The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Transmission Issue with the Boss?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Although I have yet to take ownership of my Boss 302 (awaiting delivery), I've read disturbing threads on various Mustang forums regarding the Boss's transmission problems -- specifically notchy shifts and related issues. In fact, one thread actually stated that some dealerships were replacing the entire transmission on Boss's with "defective" transmissions. This is indeed interesting since just about everything written about the new Boss is glowing. What is the real story? Welcome comments. Regards, Scott

Not just limited to the Boss, the transmissions in the new Mustangs have had some problems. On that note, there are also ones who have zero problems. It seems like it is something you have to experience for yourself and see if you have the problem or not from what I've read.

I have noticed a few times not being able to go into second, but I was just assuming it is maybe just me cause the car is so new and I'm not familiar???

Stef

Stef, That might be "skip shift" activating...at a certain rpm & speed skip shift will block 2nd gear & make you shift to 4th. It's Ford way of avoiding the guzzler tax by improving mpg. Using trackey ( when it becomes available) will disable skip shift.

stef said:
I have noticed a few times not being able to go into second, but I was just assuming it is maybe just me cause the car is so new and I'm not familiar???

Stef

I have had noticed a similar issue, but I am able to get into 2nd, it is just stiff and takes a little extra pull. I did not see a skip-shift notice on dash - but I never have, so I am not sure what it looks like. I rarely shift at low rpms, so I don't think it is skip-shift. It does not happen often, possibly mostly when cold as someone pointed out.

UPDATE: I'm starting to think my shifting issue was user error. As I have get more drive time in and get more used to the pattern, the problem seems to have disappeared.

I've driven 5.5K miles and haven't had any shift problems. On the other hand, I have some older cars that do have transmission quirks and maybe I don't notice a transmission issue in the Boss. I guess I haven't been disappointed with the transmission as of yet.

I honestly love the shifter and transmission in the Boss so far. To me the shifter is far smoother than the GT500, particularly on the track. The transmission doesn't have the annoying grind or difficulty going into reverse like the Tremec does either. With 1000 track miles and 2000 street miles I have missed a sum total of 2 shifts, both on the track and both my fault just getting lax and not "finishing" the shift. I can't believe how smooth it is on track when running hard.

302BOB, I believe your right, its the 'skip shift'. I guess I having been babying it because not broken in yet
(under a 100, I know need to get out more) and thats all it was. This car shifts excellent otherwise.

Stef

I was having a problem shifting from 2nd to 3rd at high RPM. It happened a couple of times, but I am more inclined to say, due to the narrow gate, it was probably more operator error than a gearbox issue. As I put more miles on it, the better it gets, and the more I get used to it.

I am used to using just the heal of my hand to shift from 2 to 3, but with the cue ball (or 8 ball?) I find I need to hold the whole knob for an accurate shift.

Hi-
I have a new Yellow Blaze Boss 302 with 120 miles on it that grinds in 3rd & 5th gears / Can't put it into 3rd OR :mad:5th now. It was taken to the Ford dealer tuesday for the 'rep' to evaluate, and he says to repair with parts(That won't get to the root of the problem , just replacing some parts ) . The car was literally driven off the lot and sat for two weeks in my garage . While in my garage , the shifter locked up one time just trying to get this thing in neutral. The shifter boot also had a rip in it that was replaced last week . The dealership says it is trying to get a new transmission from Ford instead of taking this one apart , as their techs don't have any experience with the issues these China trans have experienced on the 2011 5.0 GT cars . I was told to go onto Youtube, and found a number of videos of 2011 GT Mustangs with similar issues. Ford , as usual, denys this / Transmissions are Getrag MT-82 units built in China to China quality standards(or lack of it ) , and shipped like cordwood to Ford , slammed into Mustangs , and sold to unsuspecting owners/ There is going to be much more heard from people with these trannys, as they fail . Also, the sound of this transmission when the gears grind is a sound that is unlike anything else that I have heard before. It must be a patented 'China Sound '/ I traded a 2010 GT500 Mustang in for this car until the new GT500 comes out next year , and feel I made a big mistake . Let me tell you that dealing with Ford on warranty claims like this is a real eye opener to say the least / They (Ford ) will admit to nothing , and this is with 120 miles on a new car !! Transmissions are defective, and many more out there !!
Buyers , be careful with this transmission ,as they won't even stand behind a new car ,let alone one with some miles on it

