The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tried an M3 to compare

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ran into a friend last week that has an M3 and we spent some time driving the hell out of each others cars. It was like the magazines have said the BMW had nothing happening untill you hit 5 grand then it started to pull right to 8400 but not as hard as ours. When he drove mine he was just in heven when everytime he hit another gear he would just ease into the throttlle and it started to pull. The shifter in mine is ok but the mwg is going to be way better and is super tight compared to the M3 and the real big kicker was when we compared price and he was about 30 grand more so he did get a little more electronics.

MA
Interesting review. I never drove an M3 but really want to. I love those cars.

The 30k gets you a lot of refinement though. But at the end of the day the Boss is a tad faster!

My boss had a new M3 (hard top convertible) and it pulled pretty good, but not as hard as the boss. The handling is pretty amazing though, and definitely a beautiful car.

I can't lie, if I had the money, I would by a M3! I love that car!!! It looks good, drives great, and just oozes confidence...

...Damn I must have bumped my head! :D If I had the money, I would have a 2013 GT 500!!!! ;)

Ben

MA
I love the DCT of the M3. I haven't driven one, but these tranny's have come a long way.

If the 2013 GT500 had this feature, I'd have already parked one in my garage.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I make fun of my buddy that bought a 2005 M3 all the time. I tried for a long time to get him to buy a used 2011 GT with brembo package. He got turned around by someone and ended up with a M3. Then he went for a ride in my friends 2012 GT with brembo package....he now hates himself lol

MA
Justin said:
I make fun of my buddy that bought a 2005 M3 all the time. I tried for a long time to get him to buy a used 2011 GT with brembo package. He got turned around by someone and ended up with a M3. Then he went for a ride in my friends 2012 GT with brembo package....he now hates himself lol

The 05 M3 was still the inline 6 motor, right?

How much was the M3? Same range as a used 2011 GT?

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
SVT1 said:
Justin said:

The 05 M3 was still the inline 6 motor, right?

How much was the M3? Same range as a used 2011 GT?
he paid around 18k for the M3 a Used GT could have been had for more I know but in the end I think it would have been worth it as he dumped 5 k in the car right after he bought it. coil overs and wheels...that was it. My big argument was that it cost so much money to mod a M3. I had him sold then I left the ship mid deployment and they get back and I see him in the P-Way and he bought a M3.

The only car I have buyer's remorse over was the 2011 BMW 1-Series M. About the same price as a Boss, and very nearly as fast as an M3. I'm not a BMW person, and I did not realize they were only making them one year and only selling 1000 in the US. Used ones are already selling for more than MSRP, and probably will for quite some time. I saw one at the Denver Auto Show and fell in love, but decided to "wait and see". I waited too long.

MA
coboss said:
The only car I have buyer's remorse over was the 2011 BMW 1-Series M. About the same price as a Boss, and very nearly as fast as an M3. I'm not a BMW person, and I did not realize they were only making them one year and only selling 1000 in the US. Used ones are already selling for more than MSRP, and probably will for quite some time. I saw one at the Denver Auto Show and fell in love, but decided to "wait and see". I waited too long.

Don't feel too bad about it.

There were 2 of those at my HPDE yesterday.

They are nice but are easy fodder for a Boss. I was surprised as I thought they made 370 HP?

The 1-Series M is something I would really like to drive. The reviews on it were love it or hate it. I recall Motor Trend blasted it for its handling, but Clarkson loved it.

The second they started slapping "M" badges on SUVs I tuned out.

Having said that, I've a good amount of respect for the M3's. The Boss is faster, sure, but the M3 is reasonably close on many tracks, and does it while providing a divine degree of luxury. That isn't what I was looking for, though - Boss was a better fit for me, for what I wanted. I've other cars for the luxury experience, when I want that.

Justin said:
Cartman said:
I'll just leave this here ;D. The "M" stands for "marketing" these days not "motorsport".

http://jalopnik.com/5924573/the-death-of-bmws-m-brand
nice link. Reminds me of how chevy puts SS on everything.....everything...cobalt ss really? Whats next Volt SS?

They are making a new model named the SS, that is what's next.

I looked at the 1M and a few other BMWs over the last few years but just can not pull the trigger due to past experience with the brand. The last modern BMW I had started to fall apart on the way out of the dealer (motor mount sheered at about 300 miles, motor was hanging out the bottom of the car) and kept falling apart until I traded it in. Many of my friends have had similar results. My E30 is still running strong, some day I would like to add an E30 M3 to the stable. My bro's M5 has not had any major issues (dealer bent one of his rims doing an oil change is about it ::) ) but he only put like 20k miles on it over the last 5 years.

My favorite quote from the article:

"Now to be fair BMW ran the new M5 — yes the one with the fake engine noises — in One Lap and it won its "Luxury Sedan" class. So my point is that BMW no longer makes high performance automobiles known as the Ultimate Driving Machine. They now make luxury automobiles that are the ultimate motorsport poser mobile."

Hopefully you guys read the comments at the end of the article. ;D

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Wanted an M3 for years, and even thought about an M1 after driving one a couple of years back. But though I had driven a ton of friend's BMWs it only took two laps at an Autocross at Motorsports Park Hastings ( Hastings , Ne. ) , and three laps on the track in a 2012 LS and I forgot all about those BMWs I had wanted over the years. In other words the BMW lust was now in the dust, and the Boss proved to me who was the big Hoss!!

Never sold a bunch of toys to get a Bimmer, but did it in a minute to get a B302!!!!

BLAZN BOSS

Build Your Own 2012 M3 Coupe
Exterior Interior Packages Options Accessories Summary

EXTERIOR: INTERIOR: My M3 Coupe Details 4.0-liter, V-8 engine
Rear-wheel drive
See all standard features .BASE MSRP$60,100.Le Mans Blue Metallic$550.Palladium Silver/Black/Black$300.Blue-gray Brushed Aluminium Trim$0.Cold Weather Package$750.Competition Package$2,500.Premium Package$4,350.M Double-clutch Transmission with Drivelogic$2,900.Moonroof$0.BMW Apps$250.Enhanced Premium Sound$1,900.Satellite radio with 1 year subscription$350.Automatic high beams$250.BMW Assist Convenience Plan$199.BMW Maintenance Program Upgrade$3,295.Destination & Handling:$895.Gas Guzzler Tax:$1300.BMW Ultimate Service™
A suite of premium benefits that are included at no cost with all new BMW Vehicles.4 Years/50,000 Miles WarrantyIncluded4 Years/50,000 Miles
Maintenance ProgramIncluded4 Years/Unlimited Mileage
Roadside AssistanceIncluded.TOTAL MSRP AS BUILT$79,889.

I'll keep my Boss...........

TMO Supporting Vendors