The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Transmission fluid service interval

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The owner's manual says to replace the transmission fluid every 150,000 miles. The Boss 302 supplement makes no mention of a different interval. What interval would the forum suggest for a DD that goes to the track 7-8 times per year? Does shift quality degrade as the fluid ages, or does the fluid work to spec until it fails?

I change it annually as well. I have never noticed a change in shifting due to fluid degradation (I thought I was once, but turned out to be clutch failure). I've been using BG synchro shift II with good results as a year round weekend car with 5-7 track weekends in the summer.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Depends on how hard you push on track but 7 days plus DD should be OK for annual change. If you do 7 weekends (14 days) then you should chage every 7 track days. Street driving does nothing to the fluid, temps rarely exceed 150 degrees, track driving at high speed and high rpm downshifting sees the temps skyrocket to 280+ degrees, this kills the fluid and puts many more contaminents in the fluid from synchro wear. I run a trans cooler setup and change every 8 hours on track.
Steve

Boss 302S recommendation is every 4 hours for both Trans & Diff Fluids. I agree with Steve, sustained hard driving raises both Diff and Trans temps. I am changing both fluids at 4-8 hour intervals based on ambient temps and session duration (30 minute sessions drive noticeably higher temps than 20 minutes).

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel