The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Trans Ratios - - - Again

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi all,

I'm posting this here for a hopefully larger viewing and response. I have about –3,200 miles on my Boss now, and I'm still very happy with it. The only thing I would like to change, and there seems no easy way to do so at this point, is the first and sixth gear ratios.

Gears 2-5 are almost a perfect match up to my 70's era Borg Warner Super T-10, which was a really great gear ratio package....minus an overdrive final ratio. That tranny was used in a '65 Mustang that had NO WAY near the HP and TQ that our Bosses make, yet it left the line just fine with it's 2.43 first gear ratio and a 3.89 rear. The 69/70 Bosses mostly used a 2.36 1st and a 3.91 rear. And don't forget the standard M-21 and M-22 Muncie transmissions in the 68- 69 Z-28's. Those trannies most often ran the same 3.73 rear end ratio we have, and a 2.20 first gear ratio. I never noticed a huge disadvantage with those cars, which in stock form, still made less HP and TQ than the current Boss.

It may be the difference in how the current Boss motor delivers it's power, 4-cam, higher end HP/TQ delivery, etc., but still I would really LOVE to see a first gear for our trans that is in the area of about 2.80 instead of 3.66, and a shorter sixth gear of about .80. I know I could change out to a Tremec, but none of them really have the ratios I want, so I would be buying an expensive trans swap that STILL did not have the ratios I want. I would buy a Richmond 6-speed in a second, if they made one that would fit our motors (they don't, and told me they probably won't).

I often don't use first, because I feel it is just too short. I'm using 2nd - 5th for about 95% of my around town driving. I am strictly a street driver, and this Boss will never see the race track. But I really would love to shorten out the 1-2 spread and the 5-6 spread on the shifting. I have read many posts here and on some other sites complaining about the usability of our 1st and 6th gear on the track also.

I guess I'm just hoping that someone out there in the aftermarket world would make some upgraded internal parts to strengthen up some of the known weaker areas of our transmissions, and a new 1st and 6th gear also. I have not had any problems with my trans....yet...and hope I don't. It does seem to shift smoother when it's warm. I have removed the clutch assist spring, and I like the feel much better...It almost feels like a "normal" clutch again.

Anyway, I'm just hoping to find someone out there that sees a pretty good market for such parts. I've checked a few sites that claim to do upgrades to these trannies, but have not found one that offers a gearing change. I guess I can just drop in 4.11 rear gears and live with that, but I sure would like to keep the 3.73's and have a closer 1st and 6th. I have a 6 speed, that to me, is really only a 4 speed, except for longer freeway trips.

Does anyone know of a custom gear grinder that might try this? I'm interested in hearing feedback from the members. Maybe I'm just too old school in my thoughts...

Take care, and TIA,

JJ

Here's what I did with mine. I purchased the close ratio Tremec Magnum XL from Liberty Gears out of Michigan and had them swap the overdrive cluster with a wide ratio gear set. Gears are as follows: 2.66, 1.78, 1.30, 1.00, .80, .63
I then swapped out to a 4.10 rear gear.

This was the best solution at the time giving me what I wanted to track the car.
Hope this helps.

If you're set on keeping your stock transmission, I would try to get in touch with some of the MT-82 rebuilders (Liberty and Rev Auto are the only ones I know of in the US) to see if they can help.

One possibility may be to see if the .70 sixth gear from the V6 transmissions can be used (I know it's not the .80 you're looking for, but at least it's a step in the right direction).

Another possibility is to look into the other MT-82 variants used in other applications to see if any of those parts can be fitted to your transmission. IIRC, different versions of the MT-82 have been used in some Ford Transits, Ford Rangers, and Land Rover Defenders sold in other parts of the world. Maybe try to get in touch with some of the overseas MT-82 rebuilders (I believe Ashcroft in the UK is one) to see if they can help.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance, but if you find out anything please let us know.

Thanks for the replies.....

I finally found a company that MAY be able to help...It is: www.rsgear.com

They offer several transmissions that may well fit the bill for me. I will be calling them on Monday to discuss the options and fitments. With one of these, that are alleged to handle a ton more power than our stock motors make, I will be able to run the exact rear ration I want and still have a full 6 speed close ratio gearbox.

Now it's just the factor of cost. But since I plan on keeping this car till I die....I can't complain too much to get it the exact way I want it. Take care,

JJ

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel