The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Traction control problems...HELP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

16' S550 PP was going into limp mode yesterday at a BIR track day. Here's the chain of events.

First session, anxious I forgot to engage "Track mode" and went 3 laps in normal driving mode. I realized this and on the straight at about 5000 rpm I engaged Track mode. One more lap later I get a Christmas tree of lights and it goes into limp mode.
Back in the pits I had to disconnect the battery and start and stop the engine to finally get the car out of limp mode.
Second Session, I put the car into Track mode and then held the advance track button until the light came on telling me Advance track is OFF. I went for a warm up lap and then ran hard for 3 laps. Between turns 6 and 7 my clutch explodes at the exact same time the Advance track warnings show up and puts me into limp mode again.

Now here's my issue. Is it possible the clutch was slipping and I didn't realize it and this caused the advance track warning and limp mode??? If not I am in trouble because I have never had the advance track warnings before.

I have been searching the net looking for a solution and some way to Disable the advance track PERMANENTLY, without disabling the ABS. I have not found anything, I'm hoping someone can help. Guys with full blown race cars?????

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Hey Mike:

Sorry to hear about your issues and of course your clutch. Those stock ones are a little "explodey".

I can't (personally) CONFIRM that an AT issue could be caused by the slipping clutch but I surmise that it may be POSSIBLE that such a thing could happen (engine RPM in a specific gear not aligned with what wheel speed sensors should say (MPH) for a that engine RPM range). I do know that on the dyno (with the front wheels stationary), the S197 (and I assume S550) will trigger an ABS warning.

For S197, we do have a Ford Racing ABS controller that will eliminate Advance Trac while keeping (and improving) ABS function (more focused on race tires).

I appreciate your response! I'm hoping the new clutch will take care of the issue. I'm going to the NASA event at Hallet and really don't need issues. I'll be doing some serious investigation till then.

If you weren't having this issue previously, and you started having this issue right before your clutch went they could be related. Regardless call KoHR or Watson Racing and ask if they are going to make an ABS module for the race cars that will work on the S550 cars. Please report back if you do.

Well, I spoke with Jeremy at Kohr who in turn talked with Dean about an ABS module that could bypass the TC. He said they didn't plan on making one and to just hold the button for 10 seconds or so until the system disables it. I told him I thought even with that done the system is not completely disabled. He agreed with me but thought for sure all my TC limp mode problems came from the bad clutch, and shouldn't be a problem after the new install.
I asked what they do on their race cars. He said they have a totally different wire harness and computer setup, not even close to OEM.
I think I'll call Watson next and see what they say. I'll keep ya posted.

@mnmike59 Just watching your video right before it lets go you can see the rpm run up. That happened fast!

Once you get the clutch in I would say you should be ok unless you have something wrong with the system. You don't keep anything in the center console do you? Unless you have some debris on the wheel sensors or the rear ones are coming apart it may just have been confused. I only get the Christmas tree on the banking of Daytona and ignored it for the session. Typically you will get ABS lights say if your battery died and you may have had the car on jack stands with the cruise control on....but once it picks up the signals from the fronts it usually clears.

Replace the slave cylinder while you are in there!

@OPMustang Tim, Why do you ask about keeping anything in the center console? I don't believe I had anything in there. And yes, the Slave cylinder is being replaced as well. Thanks!

Last edited:
You can also unplug this at the track to permanently disable tcs/at. You do lose launch control however :(1ed70031a5dcab4519deefc610e18f47.jpg1db76b2cfcbe370389e15ef1239e3b8c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Orlando, FL
You can also unplug this at the track to permanently disable tcs/at. You do lose launch control however :(1ed70031a5dcab4519deefc610e18f47.jpg1db76b2cfcbe370389e15ef1239e3b8c.jpg

What is that connection? I’ve got an 18’ non PP and would like to disable the Traction control / AT completely for track days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's just a jumper they use for trouble shooting the car. I don't know if the 18's have it or not.

From what I remember, advanced trac and traction control lights came on and you can't use launch control.

TMO Supporting Vendors