The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Trans leaking oil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSwede said:
What´s your verdict?
You have a leak. ;)

Your engine and trans are still under warranty so let your dealer figure it out.

The Mustang's not sold in Sweden, it's an import. It's near impossible to claim warranty, unfortunately.

Hah, getting Switzerland and Sweden mixed up is a classic :)
I wish I could call a dealer and let loose, but this is the price of driving a unique car...

I wonder if the cold could be causing it - either by shrinking gaskets/seals or by making the transmission oil too viscous...

Any help is appreciated!

/Swede

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
This may be helpful.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=8867.msg129222#msg129222

http://www.boss302forum.com/topic/15254-oil-leak/?hl=%2Btransmission+%2Bleak#entry280347

A problem with the vent check valve sticking open.

I looked for the mentioned TSB but could not find it. Sorry. I checked Lethal Performance site, they list TSBs and recalls, nothing.

The good news is that it appears to be a vent issue. Bad news is that it is on top of the trans. ;D

Thanks a lot!

Looks like it might be it. I wiped off the bottom of the tranny and the crossbar and placed a tray under the car - and no more leakage since. Will wait and see if it happens again.

If I decide tog get it fixed I might as well change the OEM clutch. Any ideas of what clutch to choose instead? I DD and track the car.

/Swede

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Hi Swede:

Two things, first is transmission leak. Looked at your pics and it looks very similar to mine and it was as mentioned above, a trans vent valve and tube assembly, and as it's located at the top of the trans, it has to come down to replace it. As for clutches, the McLeod RST (twin disc), is a popular choice on this site, and I like the SPEC Stage 3 Plus (single disc), as well. You can check them yourself.

Oh yes, one other point on the leak. In my case it was leaking down both sides of the transmission.

Second, I see you mentioned something like " Garaged for 2 months, but started it 3 times", [sic], if this is true, you should know this is not a good practice. Your engine oil only comes up to proper operating temp when engines are under load conditions, (e.g. Driving the car). Otherwise, you will develop condensation in your engine and it's not good for storage conditions. Pull your oil fill cap on the r/side coil cover and look to see if condensation is found on the underside of the cap. Better to disconnect the battery and just let it sit, then use a battery charger when your ready.

Good luck over there,
Dave
2HP

302 Hi Pro said:
As for clutches, the McLeod RST (twin disc), is a popular choice on this site, and I like the SPEC Stage 3 Plus (single disc), as well. You can check them yourself.

Stage three has enormous amounts of grip and clamping pressure. I opted for the stage 2+ because I am staying N.A. and the 2+ is already beyond capable of handling 600+ ft-lbs. I have slipped it, smashed it, tried to burn it, etc.. and its held up again and again. get the light billet aluminum pressure plate option and the aluminum flywheel for super low inertia it will be softer on your trans.

Did anyone find the TSB on the vent tube issue? I just had my trans down and should have looked at that! Good luck Swede.

Thanks for all the help and best wishes, guys. As soon as the snow melts :eek:, I'll drive over to a friend's garage where I can lift the car and check if it's the vent valve acting up. If anybody finds the TSB, it would be very helpful!

Dave, I am actually in the final stages of building the garage which is why I have to move the car sometimes. I know it's not recommended, but I usually let it run until it's warm. I will check the oil fill cap, though!

Twistedneck, is this the clutch you're referring to? http://www.stage3motorsports.com/SF503H-9-2011-2014-Mustang-GT-Boss-Spec-Stage-2+-Clutch-Kit.html

Thanks/Swede

I had the same issue with my boss. I ended up putting a vent overflow tank on the car and mounted it inside the right front fender behind the fender liner.
As for a clutch the Exedy Hypersingle is the best clutch on the market.

Memmer said:
As for a clutch the Exedy Hypersingle is the best clutch on the market.

Do you have a Exedy part number for the MT-82 transmission? Just wondering because the 2015 Exedy catalog does not show a Hypersingle clutch application for the 2011+ Mustang 5.0

But then again, the current Mcleod catalog doesn't list the RST twin disc clutch for the 2011+ Mustang 5.0 either.

I believe the Hyper Single only comes in a 26 spline input shaft variety. There is a Hyper double disc clutch setup that fits the MT-82 input shaft. I think it is 31 spline if my memory is correct.

They just came out with the hyper single for the MT-82. I will have to call a friend who works for exedy and get the part number Monday.

wwilde001 said:
I believe the Hyper Single only comes in a 26 spline input shaft variety. There is a Hyper double disc clutch setup that fits the MT-82 input shaft. I think it is 31 spline if my memory is correct.
That's why I have the twin disc. Wish the single would have been available when I swapped two years ago. The twin disc is like a light switch which makes for interesting driving in stop and go traffic! :D

Memmer said:
They just came out with the hyper single for the MT-82. I will have to call a friend who works for exedy and get the part number Monday.
Talk about late to the party! When I put the car together almost two years ago I asked Exedy why they didn't have one for our cars. They said they didn't have the demand. I ended up going with the Magnum XL tranny with the Hyper Single.

wwilde001 said:
Talk about late to the party! When I put the car together almost two years ago I asked Exedy why they didn't have one for our cars. They said they didn't have the demand. I ended up going with the Magnum XL tranny with the Hyper Single.
I'm guessing once people figured out it was the stock clutch hanging up and taking out the trans and not the trans itself, demand for after-market clutches for the MT-82 went through the roof.

At the time, I was thinking, how hard would it be to put a new center hub in the clutch disk to accommodate the MT-82 input shaft. I know I might be simplifying things, but really?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Trans vent tube stuck open or leaking input shaft seal (long shot).

If you have the trans out, might as well replace the slave cylinder as well...and get a new clutch as others have suggested. Also the PERFECT time to do the CJ Pulse Ring mod.

cloud9 said:
I'm guessing once people figured out it was the stock clutch hanging up and taking out the trans and not the trans itself, demand for after-market clutches for the MT-82 went through the roof.
I think we figured that out here first. ;) My twin Disc McLeod RXT has gotten a lot easier to engage over the past two years but it's still not as easy as the stock clutch.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel