The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Trans overflow / breather can

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Has anyone put a brether can on their transmission? I was thinking about running a 10 or 12 AN hose to the engine bay and mounting a can. Any reason why this would be a bad idea? I was thinking it would be beneficial like adding a rear diff breather, as well as make filling much easier when changing fluid.

Thoughts?

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
KBBOSS1086 said:
Has anyone put a brether can on their transmission? I was thinking about running a 10 or 12 AN hose to the engine bay and mounting a can. Any reason why this would be a bad idea? I was thinking it would be beneficial like adding a rear diff breather, as well as make filling much easier when changing fluid.

Thoughts?

I have read somewhere that folks add a line from the trans to the firewall with or without a breather. This allows fluids to drain back to the trans, much like a diff can.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
This would be a nice addition when you have the MT-82 out for a clutch assembly replacement, as the vent valve and tube is located on the top of the transmission and can not be accessed with out removal.

If you used a bottom feed can with top breather set up, oil would also drain back to the transmission if it was routed correctly.

Dave
302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
steveespo said:
You can get to the trans vent tube by pulling the Intake manifold. I have been looking at it for 2 weeks.
Steve

Wish my Ford Dealer Master Tech knew that before he pulled the unit to replace my vent valve and tube. It was smashed and caused a trans leak when parked in the garage.

Good to know, thanks.
Dave

TMO Supporting Vendors