Bossblaze, sorry to hear about your bad tranny issues. It definitely makes it hard to enjoy a new car when you can't even shift into gears. Personally, mine hasn't had any major issues...other than me missing 3rd once, but that was all me I think cause it hasn't happened since.
Now I haven't driven a manual for roughly 8 years, but my 1st to 2nd shift feels a little notchy, and going 1st to 2nd at high RPM is something that I just haven't gotten down to where I can shift the car smoothly. I'm not sure if it's a tranny issue though, it may just be me not used to all the torque and hp this car has(the last stick I drove was a dodge omni...so yeah lol). But other than 1st to 2nd(which may be more user error than anything), I have no trouble with my transmission. I have just other 1,000 miles on her too.

Hang in there BossBlaze. You'll get a new trans and it'll be good as new. Mine and many, many others have great transmissions. The vast majority are fine.

Bossblaze said:
Hi-
I have a new Yellow Blaze Boss 302 with 120 miles on it that grinds in 3rd & 5th gears / Can't put it into 3rd OR :mad:5th now. It was taken to the Ford dealer tuesday for the 'rep' to evaluate, and he says to repair with parts(That won't get to the root of the problem , just replacing some parts ) . The car was literally driven off the lot and sat for two weeks in my garage . While in my garage , the shifter locked up one time just trying to get this thing in neutral. The shifter boot also had a rip in it that was replaced last week . The dealership says it is trying to get a new transmission from Ford instead of taking this one apart , as their techs don't have any experience with the issues these China trans have experienced on the 2011 5.0 GT cars . I was told to go onto Youtube, and found a number of videos of 2011 GT Mustangs with similar issues. Ford , as usual, denys this / Transmissions are Getrag MT-82 units built in China to China quality standards(or lack of it ) , and shipped like cordwood to Ford , slammed into Mustangs , and sold to unsuspecting owners/ There is going to be much more heard from people with these trannys, as they fail . Also, the sound of this transmission when the gears grind is a sound that is unlike anything else that I have heard before. It must be a patented 'China Sound '/ I traded a 2010 GT500 Mustang in for this car until the new GT500 comes out next year , and feel I made a big mistake . Let me tell you that dealing with Ford on warranty claims like this is a real eye opener to say the least / They (Ford ) will admit to nothing , and this is with 120 miles on a new car !! Transmissions are defective, and many more out there !!
Buyers , be careful with this transmission ,as they won't even stand behind a new car ,let alone one with some miles on it
Sorry to hear about his. I've had mine less than 24 hours and have just over 100 miles on the car and it shifts fine. I've done redline shifts into second and third with no issues. I use a very light touch with the shifter and it just pops into the next gear or downshift.

BTW China is the only country to EVER have a quality issue on any product ever made. :eek: Please keep this focused on the issue with the transmission and not a China bashing thread.

427mustang

68fb42769scj88drag car2012BossYB838 LS 760 SILVER
Boss 302#838 Fl. 600 miles last night i too had the problem in the first 200 miles didnt want to shift into second at 7,000,also funny noises when shifting at any speed last night my lady friend wanted to go fast she loves the sound without baffles,no broblem shifting up to 3 rd at 6,500 to 7,000 the shifter seems to be getting smoother also. Gary 427 Mustang

I've notice it feeling a bit notchy going from 1st to 2nd at a lower rpm, it shifts smoothly at 3000rpm's and above.I've got about 850 miles on it.

I also had some difficulty early on from 1st to 2nd under heavy acceleration, but more than anything I think it was my fault not that of the transmission. 1st to 2nd for me was the toughest to get used to doing smoothly, and this part of the pattern does seem to feel different than any other combination. But with 1600 miles on mine now, I'm much better at doing it and there doesn't seem to really be any flaw per se. I think it is just a specific characteristic of this transmission that 1st to 2nd is a bit tricky. Overall, so far so good.

This is very disheartening news to say the least. I'm taking delivery on mine next week. Bossblaze is right. Do some research on the Getrag MT82. It is not good. If I knew this before hand, this would of been a deal killer. We all spent $41,000.00+ for these cars, and this is what we get...so Ford could save a buck! At least I bought the extended warranty.

TMO Supporting Vendors