The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Transformation of Sweet Lorraine Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Have had a couple of friends who had issues ( one was on another vehicle ), and the feelings are off track excursions, track debris ( rocks and more ), caused failures or damage to the units. Likely not a concern for you, Coz, but something you would want to check periodically. The key is if damaged ( think cracked )you are not going to repair, you are going to replace? The aluminum shaft,in my humble opinion, has more durability.

Last edited:

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Shaving about a pound and a half in the case of the DSS aluminum vs. carbon fiber driveshaft, that allows more HP to reach the rear wheels. They say carbon fiber is safer to run because when aluminum fails it shatters whereas carbon fiber shears. The detractors seem to point out possible issues with debris damaging the driveshaft and/or delamination. It'll be just another item to check out in prepping the car each track day once I get it installed.

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
FWIW - two videos, one from my GoPro and the other from a friend from the AutoX up at the Rocky Mountain Mustang Roundup in Steamboat last weekend. One from inside and one from outside the car. I'm not an AutoX guy but I do enjoy having fun at this one event. My best tyme was 57.08 on a course that was changed quite a bit from last year. They slowed the run down by adding sharper turns and a Chicago Box near the end.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Gotta get you to come to my neck of the Woods some time , as we run the Solo Nationals site a lot, and you would be at the top of second on almost every course set up. Thanks for posting your runs, my friend.

drano38

Wayne
Looks like a good tyme. And your car sounds great, so that's worth a lot too!
Those cone workers would need to pay more attention if I drove that course . . .

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Had to work the course after my runs too and there's no doubt you really have to keep your eyes open at all tymes. Typically there are three cars on the course at the same tyme.

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
This old Raggedy Man finally got to work on Sweet Lorraine today. It's been awhile but I got tyme at the local DIY shop and got a few thing that have been pending for some tyme. I removed the OEM front sway bar end links and replaced with the BMR ELK010 kit. Beefier is an understatement and the fact they're adjustable will help me dial in the front end. I think my friends at BMR will set me up with their front sway bar soon and fill in the last missing piece to complete my BMR front end suspension. While the car was on the lift, I inspected all my other suspension components, especially was concerned about the A-arms because of issues @Mad Hatter had with his cracking but the looked great as did all the other stuff.

OEM end link unit
Suspension (151).jpg

BMR piece
Suspension (158).jpg

And I remember it took me hours, three of four hours to put in the DSS one-piece aluminum driveshaft but I must be getting good at it because the DSS carbon fiber one took less than an hour and a half. I know other's here don't care for the CF DS but I got a good deal from a TMO member and figured what the hell, let's see how it work at RA. I could always throw back on the aluminum one or any of the three OEM ones I have laying around. Good news is, on the ride home, there were no noticeable NVH and the car hummed.

Drivetrain (79).jpg

The underside of the car looks great. The bolts were tight, no visual signs of excessive wear and tear. I guess I ain't riding her hard enough. Tyme to relax, have a martini and watch the Rolex 24 hours at Daytona which I taped.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Bet you are having an Uplifted Spirits Martini , whereas I am supporting the new TMO owner's State with a Cali Cab. Of course , since Uplifted Spirits has a very strong TMO Member's imput and impact , I guess we both are helping out the Forum ..........

Nice work on Sweet Lorraine , though I still think you should rename her Beautiful Britt. It sounds so much more melodic when you say, " Blue by U in Beautiful Britt, and frankly you are driving like s........someone who was intimidated by my extreme skills due to how clean my Boss is ( less dirt means less weight) underneath.

Which BMR front control arms are you running? It’s time for me to ditch the oem arms and bushings and was considering bmr arms but heard some issues with them failing. Seems you have had good luck thus far with them

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Installed the Boss302 R/S ABS Race Module (M-2353-CA) and it took about a half hour. Drove around a bit and although there are some lights on the gauges, there is no chime so it's easy to live with.

ABS Install (18).jpg

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Got her snug as a bug as I'll be heading out to drop her off at HPR this afternoon for two track days with NASA. It's seems like it's been too long since I've done it, I'm worried I've forgotten something!IMG_0993.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors