The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Transmission oil change

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm changing out my Trans fluid & here is a problem that has me stumped.

Here is my process:
1. Drained out old fluid no problem
2. Replacing fluid without any apparent issue, except that the trans will only take about 1.5 qts.

Note that I let the trans drain for about 45 minutes
Also note that I let the new oil settle for 10-12 minutes to see if it needed to trickle away from the fill area, but still after waiting it takes no more than the 1.5 qt. mentioned.

- Any ideas??
Thanks in advance for posting back.
Lee.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
question is the car level? and you are indeed using the correct fill port? should have been on the passenger side. takes a 10mm allen wrench to remove.

Justin said:
question is the car level? and you are indeed using the correct fill port? should have been on the passenger side. takes a 10mm allen wrench to remove.

Yesa & Yers.

-- Figured it out.
The trans *must* be in neutral!
thx.

Justin

lbp said:
Justin said:

Yesa & Yers.

-- Figured it out.
thx.
oh that is odd. Glad you figured it out.

Justin said:
lbp said:
Justin said:

Yes & Yes.

-- Figured it out.
thx.
oh that is odd. Glad you figured it out.

Jason,
It's in the Ford Service Manual, here:

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=940&viewfile=Transmission%20Draining%20and%20Filling.pdf

Jason,

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=940&viewfile=Transmission%20Draining%20and%20Filling.pdf

[/quote]Justin, I see what you are saying, I'm not Jason ;D I'm not the only one. Shirley, my name is Justin, but don't call me Shirley.

KYBOSSLS said:
Jason,

Justin, I see what you are saying, I'm not Jason ;D I'm not the only one. Shirley, my name is Justin, but don't call me Shirley.
[/quote]
KYBOSSLS said:
Jason,

Justin, I see what you are saying, I'm not Jason ;D I'm not the only one. Shirley, my name is Justin, but don't call me Shirley.
[/quote]

OK, Thanks Sam,.. I mean Sue.. ::) ::) ::)

Dvendet

Everyone's entitled to my opinion. ;)
lbp said:

lbp,
Thanx for this insight regarding the trans. FYI- links from this website do not work for iPads.

MMD

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Lee - hope you didn't use that machete trying to install that rear diff fluid reservior yesterday ! ;D

So after all the BS, when you put it in neutral you were able to add another quart? That is what "figured it out" meant? Why would sliding the gear set to neutral increase the sump capacity by a quart?

Can't make sense of how the transmission internals would cause such an effect. Any techs on here to explain why it works this way?

I interpreted the instruction to put it in neutral as possibly part of the action of placing it on the lift (though I can't see any reason for that either).

I don't know the number of types of transmissions I've refilled, but it has to be dozens. None of them had such a requirement to get the proper amount of fluid in. I've never put a transmission in neutral to raise it on a lift as I want it to be immoveable while I'm positioning the arms. If I want it in neutral, I put it there once I've got it on the arms. I'd rate those instructions from Ford as D- for explanation (not procedure).

Am I the only one scratching their head on this one?

Mike

BossDuke said:
So after all the BS, when you put it in neutral you were able to add another quart? That is what "figured it out" meant? Why would sliding the gear set to neutral increase the sump capacity by a quart?

Can't make sense of how the transmission internals would cause such an effect. Any techs on here to explain why it works this way?

I interpreted the instruction to put it in neutral as possibly part of the action of placing it on the lift (though I can't see any reason for that either).

I don't know the number of types of transmissions I've refilled, but it has to be dozens. None of them had such a requirement to get the proper amount of fluid in. I've never put a transmission in neutral to raise it on a lift as I want it to be immoveable while I'm positioning the arms. If I want it in neutral, I put it there once I've got it on the arms. I'd rate those instructions from Ford as D- for explanation (not procedure).

Am I the only one scratching their head on this one?

Mike

Yes, - The only thing I can think is that neutral moves the linkage in such a way as to allow the fill tube I used & its flow unobstructed passage..

The only thing that bothered me about the FOMOCO doc was that it instructs to fill "within 1/8 in." of the fill hole; then later it mentions fill capacity as 2.7 QT.

However, when I fill the trans, to get it up to the bottom of the fill hole is more than 2.6 qt. (2.7 L.), and I added up to 150cc more than 2.7 L before stopping..

Justin

my guess from the below exploded view is it pulls a blocker ring or something away from the middle wall where the fluid passes through.

mt-82-assembly-manual.jpg

Sesshomurai

Sorry to piggyback on this thread, but its germane.

What oil type/weight etc. should I use to replace the OEM fluid in my 2012 for high performance use? I hear Redline MTL is recommended? What weight etc?

TMO Supporting Vendors