The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tramlining - is it a rear suspension setup issue?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In the V6L
So, in this post in another thread (https://trackmustangsonline.com/thr...for-all-four-corners.14551/page-2#post-221290) I laid out my tire plans for this year. I had some old, half-done 285/35 Trofeo R's to run to EOL and then a strategy to get to a 305 square setup that I could stick with long term.

Phase 1 of the plan had me running the Pirelli Trofeo R 285/35's up front paired with Trofeo R 325/30's in the rear. I know it sounds wacky, but it turns out that for some reason Pirelli made the 285 the same tread and carcass width as a 305. If it was properly marked, it would be a 305/33. The 325/30's are the same rolling radius as the 285's, so they're out back to keep the car level.

Anyway, one of the things I really liked about the Trofeo R's front and rear was that they didn't tramline. They were great for the run to and back from the track, as well as on the track.

So, the 285's are worn out now, and I've put a pair of near-new 315/30 MPSC2's on the front, keeping the 325/30 Trofeo R's out back. I'll run this combo until the rears are worn out.

The thing is, there's still no tramlining now that I've got MPSC2's up front. PSC2's are famous (with good reason) for tramlining on the GT350. But, I did about 20 miles on the highway yesterday and that much again on secondary roads and not a twitch.

I'm wondering if the tramlining that the GT350/MPSC2 combo is famous for is actually caused by the rear end setup and not the front. Does anyone have any insight into this?

DFW, TX
My GT350 when using Michelin PSS or SC2s tramlines when running track alignment with about 3 degrees front camber and about 1.5 camber out back. Going to stock camber on the front removed all tramlining. The slight toe out went to slight toe in at the same time. The rear settings were never changed.

Soft side wall tires help moderate things as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

In the V6L
I am running track settings of -2.25 front and -1.1 rear camber. Front toe is zero and rear is 0.3 degrees. These are the kinds of settings that should tramline, and did with vigor when I last ran MPSC2's front and rear.

That's why I'm so surprised.

TMO Supporting Vendors