The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tried an M3 to compare

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5 DOT 0 said:
My favorite quote from the article:

"Now to be fair BMW ran the new M5 — yes the one with the fake engine noises — in One Lap and it won its "Luxury Sedan" class. So my point is that BMW no longer makes high performance automobiles known as the Ultimate Driving Machine. They now make luxury automobiles that are the ultimate motorsport poser mobile."

Hopefully you guys read the comments at the end of the article. ;D

Spot on with the fake engine noises comment. This is a perfect example of the kind of nonsense coming out of BMW these days. And an M badged SUV is just an insult. The E30 M3 was such a pure and beautiful homologation special. Or remember the CSL "Batmobile" from the 70's? That car was just awesome. Such a shame where the brand has gone.

Porsche is piping in engine sounds into the interior now as well. I thought it was a gimmick when ford did it, and it's even worse when BMW and Porche do it. My sound tube came off immediately. Cheesy.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
years from now I wonder how much one of those sound tubes will be worth? hurry more people throw them away I need them to become more rare lol

Justin said:
Cartman said:
I'll just leave this here ;D. The "M" stands for "marketing" these days not "motorsport".

http://jalopnik.com/5924573/the-death-of-bmws-m-brand
nice link. Reminds me of how chevy puts SS on everything.....everything...cobalt ss really? Whats next Volt SS?

Actually, the last iteration of the Cobalt SS was a very good car. C&D tested it head to head against the usual suspects in that class and they liked it better than the Mini, the WRX, and several others. It had a 260HP direct-injected turbo four, Recaros standard, pulled .92g on the skidpad, 0-60 in 5.4 seconds and 1/4 mile in high 13's.. Not bad for a $24,000 car. There are a few easy mods that will get them into the 12's in the 1/4 mile. One of Chevy's better efforts.

Now the current Malibu SS? Please....

CrashTex

Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow
My previous car was a BMW.... Fantastic machine-- had it for 7 years and I loved it. I'd buy another BMW again in a heartbeat. The Boss, though, was just so visceral... A tremendously engaging car to drive, from the power to the sound and handling.

I could've bought a 2011 M3 from a friend of mine, and I was close.... More $$$ than the Boss, but it was pretty loaded. Incredibly sweet car. Drove it, and while the DCT is in just about every way superior to a manual, it's just not as fun to drive when you're missing a pedal.

So I bought the Boss and clearly, I love it. On a side note, we came up side by side at a red light last week.... The Boss took the M3, quite handily. At a track, with his DCT and more importantly, his experience and training on the track, I'm sure I'd be very fortunate to hang with him. None-the-less, I was pretty damn pleased to be driving a car that can even be mentioned in the same sentance as the venerable M3 (wherever else BMW's M division has lost their way, the M3 remains the epitome of their product vision).

CrashTex said:
My previous car was a BMW.... Fantastic machine-- had it for 7 years and I loved it. I'd buy another BMW again in a heartbeat. The Boss, though, was just so visceral... A tremendously engaging car to drive, from the power to the sound and handling.

I could've bought a 2011 M3 from a friend of mine, and I was close.... More $$$ than the Boss, but it was pretty loaded. Incredibly sweet car. Drove it, and while the DCT is in just about every way superior to a manual, it's just not as fun to drive when you're missing a pedal.

So I bought the Boss and clearly, I love it. On a side note, we came up side by side at a red light last week.... The Boss took the M3, quite handily. At a track, with his DCT and more importantly, his experience and training on the track, I'm sure I'd be very fortunate to hang with him. None-the-less, I was pretty damn pleased to be driving a car that can even be mentioned in the same sentance as the venerable M3 (wherever else BMW's M division has lost their way, the M3 remains the epitome of their product vision).
Well stated.

TMO Supporting Vendors