The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Trailer Tips?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sesshomurai

Gonna look at a used open car trailer with winch, tire rack, gear box and ramps.
Never bought a trailer before. What things should i look for (or look out for)?

Thanks.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Try to get a Torsen suspension if at all possible vs. leaf springs. If you can swing and aluminum one your upkeep will be a lot lower and resell value will stay high. Beware of undersized or low quality tires. All LED lighting is the way to go also. Make sure you get an electronic break-away system. Rated axle weight should be as high as you can go, the more the better. Assume you should only load your trailer to about 80% of ot's rated haul weight but no more. Get a GOOD set of straps, don't go for the economy line on these. Get a spare tire, you will be sorry if you don't ;D I'm sure there's more...

If you can afford it the Featherlite alluminum is very very good. Very well made, low, light, and the fenders pop off to clear the door. Almost all trailers the fenders are fixed and will force you to climbout the window.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Check out Aluma trailers also. Very well made and s little less than featherlite. Theymmake tilt models also. I own one.

Sesshomurai

This trailer I'm going to see is a used one a guy is selling near me. I'm going Saturday.

It has everything I wanted for $2400.

• Wheel Rack
  • Large gear box
  • Electric Winch
  • Electric brakes
  • Ramps
  • 7 point electrical harness

He said the hookup will charge the winch battery when I'm driving.

It's steel and he said it needs fresh paint, which shouldn't be a problem. It won't be as nice as an aluminum or tilt trailer, but I'm gonna offer $2000 so its a good deal for everything it comes with, right?

Just not sure what questions I should ask to avoid buying a lemon (beyond the obvious ones).

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Check amount if rust underneath. Integrity of brakes & wheel bearings. How old us it? Type of suspension ?

Make sure you can get the car on it without ripping your splitter off. My open trailer was a tilt bed and the regular Boss splitter still drug on the diamond plate but cleared ok. My enclosed trailer would only work with Race Ramps (or 2 x 10s if you're cheap) but Race Ramps are the way to go. Good call on the winch as I've used mine a couple times when the clutch has failed....both trailers. Does it have a rock shield? Pete covered all the important stuff.

The open trailers are great for fuel economy and a lot easier to pull. Obvious advantage of the enclosed is cargo capacity and protection from the elements and/or vandals. I miss my open trailer a little.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

trucktrailer1.jpg

Sesshomurai

Yeah, I got the race ramps, figured I would have to use them.

Do you use just the race ramp extenders? or the extender and middle segment too along with the trailer ramps?
I guess its easy enough to figure out.

Haven't seen it yet. Probably doesn't have removable fenders, but I'm hoping to use the winch to get the car on with my lovely tow ring!

The guy has an enclosed trailer and so is selling his 'spare' open trailer. I guess that's a credible reason so far.

darreng505 said:
Yeah, I got the race ramps, figured I would have to use them.

Do you use just the race ramp extenders? or the extender and middle segment too along with the trailer ramps?
I guess its easy enough to figure out.

Haven't seen it yet. Probably doesn't have removable fenders, but I'm hoping to use the winch to get the car on with my lovely tow ring!

The guy has an enclosed trailer and so is selling is 'spare' open trailer. I guess that's a credible reason so far.
I use the race ramps at the bottom of the ramp door. I didn't need them on my open tilt trailer. They're the RR-TR-5. 67" long and 5" high with a 4 degree incline.

I winched on the open trailer but used straps on the front LCAs since I didn't have the tow ring yet, but used my tow ring to winch onto the enclosed when my slave cylinder failed.

On the open trailer I had the fenders built low enough to clear the door. On the closed trailer I drive it on and Dukes of Hazzard out the window.

I sold my open trailer when I got the enclosed so same reason. Makes sense.

Is the tire rack also a rock shield? The rock shield on my open trailer would get pretty peppered with chips.....would have been the front of my cars otherwise. If it doesn't have one you'll wish it did.

Sesshomurai

cloud9 said:
Is the tire rack also a rock shield? The rock shield on my open trailer would get pretty peppered with chips.....would have been the front of my cars otherwise. If it doesn't have one you'll wish it did.

Are the rocks getting kicked up from the tow vehicle I take it? Yeah, that's a good point. He did say there is a rather large "box" welded to the front, so maybe that will serve two purposes. I'll take pictures Saturday and post them and see what you guys think, if I don't buy it on the spot.

He did say it needs fresh paint. Not sure if that's a DIY thing or not. I'd expect to put high-grade gloss automotive paint on it or something similar. To resist the elements. Probably need a paint shop to do that.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
I have a large too box in front if mine. Some have full diamond plate shields.

As for the paint, most guys I know with steel trailers get a wire brush a can of rustoleum primer and some rustoleum black. Spending $ on a pro job, especially on the undercarriage, may be a money pit ;D

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Keep the tips coming, I will be looking for an enclosed trailer in a few months.

In the meantime--here is a (enclosed) trailer tech thread that is worth reading: http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23924

darreng505 said:
Are the rocks getting kicked up from the tow vehicle I take it? Yeah, that's a good point. He did say there is a rather large "box" welded to the front, so maybe that will serve two purposes. I'll take pictures Saturday and post them and see what you guys think, if I don't buy it on the spot.

He did say it needs fresh paint. Not sure if that's a DIY thing or not. I'd expect to put high-grade gloss automotive paint on it or something similar. To resist the elements. Probably need a paint shop to do that.
Yes they get kicked up by the tow vehicle and absolutely hail the rock shield so would imagine it would do the same to the car.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The other thing to look for in an open trailer is to try and get one with a 4' beavertail instead of the 2' version. A 4' beavertail makes it easier to load a low to the ground car like the boss. 18' long is a plus too. 16' is really too short.

06mach1 said:
The other thing to look for in an open trailer is to try and get one with a 4' beavertail instead of the 2' version. A 4' beavertail makes it easier to load a low to the ground car like the boss. 18' long is a plus too. 16' is really too short.
I agree a 16' would definitely be too short. My old trailer above is 20' long with a 5' beaver tail and like I mentioned still rubbed the splitter.

Sesshomurai

Yeah, I thought 19' was minimum too with 4' beaver.

Here are the pics. He's asking $2400
trailer1.jpg

trailer2.jpg

trailer3.jpg

But I'm leaning towards my original plan of this for $3000 ($3950 with winch):
596.jpg

What do you guys think?

Sesshomurai

cloud9 said:
$950 for a winch is pretty steep.....I paid $500. You would still want a rock shield on the bottom one.

I think its a 6000lb winch (which I don't really need). But is that rusty used trailer worth $2k? It looks too short as his car is hanging off the rear...

TMO Supporting Vendors