The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

TREMEC S197 T-56 Magnum XL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anyone tried the TREMEC S197 T-56 Magnum XL conversion for track use?

Thanks in advance for any response.

I have run one in my car for the last year and a half with no issues. I chose the close ratio gearbox (2.66) and then swapped Over drive clusters in order to make it as close ratio as possible. Not sure why Tremec chose the gearing they did on the O/D. I also swapped my rear gear to a 4.10 in order to compensate for the gears in the transmission. If you have an specific questions I could answer, please let me know.

Tremec announced their new Magnum XLR 6-spd at SEMA earlier this month. It's described as being optimized for road racing. FRS is using this tranny in their new Boss 302 school cars. No info yet on specifics like gear ratios, but might be worth waiting to find out the details.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=KkSAfDi9hOE

Thanks guys fro replying & both responses are in line with my thought process which is (was) to match the gears in the 302R transmission with 373 rear.

However, with dabossinne's post, I definitely will be waiting to see the ratios on the new rr box!!! ...cool thx for that info.

- Many Thanks both dabossinne and wwilde001!

- Any opinions or experiences on clutch choice?
I see lots of guys liking McLeod.

I have an Exedy Mach 700 in the MT-82 which has been great but think I may go with the Exedy R EH04SD1 Hyper Single for the Tremec.

I'm probably going to stick with Exedy for the simple reason that it works and Exedy's support throughout has been impeccable.

Here is some information on the 302R transmission (Ford's ratios used with 3:73):

Boss 302R1 Six Speed Transmission - Ford Racing M-7003-BOSSR1 UPC: 756122118269
Gear ratios; 1st: 2.99, 2nd: 1.61, 3rd:1.21, 4th: 1.00, 5th: .82, 6th: .68

wwilde001 said:
I am running the Exedy Hyper Single. No issues what-so-ever with this clutch.

- Are you running the stock ford/exedy release bearing (it is the same unit according to Exedy)?

Anyone tried the Tilton 60-6105?

It is a stock Ford release bearing, and am almost positive it is the stock unit. You might want to call JPC racing and pick their brain. They have put together some nice packages and were some of the first ones to develop the package for this tranny.

lbp said:
Here is some information on the 302R transmission (Ford's ratios used with 3:73):

Boss 302R1 Six Speed Transmission - Ford Racing M-7003-BOSSR1 UPC: 756122118269
Gear ratios; 1st: 2.99, 2nd: 1.61, 3rd:1.21, 4th: 1.00, 5th: .82, 6th: .68

Careful here, this transmission is the one Ford use on the Boss302R and I don't think it's the same as Dabossinne was talking about.

This one has no speedometer output which mean you have to find another way to know your actual speed (GPS),
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=11826

Swiss Boss said:
Careful here, this transmission is the one Ford use on the Boss302R and I don't think it's the same as Dabossinne was talking about.

This one has no speedometer output which mean you have to find another way to know your actual speed (GPS),
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=11826

Yes, correct - it is different.
It has better ratios and I don't look at my speedometer. (this is a track-only car).
However, it is more expensive.
It also takes an aluminum bellhousing which saves about 15+ lbs., although the safety of a steel BH may be a good enough reason to reconsider that factor!

Sorry I taught you implied they were the same.

Yes it's one of the best gear ratio I found for a race car. To bad there no speedo output as I still drive mine on the street.
Coupled with a 3.90 rear end, that would be awesome.

Swiss Boss said:
Sorry I taught you implied they were the same.

Yes it's one of the best gear ratio I found for a race car. To bad there no speedo output as I still drive mine on the street.
Coupled with a 3.90 rear end, that would be awesome.

Thanks Buddy, it's all good!!

TMO Supporting Vendors