The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Trailing Arm vs. Control Arm?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sesshomurai

What's the difference between a rear "trailing arm" and rear "control arm"? Are they the same thing? What do they do exactly?
I think I understand what the control arm is for.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
darreng505 said:
What's the difference between a rear "trailing arm" and rear "control arm"? Are they the same thing? What do they do exactly?
I think I understand what the control arm is for.

Same thing.

Upper and Lower control arms are used to secure the rear diff front to rear. PanHard Bar secures Diff side to side

Most folks work with the lower control arms when swapping things out. Easier to work on and usually beneficial when swapped out. Some also swap out/modify uppers.

Sesshomurai

Thanks. I notice on the boss' rear lower control arm, there's a brake line passing through it? ebrake maybe?

Is that hard or involved to remove?

EDIT: I found this[1].

[1] http://www.stangnet.com/2007/03/12/s197-ford-mustang-lower-control-arm-install/

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
TMSBOSS said:
Removing the E Brake cable is easy.

Remove the wheel, retract the cable housing, pull the cablethrough the slot in the cable housing bracket, turn and remove the cable end from brake.
thats the hard way to do it. with wheel on from behind remove retaining clip, pull down on cable and pull out of the slot. this will free up the end that pulls and slips right out. install in reverse order.

TMO Supporting Vendors