The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Transmission cooler upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looking to upgrade my transmission cooler. While running a Track Night in America at The Ridge Motorsports Part last week my transmission got too hot and the OD light started flashing. So I am looking at upgrading to a more efficient one. Any one of you that have done this I could use your input. There is not a great deal of information on this since lost no one rod races a mustang with an auto. Thanks.

In the V6L
Sounds like it's an auto tranny. It'll have the OEM heat exchanger in the radiator (I assume) and what he needs is more cooling than that. I always assumed that those kinds of "extra" transmission coolers were readily available in most auto parts

I would probably try to eliminate the integral cooler and see if there is room for one unit and maybe a small electric fan?

Two smaller ones may offer better packaging options.

Hayden is a big provider of these in the aftermarket.

The Ford parts bin has some useful stuff too like thermostats and heat exchangers on the newer 5.0 F150's transmission circuits.

Good luck

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I wouldn't eliminate the integral cooler. I'd plumb in-line after that one, and in the 'first air' stream up front. I always did that on my auto/drag racers. Put in as big a cooler (or two+) as you can fit up front. Cooler is always better with automatics. I wouldn't worry about fans on it for road course, and I'd suggest a temp gauge to monitor. Finned and extra capacity pans would also help, if available.

Good luck and looking forward to updates!

I am in fact talking about an atomatic transmission. It has one that is separate from the radiator from the factory. Apparently it is not enough so I was looking to upgrade. I was hoping not to add a second one to keep weight down.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
So it's air cooled only? I would ditch it if it's separate from the radiator, and made of steel. Aluminum ones don't weigh much. Just keep the lines as short as possible.

TMO Supporting Vendors