The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tracpec louvers and power adders

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SoCal
Hey everyone. I have a 2016 GTPP and I live in SoCal. I've made numerous changes to the suspension of my car in addition to using dedicated track tires and wheels. I am now looking to address some power adders and aero.

Being in SoCal and not really wanting the hassle of finding some backdoor and shady way (illegal) of passing smog, I'm looking hard right now at the Ford Performance Power Pack 3 for a power adder. It will give me the additional RPM's I want and much more power up top. I was thinking that if I wanted additional power from E85, I could always add larger injectors and bolt the stock throttle body back on and get a flex tune. When it comes time for smog, just switch back to the GT350 throttle body and ProCal tune. It's either that or save money with a ported 18 manifold and flex tune and change back every time smog comes up (not sure I want to go back and forth between intakes though).

Anyway, I had added an APR front splitter and one thing I noticed is that I now have hood flutter at speed when I didn't before. I'm looking at purchasing some Tracspec louvers to reduce under hood pressures and improve cooling, but I noticed that the drivers side louver sits right on top of the the open GT350 CAI that comes with the Power Pack 3.

My question is, does anyone know if this will have any effect on the CAI? In other words, with all that air rushing out of and over the louver create any type of vacuum that may hamper intake flow? I emailed Tim at OPMustang and he didn't think it would, but I'm just doing some more research before I make a decision. I added a larger photo of the louver along with the link above.

Any input is appreciated.

Attachments

• Trackspec louvers.png
    Trackspec louvers.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 114
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SoCal
Thanks Mad302. I don't know how I missed that thread. I will get on and ask Gtorpedo his thoughts and if it affected air flow to the filter.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Some people have been using plexi type material and sealing the top of the CAI off. There have been some people who have been vocal that the CAI is actually a hot air intake. Billy Johnson springs to mind, he wrote a comprehensive article on MotoIQ on the 3 Ford Power Packs and in that article he was pretty critical of the CAI's open top not sealing out hot engine bay air.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SoCal
Thanks everyone. You are all confirming my suspicion. Great idea with closing it up. @Black Boss what did you attach the plexiglass to exactly? I enlarged your image, but I can't tell what the screws are affixed to.

Thanks everyone. You are all confirming my suspicion. Great idea with closing it up. @Black Boss what did you attach the plexiglass to exactly? I enlarged your image, but I can't tell what the screws are affixed to.
Drill out the rubber grommets in the upper cover and use bolts and large washers to secure the plexiglass. The whole upper, with the plexiglass can be removed to change the air filter.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SoCal
View attachment 5653

My Trackspec louver is right above my CAI. Plus I have a Velossa Tech ram tube installed and all the air would exit the hood louver

Awesome, thanks! I have a Velossa Tech ram tube installed as well. I'm definitely going to fabricate my own cover after seeing these pics.

What type of hardware are you guys using to secure the plexiglass?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel