The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Transmission - 2nd replacement

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ive owned many of Mustangs over the years and in addition to my 2013 Boss I have a 2014 GT 500. I can honestly say that this is the worst transmission Ive ever used. Despite the fact that the Boss is strictly a street / stock car, Ford is now replacing a second transmission under warranty at 24K miles.. First time, car wouldn't shift in 3 or 5th gear. After 45 days of a newly (re manufactured) transmission, now I cant shift into second gear. I know we have a poll going, but its been awhile since any one has followed it. What gives? I have my fingers crossed that they will put in a transmission that I have enough confidence in to run through the gears. I know there are upgrades (fluid, shifter, etc.) but given its a street car, in my opinion the stock transmission should function normally. Oh well. Not sure what questions or responses I am looking for. I am just venting!

Not the best trans that's for sure. The weak clutch is the root of a lot of the problems.

Blew my tranny up as well last Sunday. Completely stripped 4th gear. Thankfully Ford has been great is covering most of these, as is the case for me. Mine is being rebuilt and will have the car back this week.

Ford has yet replaced the clutch. I have always felt it was part of the problem Question, do these clutches normally engage at the floor board? Its like I all I have to do is move it an inch and it is releasing.

With the transmission repairs / replacement, for the two posters, did you replace the clutch?

I did end up replacing my clutch with an Exceedy. And yes, my clutch does release with short travel of the pedal. I like this on the track as the speed of my shfts is much faster.

I have a McLeod RXT. It's been a while and I don't remember exactly how my stock clutch engaged. The twin disc RXT engages very high up. There are still issues with the trans but my guess is half of the issues are clutch related. Basically all high RPM lockout is the clutch. On track you can get the trans out of gear but it grinds going in or won't go in at all.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
teamconn
If your clutch is enfpgaging just off the floor then it is never fully disengaging and thus wearing the synchros and killing the transmission. If you have not bring this to the service managers attention. The clutch and hydraulic throw out bearing may need to be replaced or in the odd case a 2011-early2012 trans was used without the TOB spacer as your first replacement, that would cause this issue as well.
Talk to them, they hate to listen to customers but will if you are calm and have some knowledge of how things work, which sounds like you do.
Steve

The McLeod RST/RXT clutches will engage at a higher point than the stock clutch, because of the twin disk design. The first disk actually engages only an inch, or so, above the floor. But it takes the extra travel to engage both disks and the plate between the them.

Some people don't like the high engagement, so take that into consideration as well, when choosing a clutch.

Ford has decided to replace my transmission again in lieu of repairing / rebuilding. Apparently the factory Rep is baffled as to why a newly re-manufactured transmission was faulty. The dealer is sending him the transmission so that they can take a look at it. According to the Ford Rep, for all the M-82 transmissions on the road the incidence of failure is extremely low. Peculiar, this is my 3 transmission and again its a normally driven street car.

The clutch install is complete
Mcleod RST / Flywheel
Ford TOB / Slave - seemed universally that sticking with Ford was recommended
Ford Racing- Pilot Bearing
Stainless steel braided hydraulic hose
In addition under warranty Ford Replaced the transmission

Overall the clutch / transmission feels like a completely new car. Clutch has the same feel as my 2014 GT500.

Given the fact this is my second replacement transmission under warranty, for those that have transmission problems, my strong opinion is that you have to replace the clutch. Not that I am an expert but from my experience, I believe the clutch is the contributing factor to the transmission issues. I dont care what Ford says. They have no problem replacing the transmission but ignore the clutch. In my situation, the clutch released at the floor board which I believe was a big problem in wearing out the synchronizers. Of course, what do I know. What I do know, is I am good to go now.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel