The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Trailer Insurance Carrier?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue__Venum

Serpent_R_647
Hey guys, got a trailer and my insurance carrier (USAA) does not insure trailers. They recommended progressive but curious for the trailer vets out there who insures your trailer and why?
Not a true statement. I bought a Futura trailer earlier this year and insured it thru USAA. I just made a claim because it was involved in a flood, along with my 2020 GT350 R and they just totaled out both. I had comprehensive and it was approx $14 a month.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Boy, this thread turned into an oh shiznit moment! I didn’t even think about contacting my agent when I bought the trailer earlier this year - just assumed liability was covered by the tow vehicle. Didn’t think about it being state dependent. Well, I emailed my agent (Farmer’s) and she said that liability from my vehicle insurance extends to the trailer while towing. I just need to email her the trailer VIN and she’ll add physical damage coverage and theft coverage, which she said is very inexpensive to add. Guess we’ll see.
Follow up to this; my agent was correct when she said coverage is inexpensive - $4/mo to add replacement coverage for damage/theft.

TX
The purpose-built hagerty policy is really nice for our situations, I recommend it myself.
What’s the cost on something like this compared to a traditional policy? Our new LQ trailer is pretty costly to ensure and I’ll always have my doubt how well they payout for something like this when there’s no used market.

Not a true statement. I bought a Futura trailer earlier this year and insured it thru USAA. I just made a claim because it was involved in a flood, along with my 2020 GT350 R and they just totaled out both. I had comprehensive and it was approx $14 a month.

hmmm interesting. Was it a separate policy for the trailer or an add on to the tow vehicle as has been mentioned in this thread?

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Guys, keep in mind when you call companies like USAA ( I also am a member , but I insure through American Family ) , Geico, Progressive, etc. and they tell you they do not cover something, it could be State specific. Before we start telling folks they are wrong about coverages or ability to acquire please remember what is available in your State could be completely different elsewhere. I have seen some huge differences, over the years, selling vehicles in almost every State in the Union, and the variances can be strange and confusing. Again, check with your Agent, and note that what one can get in Texas, may be completely different for coverage in Maine, or California, etc.

Honey Badger I would check with your carrier on Stated Coverage or look into Hagerty, Grundy, K&K, etc. who do specialized insurance for track cars and trailers.

What’s the cost on something like this compared to a traditional policy? Our new LQ trailer is pretty costly to ensure and I’ll always have my doubt how well they payout for something like this when there’s no used market.

My total Hagerty policy for five cars and inTech trailer is $3800 per year, which covers $450K at guaranteed replacement value. Only one of the cars is a street car (2016 GT350), and the miles are very limited. I also choose fairly high deductibles with insurance. Higher streetcar miles and lower deductible will of course raise the premium.

Somewhat off topic, but two of the biggest risks for your race trailer are fire and theft. A best practice now is to mount and plumb an automatic (heat activated) racing fire system directly in the trailer. Also lots of good options for gps monitoring and camera systems for a trailer.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Great info since over the years I have known two trailers that caught fire from hot race cars. Both were on hot days, after loading and on the way home, and the plywood soaked floor ( years of oil and other fluids saturating the floor ) ignited and was perfect tinder for a blaze. Solid thoughts from TractorJunk and something one should consider depending on their trailer, load and equipment.

Keep in mind many also are carrying racing fuel, etc. in the trailer also. It can be a rolling tinder keg!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
New England
Trailer side of the cost isn't all that meaningful, but I like Hagerty because on the car side they know what it means to insure a racecar. The value is on the car side...

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel