The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Traded a 2012 GT500 for a 2012 Boss 302

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

After having a 2012 GT500 for several months I made the "mistake" of driving a 2012 Boss 302. Long story short I ended up bring the Boss home.

While the GT500 is a great car I never really bonded with it. It always felt BIG and heavy. The Boss on the other hand feels like a small car by comparison. Braking, handling, steering are all much better than the GT500. I do, however, miss the 510 lbs/ft of torque.

On another note, I have read many complaints about the Boss shifter. However, it is far and way better than the GT500. It is nearly impossible to quickly shift from 1 to 2 at high RPMs without grinding the gears. Apparently it is a common problem affecting 90% of the Shelbys. It is thought to be due to cheep shifters and clutches.

To my knowledge Ford has chosen to ignore the issue. For a $50,000 plus car I found this to be very annoying.

So... I am very happy with the Boss. Much more so than I was with the Shelby. Next step is a MGW shifter and a track key.

Cheers!

Cool, welcome to the club. Be sure and post photos of your new Boss. Did your package arrive?

Maui
Docgab said:
After having a 2012 GT500 for several months I made the "mistake" of driving a 2012 Boss 302. Long story short I ended up bring the Boss home.

While the GT500 is a great car I never really bonded with it. It always felt BIG and heavy. The Boss on the other hand feels like a small car by comparison. Braking, handling, steering are all much better than the GT500. I do, however, miss the 510 lbs/ft of torque.

On another note, I have read many complaints about the Boss shifter. However, it is far and way better than the GT500. It is nearly impossible to quickly shift from 1 to 2 at high RPMs without grinding the gears. Apparently it is a common problem affecting 90% of the Shelbys. It is thought to be due to cheep shifters and clutches.

To my knowledge Ford has chosen to ignore the issue. For a $50,000 plus car I found this to be very annoying.

So... I am very happy with the Boss. Much more so than I was with the Shelby. Next step is a MGW shifter and a track key.

Cheers!

Congratulations! hope you got a good trade in value for your gt 500...

Congrats, good choice...but dont be disappointed when you have problems with this shifter. Everytime I take my car out I cant go into 1st or 2nd at least once or twice.

Congratulations on the new ride. A 2012 GT500 is a very nice ride, but a Boss is just special. Now if it was a 2013 GT500...not sure I could part ways with that kind of raw power.

Congrats on the trade. The Boss is a drivers car. As for missing the 510lbs of torque that can be fixed. I plan on installing a procharger next year. They have a complete tuner kit for the Boss. I am also use to a lot more power but did not like the way the Shelby felt on the road. Enjoy your new toy.

fbbob96

2013 SBY #0750
Docgab said:

Cheers!
Congrats on your trade. I did the exact same thing. I traded my 2012 Shelby vor the Boss. Pretty much the same reasons you gave. I also had an MGW installed and it is much better. Once you get the red key download and take those restricter plates off, you'll be in heaven

TMO Supporting Vendors