The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Trailering the Boss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
For those of you who trailer your Boss to the track, where do you place the front set of tie downs? I used the axles on the back two and placed the front thru the spokes of the wheels, but I'm concerned that might hurt the wheels.

Thanks!

Derek

Wont hurt the wheels, but could mess with your alignment, or in the extreme, bend something.

I'll leave it up to others to comment on precise spots on a Mustang, but as a general principle, its always best to tie it down by the chassis, rather than the suspension, so that the car moves less on its suspension during transit.

TMSBOSS said:
Rear, straps around the axel.

Front. Straps through LCAs

+1, I use an X configuration using the rear axle and then use the lower control arms for the front. Make sure you go under the tie rod/steering rod and not over it when you placing your straps around the front LCA.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
T-hooks into the frame rails up front and wheel straps on the rear. Both ends are crossed due to the lowered ride height on my car.

PeteInCT said:
Through wheels, front and rear, X config on both. Never had any issues with alignment.

I too use the front wheels criss crossed , on the rear I installed the Ford Racing Tie down brackets to the lower control arms and work fine criss crossed. Remember to keep the trans. out of gear. Do not used the front toe hook it puts the srings under load. The tee hooks work great but are a pain for me due to room. Good luck

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
You do not want to tie down in the chassis!!!

Always tie to an UNSPRUNG part of the car. If you attach to a sprung part(such as the chassis), when the trailer goes over bumps, it compresses the suspension, which loosens the straps. Constantly doing this will make the straps or ratchets fail. A lot of suspension compression can actually release the hook from whatever it is attached to and by by car!

The only safe place to strap onto the front is through the wheels. The axle is a suitable location for the rear.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I saw this today and thought of this thread. This is how Porsche ships their factory racers. Anyways just another data point. These are screw-on rungs for the centerlock wheels.

1384160_10151973929917597_1328459430_n.jpg

ArizonaGT said:
I saw this today and thought of this thread. This is how Porsche ships their factory racers. Anyways just another data point. These are screw-on rungs for the centerlock wheels.

1384160_10151973929917597_1328459430_n.jpg

I guess this says it all. Pufferfish is correct on the correect way to tie down with out the un sprung weight.

TMO Supporting Vendors