The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Transformation of Sweet Lorraine Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
As I was doing some winter cleaning of the documentation of all the mods I have done to my 2012 Kona Blue Boss 302, I started compiling a second binder of pictorial mods I made on my Sweet Lorraine. She's a Show and Go car that has seem quite a transformation over the years. Now I know it's not a full blown race car build but now I'm toying with the thought of sharing how she went from OEM to the beauty she is today. So it will take some tyme but if you folks are interested, I would love to show how she got from here to there. This wouldn't be instructional whatsoever but rather a story-line of her transformation.

Subscribed and looking forward to the updates.

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Thanks Gents.

A bit of the backstory. My first three cars were 1969 Sportsroof Mustangs. The first two were blue but I don't recall the actual colors. The third was special, it was a Acapulco Blue Boss 302 that I purchased used at the end of 1974. I won't tell you all the things I did in that car but it was certainly my pride and joy, cruising around those Jersey streets and occasionally running the quarter mile in Englishtown Raceway Park. Me and my girlfriend Lorraine had many great memories in that Boss and I named the car "Sweet Lorraine" (There was a really bad Uriah Heep song with the same title that we used to party to)

When I moved to Detroit in February of 1982, I was given a company car, a station wagon and left the Boss in the driveway at home, hoping to pick it up later that summer and bring it to Michigan. I had drained all the fluids but when I returned to get the car, I put the fluids back in but she leaked badly from somewhere under the block. I was devastated and too dumb to know what I really had, so I sold it to a friend who later painted it pearl white and gave it to his wife. (WTF?) Later, I found out it was just two freeze out plugs that popped and I felt like an idiot. A few years later I learned that the car was sold to Joie Chitwood and used in his stunt shows. Not really sure what happened to that Boss since then but I moved on with my life and didn't own another Mustang until the one I ordered from Ford in March of 2011.

These are the only two surviving pictures I have of the original Sweet Lorraine
1969 Boss II.jpg1969 Boss.jpg

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
No sir. First wife was Marjorie and the second and current one is Britt. I did run into Lorraine in San Diego just prior to buying my 2012 and despite the look on my wife's face when I called the new Boss "Sweet Lorraine", she understood the reasoning behind it. She used to my quirkiness, after all she's been married to me since September of 2002.

(And Bill, just because I know you're wondering if I relived those old Boss glory days in San Diego, the answer is no)

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Actually , even though I was not listening well ( so could not remember your wife's name) , I did recall you thought you current wife was a keeper and understood all your racing quirks and eccentricities. So , since you and I both realize we have very understanding and special women in our lives , I never once thought about a likely tryst with Lorraine. In fact I personally like the name Britt a lot better than Lorraine, and maybe you should just change the name to Britt's Blue Bombshell, or the Britt Boss , either is more appropriate for the lovely lady that doesn't complain when you buy tires, and rims, and brake pads, and rotors, and.......

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Oh she complains alright, she's just one tolerant woman. That alone makes her precious in my eyes...

I meed to correct myself already! There was a 64-1/2 Mustang in my life between Bosses. It had been in an accident and I actually won it in a poker game. I was going to try and fix it but the frame was twisted and I ended up giving it away to a neighbor.

Anyway, my second wife and I were blessed with our first and only child when I was 48 and she was 47. She knew at the tyme that I had a goal of buying a Harley and letting my hair grow long when I turned fifty at which point she told me, "No way in hell are you letting me raise this child on my own!" No two wheeler for me.

When I heard they were coming out with a new Boss, I was giddy and just had to have one. My bride supported me wholeheartedly in this endeavor. In March of 2011, after visiting a bunch of dealership looking for someone with an allocation, I found I could order one from Big Mike Naughton Ford in Aurora, Colorado. I ran, yeah ran to get them my deposit and would wait nine months before I could get my Boss. I ordered Kona Blue because it was the closet to Acapulco Blue as possible. I can't tell you why I ordered it without the Recaro or Torsen, but I did. Finally, just before Christmas of 2011, the car arrived and you never saw a happier old man than me. I was back in a Boss again after nearly 33 years, I rediscovered the true joy of an American Muscle classic, albeit a late model version.

Here's a picture of me seeing my "Sweet Lorraine" the very first tyme
Exterior Body (1).jpg

Ignore that fat old man standing next to that awesome ride!

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I told Britt you wrote that and even though she never met you, she loves you. Did I mention she hadn't met you yet?

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Well bring her to the Mustang Roundup this year? She is from Nebraska , so we know she has to be beautiful - it is a given!

Just telling ya......................especially because Lorraine sounds like it should go with a 64 slammed Chebby ! Yep, Lorraine the LoRider , Britt just goes so much better with a Blue Boss!

Last edited:

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Although my car was delivered to the dealer before Christmas and I went to see it, I did not take it home with me that day. The only option I got on the car was the car cover and mats. This was one of 43 ordered like this in Kona Blue. But as I was talking to the dealer, he told me about a few other options for the car that weren't offered by Ford but he could add on to Sweet Lorraine. The car had not yet seen my garage and the modding began.

The first thing I ordered was the LS Spoiler (AR3Z-6344210-CA) and had them paint it Kona Blue and install it. At the tyme, I was thinking strictly show car and loved the look of the pedestal type spoiler over the OEM look.
Exterior Body (23).JPG

While they were at it, I had them paint and install Side Scoops (AR3Z-63279D37-AA Left and AR3Z-63279D37-BA Right)
Exterior Body (22).JPG

and window louvers (AR3Z-63280B10-AA Right and AR3Z-63280B10-BA Left)
Exterior Body (29).JPG

I also went with a GT style decklid panel (AR3Z6342528F) for the rear because my brain didn't think much of the plain black panel but what they didn't do was remove the faux gas cap from the GT panel and I cringed when I saw the GT on the cap. I had them save any of the parts that had to remove for these changes and eventually put on the Boss OEM faux gas cap on the lined GT panel.
Exterior Body (24).JPG

Here's the correct faux gas cap mounted on the GT Decklid
Exterior Body (48).JPG

I was really enjoying the special look of my already customized Boss but of all these mods, the only thing on this car seven years later is the LS rear spoiler. The side scoops, quarter window louvers were sold and the GT decklid panel retired.

I had decided at this point, I would sell any aftermarket items the car didn't come with but keep all my OEM takeoff parts.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel