The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Trackspec S550 GT Hood Vents

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Scottsdale, AZ
Trackspec is now offering a drop in replacement for the S550 GT hood vents. Install was pretty straighforward - just had to cut out the underside of the hood with a dremel and the Trackspec vent drops right in. I understand they are also working on a GT4-style center vent which should be released shortly. Hopefully the combination of the two will perform close (both heat extraction and reduced lift) to the Tiger Racing or KohR hoods for a fraction of the price.

1a3336f03c857290a328f05d213f5be1.jpg488c85a532a5fc503253533701248f1d.jpg15bc706543aaae2870d6311cdc901e15.jpgb62606314293598b7eb1826e023741a2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those look pretty good. Did they do any testing for lift reduction?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Scottsdale, AZ
Those look pretty good. Did they do any testing for lift reduction?
Thanks. I highly doubt they tested this specific application and not sure if they've actually put any of their designs through a wind tunnel. Would be interesting to see, especially paired with a full size center vent, but my primary objective was enhanced cooling - any aero gains are certainly a plus.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Waco, TX
I will add that you may want to cover the air filter or put some sort of block there. I have a tiger hood and was told that venting the hood like this can cause the some power loss due the air being sucked away from the filter. I believe it was the owner Johnathan that told me this.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Scottsdale, AZ
I will add that you may want to cover the air filter or put some sort of block there. I have a tiger hood and was told that venting the hood like this can cause the some power loss due the air being sucked away from the filter. I believe it was the owner Johnathan that told me this.

I can see that being a possible issue. I am concerned about water getting into the filter as well so will likely create some sort of baffle to block directly above the filter.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Waco, TX
I can see that being a possible issue. I am concerned about water getting into the filter as well so will likely create some sort of baffle to block directly above the filter.

If you are using AIR Raid they may have the rain shield like they sent me. Works great!!!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Scottsdale, AZ
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Scottsdale, AZ
Gtorpedo did you mount your splitter strut to the bumper cover or to the metal bumper behind ? I like the vents on the hood

Thanks Jeff. After an incident with a large groundhog on track (and losing my splitter!!) I installed 6 M8 rivnuts in the frame that provide most of the structural support - see picture below. The splitter rods are just attached to the bumper.

a110d1688f515a1e40016b351dd9f556.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors