The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Trailers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sesshomurai

Hi,
I'm looking for a good car trailer (open, not closed). Preferably black and with a wheel rack and tool box.
I tried g**gling around for some, but didn't find any good ones.

Know of any? or good links please?

thanks.
D

Sesshomurai

CaliMR said:
Does it have to be new? You can check out the local drag racing forums, sometimes they have good used ones for cheap

Used is fine!

Sesshomurai

It was buried, but I eventually found this, in case others are looking.

http://www.traileroutlet.com/htdocs/index.htm

Did you try Craigslist? There are sites that compile CL from whole regions, which can help for stuff like this. But I still think the local racing forums are a good place to try, I have found good trailers that way.

darreng505 said:
Hi,
I'm looking for a good car trailer (open, not closed). Preferably black and with a wheel rack and tool box.
I tried g**gling around for some, but didn't find any good ones.

Know of any? or good links please?

thanks.
D
Where are you located? I have an open trailer with a tire rack and storage compartment that I will be putting up for sale in October. I am in NY.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Yes, but thankfully the doors still clear even with the slight lowering of the car. If I go to the 302S suspension then I'm not so sure, I think I have just about 1" clearance now. As it is the car is so low that I need the 4" high Race Ramps to get her on even though it's a tilt trailer ;D

It has torsen suspension, LED lights, breakway box, full spare, front diamond plate mechanics box, ect. All said and done with tax it's about $8K. Not cheap by any means but it's a good unit and a workhorse. My 5.3L Silverado pulls this, the Boss and a full sized bed of tires/tools with little problem. You can save a good $3K or more if you go with steel but you'll be wire brushing and painting it almost every season, they depeciate quickly, and they are a lot heavier - so much so I probably would have to moved up to a 2500HD or a F-250 with a 6+ liter engine. Those trucks are significantly more $$$ and their gas mileage stinks. With my Silverado I can get 18 to 20 MPG at 65 - 70 MPH cruising with no tow weight.

I would put the Aluma units in the same class as a Featherlight as far as quality is concerned. With Featherlight's you pay a premium for the name but you also get access to (expensive) options like tire rack, front protective air dam that Aluma does not offer. My view was that if I needed any of that I could have them made custom for the same price Featherlight wanted. I am also unsure if Featherlight makes a tilt model like this, I don't believe so.

Sesshomurai

PeteInCT said:
If you want to go new I'd recommend mine, an Aluma 8220 Tilt trailer. It's built like a tank (large wheels/tires, 4500 lb axles, 7500 lb load rating) and is fairly light since it's all aluminum. Costs more than steel but lasts forever.

http://s1093.photobucket.com/albums/i432/pdesisto/Aluma%20Trailer/

I like that. It's nice. I found one for sale in Ohio. NOT CHEAP! Close to 10k.

What is the lowest tilt incline? Can it load a lowered boss with a splitter? (which I'm guessing requires less than 10 degree incline?)

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
If it's an 8220 ALUMA then $10K is highly overpriced, shop around. My unit was $7200 + about $285 for the spare mount/wheel/tire + $250 for the front mounted tool box. Check out http://www.thetrailerdepot.com/ , ask for Bobby Fantarella. They probably can sell it to you for a good price and have it dropped shipped to you for well under $10K. Since they are made in the Midwest I believe you may be able to purchase and pick it up directly based on where they have distribution points.

I don't know how many degrees the tilt is but you do need additional ramps if you are using the LS splitter. You may not need them if you have the stock splitter. I use these, they are very light and can be easily tied down to the front of the trailer with bungee cords (or whatever):

http://www.raceramps.com/trailer-ramps-5.aspx

Sesshomurai

Yeah, I got the race ramps with extenders. Got them even before the car! lol Thanks for the tips. I'll check them out.

TMO Supporting Vendors