The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Trans Cooler on lowered spings

Sesshomurai

Anyone running the trans cooler and lowered springs? I'm about to drop the car 1.8-2.1 inches with the eibach sportline springs.
Wondering if the trans cooler could be at risk underneath on the track.
 

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
I'm at 27.5" ride height (ground to fender) and haven't ripped it off yet coming in and out of my driveway. Splitter and mufflers are a different story :(
 

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Moderator
3,811
1,391
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Darren
My car is dropped 1" and I dragged it on the carousel at Summit Shenedoah one lap when I got high on the banking. Just a little scrape and that is the only place it's happened. 2" is a lot of drop, make sure your spring rates are high enough that you don't bottom out on the bump stops. Very unsettling to the car when the suspension goes solid.
Steve
 
JScheier said:
I'm at 27.5" ride height (ground to fender) and haven't ripped it off yet coming in and out of my driveway. Splitter and mufflers are a different story :(
The mufflers? ???
 

Sesshomurai

steveespo said:
Darren
My car is dropped 1" and I dragged it on the carousel at Summit Shenedoah one lap when I got high on the banking. Just a little scrape and that is the only place it's happened. 2" is a lot of drop, make sure your spring rates are high enough that you don't bottom out on the bump stops. Very unsettling to the car when the suspension goes solid.
Steve

Steve,
Thanks for the tip. I'm hoping the drop won't be the full 2" but now need to consider the tradeoffs between track elevation, transcooler and the better handling of these springs...they're supposed to be stiffer to compensate and come with trimmed bump stops.

Any idea where your trans cooler sits off the pavement? I assume the trans cooler is the lowest point on the car?

Darren

http://www.autoanything.com/suspension-systems/61A2619A0A0.aspx

EDIT: Ok, the site gives some details for the boss.

Front Drop: 1.0"
Rear drop: 1.8"
 

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Moderator
8,627
2,555
Arizona, USA
Car is an inch lower in the front and 1.5 lower in the rear, I pulled the scoop off to make sure the prolific speedbumps here in AZ don't destroy it. I will put it back on at the track when the car is in the air for swapping wheels/tires.
 

Sesshomurai

ArizonaGT said:
Car is an inch lower in the front and 1.5 lower in the rear, I pulled the scoop off to make sure the prolific speedbumps here in AZ don't destroy it. I will put it back on at the track when the car is in the air for swapping wheels/tires.

How does it handle vs. the stock height? Did you have to add any additional components like adj. sway bars, panhard bar, etc?
 

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Moderator
8,627
2,555
Arizona, USA
darreng505 said:
How does it handle vs. the stock height? Did you have to add any additional components like adj. sway bars, panhard bar, etc?

I've only had a chance to test the street manners so far, the handling is very solid, feels improved over stock. Unfortunately (and predictably), the ride quality is degraded, but I can live with it.

Already had adjustable rear swaybar from Strano, and I did add a J&M adjustable PHB to re-center the rear. I have LCA relo brackets sitting in a box waiting for a set of FRPP LCAs to come in from CJPP.

I will test out the track handling this weekend and report back (but probably not in this thread as we are now veering off-topic!).
 

Sesshomurai

ArizonaGT said:
darreng505 said:
How does it handle vs. the stock height? Did you have to add any additional components like adj. sway bars, panhard bar, etc?

I've only had a chance to test the street manners so far, the handling is very solid, feels improved over stock. Unfortunately (and predictably), the ride quality is degraded, but I can live with it.

Already had adjustable rear swaybar from Strano, and I did add a J&M adjustable PHB to re-center the rear. I have LCA relo brackets sitting in a box waiting for a set of FRPP LCAs to come in from CJPP.

I will test out the track handling this weekend and report back (but probably not in this thread as we are now veering off-topic!).

Cool. Look forward. Going through this mod process now.
 
darreng505 said:
ArizonaGT said:
darreng505 said:
How does it handle vs. the stock height? Did you have to add any additional components like adj. sway bars, panhard bar, etc?

I've only had a chance to test the street manners so far, the handling is very solid, feels improved over stock. Unfortunately (and predictably), the ride quality is degraded, but I can live with it.

Already had adjustable rear swaybar from Strano, and I did add a J&M adjustable PHB to re-center the rear. I have LCA relo brackets sitting in a box waiting for a set of FRPP LCAs to come in from CJPP.

I will test out the track handling this weekend and report back (but probably not in this thread as we are now veering off-topic!).

Cool. Look forward. Going through this mod process now.

pics when completed please! planning on purchasing a set of sportlines also.
 

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Moderator
2,848
14
Connecticut
If you look at the level of the cooler vs. the oil pan in front of it, it's not that much lower. I'd guess that you would have a problem with the front splitter even before the tranny cooler, except for speed bumps. Even with my slightly lowered LS (18" wheels and 35 series front tires) I need to go over almost all speed bumps at 2 MPH....
 

Sesshomurai

BIGbossSID said:
darreng505 said:
ArizonaGT said:
darreng505 said:
How does it handle vs. the stock height? Did you have to add any additional components like adj. sway bars, panhard bar, etc?

I've only had a chance to test the street manners so far, the handling is very solid, feels improved over stock. Unfortunately (and predictably), the ride quality is degraded, but I can live with it.

Already had adjustable rear swaybar from Strano, and I did add a J&M adjustable PHB to re-center the rear. I have LCA relo brackets sitting in a box waiting for a set of FRPP LCAs to come in from CJPP.

I will test out the track handling this weekend and report back (but probably not in this thread as we are now veering off-topic!).

Cool. Look forward. Going through this mod process now.

pics when completed please! planning on purchasing a set of sportlines also.

My appointment at the pro shop for this mod (just outside my skills at the moment) is next Monday. In addition to the sportlines, I'm adding the MM camber plates, steeda heavy duty strut top mounts and steeda racing spring plates. If the camber plates arrive before then, I should have pics of the finished job next Tuesday.
 

Sesshomurai

BIGbossSID said:
darreng505 said:
ArizonaGT said:
darreng505 said:
How does it handle vs. the stock height? Did you have to add any additional components like adj. sway bars, panhard bar, etc?

I've only had a chance to test the street manners so far, the handling is very solid, feels improved over stock. Unfortunately (and predictably), the ride quality is degraded, but I can live with it.

Already had adjustable rear swaybar from Strano, and I did add a J&M adjustable PHB to re-center the rear. I have LCA relo brackets sitting in a box waiting for a set of FRPP LCAs to come in from CJPP.

I will test out the track handling this weekend and report back (but probably not in this thread as we are now veering off-topic!).

Cool. Look forward. Going through this mod process now.

pics when completed please! planning on purchasing a set of sportlines also.

Ok, I promised to post pics of my boss on the eibach sportlines.

Before
rims1.jpg


After
after1.jpg


Handles way better. Little to no body roll, but this is just spirited driving. Not tracked yet. Oct 6-7.
 

Sesshomurai

I think its about 1.2" in the front 1.8" in the back or so. I did this mod to improve cornering on track. In my road tests it does handle much better, for the usual tradeoffs.
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel
Top