.
That's always been my feeling too. Here's a link to Mac's site showing a Vette tied down straight forward and backward with the through the wheel Pro Pack like I have.

http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/product/261/All

Good video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btRWr3OO-hs&feature=player_embedded#![/youtube]

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Thanks Gary, that confirms straight is acceptable. I can easily cross the rears to get some additional left/right stability. With regards to a previous post reference: In my area towing without straps is not even close to being possible (if you've ever driven across the George Washington Bridge in NYC you know that I mean ;D ), it's also illegal.

That Mac's strap pack is the same one I purchased also. I don't know of any that are made better than those, they are pretty heavy-duty. If enough snow melts today I'll be putting her up on the trailer for the first time today. Since I have the tilt trailer with the hydraulic damper I need to see how the adjust the valves so it tilts forward at the correct speed. Also will be trying out the Race Ramps for the first time.

Georgia
I have a 26' enclosed trailer and have been towing it to various MCA and HPDE events for the past 10+ years.

While I have read about crossing the rears, I have simply gone straight front and rear and never had a problem. With an enclosed trailer the car moves very little (if at all). The only thing I have to do is after about an hour on the road, I pull over and check/retension the straps. On long hauls I will do this at every fuel stop as well, but typically after the first check, I don't have to readjust.

PeteInCT said:
Thanks Gary, that confirms straight is acceptable. I can easily cross the rears to get some additional left/right stability. With regards to a previous post reference: In my area towing without straps is not even close to being possible (if you've ever driven across the George Washington Bridge in NYC you know that I mean ;D ), it's also illegal.

That Mac's strap pack is the same one I purchased also. I don't know of any that are made better than those, they are pretty heavy-duty. If enough snow melts today I'll be putting her up on the trailer for the first time today. Since I have the tilt trailer with the hydraulic damper I need to see how the adjust the valves so it tilts forward at the correct speed. Also will be trying out the Race Ramps for the first time.
Cool let me know how it goes with the race ramps. I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on a set but wanted to make sure you didn't have any issues since you're the guinea pig this time ;D I can't imagine they won't work perfectly with the LS splitter and in my case with the enclosed the ramp is more gradual than my tilt bed open trailer.

Must be getting close to track season. I was planning on going up to my warehouse today and try out my new Mac's through the wheel tie downs on my Shelby that's just sitting inside the trailer in storage. I haven't even opened up the package since I sold my tilt bed trailer, tie downs, spare tire, and the whole nine yards to Wayne last fall.

Race ramps are one of the best items Ive seen. Light and durable. I used a set last year. I will get some for the boss this year.

I tested out my Mac's Pro Pack Through The Wheel tie downs today on the new trailer. At first I was stumped because there wasn't enough length between the floor rings and the front of the car. I called a buddy of mine for ideas and turns out he inadvertently ordered his set with the ratchet directly attached to the hook with no strap in between. That was the perfect solution for me to shorten them up enough to be able to ratchet them down, especially with the World Challenge splitter on the way :D I'm glad I got this sorted out today and not the night before I was heading out of town for the first track event of the season :-[

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here are my race ramps. After looking at this pic I see why I cracked one, I should have had them set about one foot forward.
b6e6g.jpg

I cross my front and rear straps in my enclosed trailer.

These are great for rear tie downs. The hole is already there and threaded.

tZzx7.png
iyHip.jpg
BUVDt.jpg

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Smitty- for the ramps a lot of guys put a short piece under the main planks to prevent cracking. Gowith Race Ramps, its a lot easier ;-)

For your tie downs, how many lbs of force are they rated for and where did you get them?

PeteInCT said:
For your tie downs, how many lbs of force are they rated for and where did you get them?

They were posted at the SVT forums, Rick can point you to the post there. I looked at them and decided that since they are right below the rear axle they would not save me any time or effort then throwing straps around the axles like I do now.

Smitty have you tried putting the wood under the door? I see many people doing that at local tracks here.

The tie down kit Gary posted looks nice and a decent price. Just for general info I use http://www.truckntow.com/ for many supplies, also decent prices.

boss1 said:
Race ramps are one of the best items Ive seen. Light and durable. I used a set last year. I will get some for the boss this year.
Ordered a set of RR-TR-5 last night at Pete's recommendation. I got them from THMotorsports for $277.20 shipped.

TMO Supporting Vendors