The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Transmission removal questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I am taking out my MT82 for a syncro repair on fifth gear, though I would do it myself to save some money... (o_O) So far have the xpipe and drive shaft off, but getting the starter motor off is a real pain in the ass. Found that one of the top bellhousing bolts is missing and that the starter is attached with one bolt.. the hard to get one naturally!! Car is jacked up and am doing it on my back. Raining today so taking a break and looking for help!

I seem to remember reading that the race cars leave the top two bolts off? was that right?? Also is it humanly feasible to get the starter bolts off with the header in place??

Any hints and tips would be greatly appreciated!!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Starter bolt: These do seem to back out on their own (not useful). To remove the bolts, you will need a set of long extensions to reach the bolt from near the front of the car (by/behind radiator).

Phoenix Performance guys leave top two bolts out on bellhousing but they are probably servicing quite a bit more than we are.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I wish I had a simple solution for you. I don't.
The good news, yes you can get the starter out with headers in place, it just sucks. Flexible sockets and ratchet are helpful. It took me 30 minutes on my back to get the started out when I R&I'd my trans for a clutch.
One thing to be aware of. When lowering and replacing the trans, a jack which fits to the round bottom of the trans housing is key. A flat topped jack, like the torture machine I had, is not recommended. Either get a jack with a rounded cradle, make a cradle or find someway to attach the trans to the rack. The jack I had was Great for automatic transmissions, flat topped. Not so goodly for a manual with a round bottom.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Thanks guys.... it is a flat topped jack so will have to make a cradle with some wood I guess. Will give it a try tomorrow with some long extensions To wet and cold today.

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel