The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Tri-Bar's Ride Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Got the Kenny Brown Front Grip Kit installed. I started early in the morning, about 8:45 am. Had it all installed by 2:00pm. Most of it was really easy. The big hold up was the motor mounts. For the life of me I could not get the bolts to drop through the K-member. They just did not line up. After kicking my self in the head for a bit. I rethought about what was going on and changed tactics. I put a floor jack under the transmission, undid the 4 crossmember bolts, placed a ratchet strap from the radiator support to the rear of the trans crossmember and pull everything forward. bolts fell right into place.

20220303_091938.jpg

20220303_194229.jpg

20220303_194235.jpg

20220303_194243.jpg

Last edited:
Yesterday I got a little more done. New brake ducting installed. The old stuff had eaten itself up. So out with the black low temp in with the orange Hi-temp stuff. I got around to getting the Kenny Brown/Fluidyne 3-Row, 3-pass radiator in. As with most aluminum radiators, it was a simple install and dropped right in.

Last edited:
Todays update: New spark plugs installed. Ball joints and tie rod greased. Fuel leak at the fuel pump hat return line fixed...I hope. I few other odds and ends. Hope tomorrow will have another update...with photos!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Todays update: New spark plugs installed. Ball joints and tie rod greased. Fuel leak at the fuel pump hat return line fixed...I hope. I few other odds and ends. Hope tomorrow will have another update...with photos!
Almost there!

Nice! How did the new setup feel?

I would try to put the seat as low as possible. The helmets proximity to the cage is quite scary, even with SFI padding.
Car felt really good, made shock setting changed until I could really put the power down. Still thinking about dropping the rear rate down by 50lbs. My toe out may be a little to much. 56* total toe is to much. The front is biting real hard. The new brakes are OMG good. They are worth every penny. I know about the seat, I really need to swap in one that I can get lower. This one is as low as I can get it. Once I get it all dialed in, I will do a review and a write up on the setup.

Last edited:
So I got a wild hair up my butt. I swapped out the Kenny Brown K-Link for His roll center relocation kit. I want to do back to back at the track on my next test day run at Button Willow.

20220503_121620.jpg

20220503_121655.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
So I got a wild hair up my butt. I swapped out the Kenny Brown K-Link for His roll center relocation kit. I want to do back to back at the track on my next test day run at Button Willow.

View attachment 75548

View attachment 75549
That will be interesting. Remember, Kenny doesn’t reccomend a rear sway bar with either of his kits. Might also try without one while you are testing.

That will be interesting. Remember, Kenny doesn’t reccomend a rear sway bar with either of his kits. Might also try without one while you are testing.
Sal, That's not a sway bar, that's a coat hanger. I can bend it with my hand, that thing has so much flex, It's really there just to take up space and I like the way it looks. With the K-link, you can't even install a sway bar. The rear connection points for the K-link mount is at the sway bar hangers. I think Imsa told the teams they needed a rear sway bar because the street car had them. I know Roush started using them then the other teams had them too. The 2013 Boss 302S came with them stock from Watson, That's what this one is. It's really there for looks.

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Sal, That's not a sway bar, that's a coat hanger. I can bend it with my hand, that thing has so much flex, It's really there just to take up space and I like the way it looks. With the K-link, you can't even install a sway bar. The rear connection points for the K-link mount is at the sway bar hangers. I think Imsa told the teams they needed a rear sway bar because the street car had them. I know Roush started using them then the other teams had them too. The 2013 Boss 302S came with them stock from Watson, That's what this one is. It's really there for looks.
Yeah, that’s pretty small alright.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Pay attention to the balance under transition, particularly when trail braking and going from weight transfer on the nose to weight transfer on the side of the car. And then how early you can feed in the throttle on exit without excessive oversteer - and even how smooth/catchable the transition to oversteer is.

Well, it's been awhile. Still making changes to the car. New seat. Put the K-link back in. Replaced the trunk and put the Steeda/Imsa wing back on. Removed the World Challenge Splitter and put the Street Boss splitter back on. Not sure if that ones going to stay on or not.
Why you may ask did I take the big wing and WC splitter off? I like the R-Model styling, It's cleaner, not in your face, loading in and out of my trailer is much easier. I can use a car cover and it covers the whole car. I'm not trying to get every inch of performance out of her as I can. and last but not least, It's the aero I'm use to and has been on the car most of it's life.

20220121_182619.jpg

20220706_182504.jpg

20220712_073845.jpg

20220713_173702.jpg

20220713_173714.jpg

20220714_085658.jpg

Got board, Changed out the Cobra Jet Grille for the Boss 302S one. Cleaned up and painted the lower grille and re-installed it, now with 6mm bolts instead of push pins. Removed the Street splitter. Now I can Track or Autocross without any changes.

20220718_112455.jpg

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors