The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Transmission oil change

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve,
its funny that you point that high heat thing out.

if you check around, places like Currie do not recommend a synthetic gear lube for rear ends based on high heat issues that they have found and continue to have in the off road world.

there argument is sound and has been proven to hold true. standard "dino" type oils pull more of the heat out of the parts. leaving a longer lasting axle.

at first i did not believe, but i am now sold on that myself.

if i have any issues i am going to install my own diff coolers. using a mocal or a weldon high heat fluid pump.

steve

btw.
im using redline MTL for my gearbox. based on your recommendation ect. but for this rear i am changing to a non synthetic fluid.
does the torsen need a modifier?

gremlinsteve said:
btw.
im using redline MTL for my gearbox. based on your recommendation ect. but for this rear i am changing to a non synthetic fluid.
does the torsen need a modifier?
No it doesn't. Ford included it to make the diff quieter but it doesn't hurt to use it.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
gremlinsteve said:
steve,
its funny that you point that high heat thing out.

if you check around, places like Currie do not recommend a synthetic gear lube for rear ends based on high heat issues that they have found and continue to have in the off road world.

there argument is sound and has been proven to hold true. standard "dino" type oils pull more of the heat out of the parts. leaving a longer lasting axle.

at first i did not believe, but i am now sold on that myself.

I have read that too about the synthetics but Ford is very specific about using synthetic gear lube and the 75w140 for our cars so I didn't deviate. I haven't added friction modifier to my latest change (motorcraft) but the Royal Purple fluid I had in last change has it per mixed in. No real change in torsen noise still a little groaning on tight slow speed turns. What non synth lube are you going to try, Redline makes some very good products and I think they do a 85/140 shock proof in conventional blend. Will look into it more.
Steve

if i have any issues i am going to install my own diff coolers. using a mocal or a weldon high heat fluid pump.

steve

steveespo said:
No MTL has been OK and I really don't have any shiting, noise or lock out issues but the MTL hasn't been an earth shattering improvement either.

So your bowel movements have remained normal?

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
askjeffro said:
steveespo said:
No MTL has been OK and I really don't have any shiting, noise or lock out issues but the MTL hasn't been an earth shattering improvement either.

How does iPad spell check miss that one?
Both sHifting and the other thing are fine.
Steve

askjeffro said:
steveespo said:

I didn't think anyone else caught that, that was why I said he was putting the lube in the wrong hole

TMO Supporting Vendors