The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tranny noise ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

You can only hear it at slower speeds, even when at a stop when just changing gears. But it's a sound out the back of the car. Do others have this? Is it normal? It must be the tranny right?

So it clunks when you put it in gear and release the clutch? Soft bushings in the rear end iirc is the reason, people have talked about it here. If you are super smooth you might be able to avoid it.

If it is clunking while shifting (rather than when releasing the clutch) then I don't know.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
I had noticed low speed clunking shifting gears and replacing the 2 piece stock drive shaft with a DSS Aluminum Shaft solved my problem. YMMV.

byronj said:
I have noticed a whine nosie from my rear end when I turn. Hav anyone notcied that?
Yep it's normal with the Torsen at low speeds and tight turns.

byronj said:
5 DOT 0 said:
byronj said:
I have noticed a whine nosie from my rear end when I turn. Hav anyone notcied that?
Yep it's normal with the Torsen at low speeds and tight turns.

I dont have the Torsen but it is only at low speeds and in tight turns. Thanks for the info. I fell much better now
They pulled a lot of the insulation out of the Boss to lighten it. It was part of the Boss program. As such, you'll hear a lot of the rear end noise that would otherwise go unnoticed in a GT. You'll also hear your "floating" rear caliper/pads rubbing against your rotors if you listen carefully ;)

That is the rears? I thought it sounded like the front, it is really darn loud. One of the track pads in my old car would do the same squeally/reciprocating/twinkling noise and it drives me nuts. That car had Brembo style calipers all around. Any ideas on a fix? Adding lube to the sliders didn't work on that car, I just swapped the pads out every track day so I didn't hear it on the street.

Also I noticed the rear end whine for the first time riding in the car, my gf left the passenger seat leaned back and I could hear it because my head was so far back. If I set the seats upright they block the noise from coming up front.

CaliMR said:
That is the rears? I thought it sounded like the front, it is really darn loud. One of the track pads in my old car would do the same squeally/reciprocating/twinkling noise and it drives me nuts. That car had Brembo style calipers all around. Any ideas on a fix? Adding lube to the sliders didn't work on that car, I just swapped the pads out every track day so I didn't hear it on the street.

Also I noticed the rear end whine for the first time riding in the car, my gf left the passenger seat leaned back and I could hear it because my head was so far back. If I set the seats upright they block the noise from coming up front.
Put your back seats down into cargo mode and you'll really hear it then ;)

TMO Supporting Vendors