The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Transmission (or suspension?) noises

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atrain1975

Since my shifts are fine, I'm thinking this might be a suspension issue and so I'm revising the post. Again, it's a groaning noise when i go over a speed bump or accelerate from 0 when the car is warm. It is particularly bad when I go over a speed bump at an angle, so that one wheel goes over a bit before the other. I live on a street with speed bumps.

Thanks,

Alex

atrain1975

Re: Transmission Noises

If I describe the noise as a clunk, does that ring any bells? I have found references to a clunking noise on TMS. Awfully quiet out there and it's making me nervous.

There has been a lot of complaints about this transmission in the Boss and GT. If there is a problem I'm hopeful Ford will come through and take care of any issues.

atrain1975 said:
If I describe the noise as a clunk, does that ring any bells? I have found references to a clunking noise on TMS. Awfully quiet out there and it's making me nervous.

No clunking once it's in gear. I would put your car on a lift and make sure swaybar mounts are tight.

The front LCAs on my GT500were replaced on a TSB with the bigger (19mm) ball joint shaft and the newly improved hydro bushing. The groaning went away but they still clunk when going slow over over driveways or speed bumps where one wheel goes up first. I haven't paid attention to the Boss to notice if it does as well, but wouldn't be surprised as it appears to be the same LCA and bushing design.

The transmission is great and works like it should on a performance car IMHO.

atrain1975

Thanks, Gary. That sounds like something that could be causing the noise I hear. I'll bring this up with the dealership.

atrain1975

The groaning/creaking/grunting front suspension noise seems to be an epidemic. TMS has two threads where people are complaining about this issue. I started one of the threads about a month ago and got little response, but in the past two weeks, a bunch of owners have notice the problem. I suspect with increasing summer ambient temperatures, even more owners will notice the problem; it is particularly bad on my car when it's hot and the car is warmed up. My car goes to the dealer on Monday and it will likely take few days to diagnose, if they can reproduce the problem, since the car is getting an oil change and replacement hood sticker.

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f813/3-000-miles-heres-what-i-noticed-496773/

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f813/front-lca-bushing-noises-496351/

TMO Supporting Vendors