The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Transmission Problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

As I was rolling up to a stop sign I pressed the clutch in, hit the brake and the car chugged to a stop and died. The clutch felt like it would not disengage. The car was off at this point, I was able to shift it fine with the car off but if the car is running you cannot put it into gear. The clutch pedal feels pretty normal, but you cannot change gears with the car running. I limped it home by starting it in 4th gear. I think the clutch has failed but I'm not 100%. If I start the car in neutral, depress the clutch pedal and try to push it into any gear it just feels like I am being locked out of gear. It doesn't grind, it just will not allow the gear change to happen. One thing that it does do is cause the car to start to creep forward like something is grabbing when I apply pressure on the shifter to place it into a gear. I hope I explained this well, please feel free to ask questions and to comment. I want to take it to the dealer today but I'm afraid they will deny any possible warranty claim because the MGW Racespec shifter I have installed. There is no problem with the shifter, I got under the car and everything is still connected. It drives fine while in gear, I just cannot change gears with the engine running.

Adam

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
The Warranty rep works for Ford. If you think he is acting incorrectly, contact ford. The Dealership has no option but to work with this guy. Le ford know he is doing what he is doing. Could help.
To not give you the clutch and deny ANY warranty work on the trans BEFORE the work s done, could put Ford in a bad position. Let Ford know.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
So I got the Boss back...before I complain about the warranty rep at the dealership let me say I wish the car had come like this from the factory. I put about 100 miles on it before I stomped on it but it's a night and day difference. Doesn't matter what RPM I shift at there are no longer anymore shifting issues. It goes into gear at 7.5k the same as it does at 2k. It honestly made me fall in love with the car all over again because now I can actually shift it!!!

As for the service done at the dealership. The shop foreman did all the work on the car and he did great work. What I'm not happy about is they wouldn't give me the clutch Ford was willing to replace under warranty. I'm a little bit salty that they charged me for labor since they were going to replace the clutch anyway but I guess maybe I shouldn't complain. It cost me $250 in labor to get a new clutch, flywheel, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, and stainless clutch line installed as well as a new 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear set. I wonder if the dealership charged Ford and charged me also for the labor, call it double dipping. Anyway, let me know what you guys think. Should I just be happy with the car or call Ford and see if I can get that clutch that is apparently $800 from Ford? Thanks

Adam

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
The cars shifts right. Do you still want to fight? Up to you.

I replaced my clutch at 7000 miles. Best move I made regarding shifting. I do all my own work.

You ended up with a $4500.00 repair and paid $250.00 for labor on an upgrade. Could be worse.

While the potential double dipping would be very shady...

I'd just take what you've got and run. As a comparison, I had to pay roughly $700 just to drop the transmission, remove the clutch and flywheel and swap out the CJ pulse ring. That $700 was all labor as the pulse ring (which is only $60 anyways) was the OEM piece that I provided to them. Oh, plus another $120 in labor for them to perform the CKP relearn procedure...

I think you've faired really well in this. Best of all, the car WORKS!

Glad it's back together and working properly. Another example of the under achieving clutch causing most of the trans problems.

For any of you reading this and thinking about upgrading your clutch hit your dealer before your warranty expires and see if they will help you out. Or just start going in weekly complaining about not being able to shift at high RPM's.

Regarding going after the dealer or rep I think Paul said it best.

https://youtu.be/u6T5C-jzSH0

Good for you Adam! From one gsxr guy to another. The ford gods were smiling down on you! 250 bucks for all those parts and labor.....

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
That's what I figured...leave it be and just drive!!! Thanks guys

PS...I'm doing a road trip in the Boss from TX to IL starting Sunday. I figured I've owned the car since new and I don't drive it enough so I'm gonna have some fun.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel