The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Traction control kicking in?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm the recent owner of a '13 LS and have a question. When I get on the gas in 1st, 2nd and sometimes 3rd gear the car will stutter. Not the engine, it kinda feels like wheel hop but not exactly. I'm guessing it's the traction control coming on and off real fast. Have you guys experienced this?

I'm on a road trip in the family minivan right now so I can't find an empty parking lot to experiment until the weekend.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
With the stock rear suspension and aggressive driving , wheel hop is not unusual.

You could turn traction control off and see if the same symptoms are present. Stop the car, foot on brake and hold down traction control button, button opposite the truck release, for 7 seconds. You should get a message showing TC turned off and a light on the dash. Then just give her a try.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
It will actually say "advancetrac off" if I remember correctly if you do the 7 second hold with foot on the brake while the car is at a compete stop. The traction control caution light on the dash will then illuminate.

PhilTaylor

Track Attack 5-26-14
For a 2013 in the Mustang Owners Manual ( not the Boss 302 supplement ) see
1) Page 175 for Traction Control on/off; and
2) page 177 for AdvanceTrac on/off.

Page 175 states "Turn off the traction control system by pressing the stability control button located on the center console."

Page 177 states "The electronic stability control portion of the system is disabled when the transmission is in position R or, on some models, if the stability control button is pressed and held for more than five seconds when the brakes are applied and the vehicle is at a stop".

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel