The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Trip to the Dealer may be in order

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looks like I might be off to the Dealer this week....just noticed oil on the garage floor which seems to be coming from both ends of the bell housing. Can't tell whether it's enigine or transmission oil though. :(

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
Yikes! I have had no leaks so far at 22000 miles. I am actually impressed since every ford V8 I have has a little something to give every once in a while. Sounds like a main seal. As they will be dropping the trans almost certainly, it is time to consider replacing the clutch? If I had to do this, I mightconsider a new clutch. I guess it depends on mileage though.

Aren't warranties wonderful? Good luck.

Thanks guys, hoping to get her in tomorrow. Wasn't expecting any oil leaks with just 2.6k on the clock though. Hopefully, they'll sort her out promptly. It's ironic as the box was just loosening up nicely with only slight notchiness on 3rd.

Similar symptoms on my car at 18k.
I also found oil spots on the floor. Definitely a wtf moment.
It was hard to tell the source because of the path the leak followed.
Also had oil in the valley which made it look worse.
Dealer spent a day chasing the oil trail - turned out be a bad rocker cover gasket.
Clean and dry since.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Dazzerboy68 said:
Looks like I might be off to the Dealer this week....just noticed oil on the garage floor which seems to be coming from both ends of the bell housing. Can't tell whether it's enigine or transmission oil though. :(

Bell Housing? Made me think about my car at 2,000 miles when I found oil on the garage floor that looked like engine oil. Turned out it was coming from the top of the transmission. There is a vent and vent check valve up there that was defective and when the Trans oil was hot, expansion would spit it out of the top vent.

Drip down both sides of the bell housing and looked like it was coming from the top back side of the engine. Tip was it smelled different than engine oil.

Dealer has to remove the transmission to reach the valve. So it's just something to know if the dealer has difficulty finding the source of your leak.

Good luck and let us know what your dealer finds on your car.
All the Best,
302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro said:
Bell Housing? Made me think about my car at 2,000 miles when I found oil on the garage floor that looked like engine oil. Turned out it was coming from the top of the transmission. There is a vent and vent check valve up there that was defective and when the Trans oil was hot, expansion would spit it out of the top vent.

Drip down both sides of the bell housing and looked like it was coming from the top back side of the engine. Tip was it smelled different than engine oil.

Dealer has to remove the transmission to reach the valve. So it's just something to know if the dealer has difficulty finding the source of your leak.

Good luck and let us know what your dealer finds on your car.
All the Best,
302 Hi Pro

Thanks for the info 302 Hi Pro. Had another look last night and there's quite a bit of oil on the transmission in various places with no clear sign of origin so hopefully it's something simple like a vent, will post an update once she's been to the dealer.

Just back from the dealer, looks like I have a seal gone. Little puzzled though as they don't have the necessary tools to do the job.....thought we had standard GT transmissions..?

What was good though was the attention 'Sally' received from various people, lost count how many nice car comments she got. Enquired about a Shelby out of interest as I was there and even the salesmen were saying that the Boss was the one to have. :D

Dazzerboy68 said:
Just back from the dealer, looks like I have a seal gone. Little puzzled though as they don't have the necessary tools to do the job.....thought we had standard GT transmissions..?

What was good though was the attention 'Sally' received from various people, lost count how many nice car comments she got. Enquired about a Shelby out of interest as I was there and even the salesmen were saying that the Boss was the one to have. :D

Looks like I have the same, the oil gets down from the top of the driver side of the transmission, almost towards the end of the transmission. Does anyone has a picture or any further details about that seal or valve? Does it really requires to pull the transmission? If yes I guess it would be a good time to replace the clutch with a lighter and more enduring one?

I still have more than enough oil in the transmission (checked the level), it is not a big loss of transmission fluid, so no issues driving, but need to fix it anyway.

The dealer reckons mine is the transfer case seal. Still waiting for it to be fixed because when she went in they cleaned the oil leak to confirm the exact source but weren't able to trace the issue as the leak is so minor. Didn't want to leave her there for them to put miles on her so will take her back when I have time now she's dripping again. They did add dye to the engine oil to make sure it's not from the crank seal.

Good luck with yours, hope they sort it.

I'm not a transmission expert but the last time I heard the term (transfer case) they were reffering to a 4 wheel drive transmission. what is the transfer case on a Boss??

TMO Supporting Vendors